Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

15 of the guys are going to hang themselves apparently if they move in and have nooses setup on the balcony.

McDowell isn't much of a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Ag marbh wrote:
    15 of the guys are going to hang themselves apparently if they move in and have nooses setup on the balcony.
    that is the most stupid thing i've ever heard. they're acting like hormonal emo teenages whos parents wont let them go to the 'my chemical romance' concert. is this any way for grown men to behaive? their applications havnt even been processed. idiotic carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭juslookin

Don't you mean

Some men who CLAIM to be Afghan (proof?)

Who CLAIM to be in danger if returned to Afghanistan (proof?)

Who CLAIM to have been on hunger strike while occupying St Patricks Cathederal (proof?)

Now CLAIM they will hang themselves (proof?)

If their claims and demands are not met

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ag marbh wrote:

lol, hanging doesn't equal instant death, the Gardaí probably have garden shears are the ready for the fools

DaveMcG wrote:
    lol, hanging doesn't equal instant death, the Gardaí probably have garden shears are the ready for the fools

Em. It can if you break your neck and snap your wind pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ag marbh wrote:
    Em. It can if you break your neck and snap your wind pipe.
    Can if done under the right circumstances, from the right height, etc. Do we know where they're gonna be hanging themselves from? Or what with? They've probably got a few of those red velvet ropes, about the span of your arms. Or else they've improvised ropes out of their beds, and they'll just snap, and the protesters end up limping into a waiting Garda van :D

Is there any further updates? Ag marbh, I'm sure with your level of closeness to these lads you've got the inside scoop... I thought the Gardaí were moving in at 7pm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

DaveMcG wrote:
    Can if done under the right circumstances, from the right height, etc. Do we know where they're gonna be hanging themselves from? Or what with? They've probably got a few of those red velvet ropes, about the span of your arms. Or else they've improvised ropes out of their beds, and they'll just snap, and the protesters end up limping into a waiting Garda van :D

Is there any further updates? Ag marbh, I'm sure with your level of closeness to these lads you've got the inside scoop... I thought the Gardaí were moving in at 7pm?

I think they had second thoughts when they went in to find some of the men on the organ loft with ropes around their necks:mad:

DaveMcG wrote:

You make death from hanging sound like a freak accident. Good to see aul DaveMcG is remaining lighthearted in this grim situation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Wouldn't it be very sore if the drop didn't kill you outright and your beard was tangled in the rope?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

they seem to have that red " Do not cross" Velvet rope around there necks..photo from sky news here >> http://newswire99.blogspot.com/
    pretty shoddy i think

• Advertisement

Also just seen a camera phone picture of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

The reference I made re trolling did not concern tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm sorry these guys came from a nightmare country but they have to understand that coming here and being welcomed is on our terms. And one of those terms is following our asylum system which has UN backing.

Actions such as these will strengthen Irish hatred against refugees or even our new immigrants.

TBH, I'd rather seen them hang themselves then give in to their demands. I know that sounds harsh but accepting such actions as the norm will lead to more extreme actions.

Out of all of this, I feel more sorry for the genuine asylum seekers who are probably going have to deal with the public backlash from this.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Heinrich wrote:
    The reference I made re trolling did not concern tbh

</hissyfit> :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Helen876

I've been reading through some of the posts on this situation and I am really shocked at the lack of compassion displayed by many of the posters. No matter what your opinion is on whether they are doing the right thing or not, surely you have to agree that hunger striking is an extreme response to a desperate situation. Not something that is embarked upon lightly by any human being. Not something that can really be compared to teenage sulks.

By refusing food (and some of them water) they have demonstrated that they are serious about this. We don't know what kind of circumstances they have come from in Afghanistan, but I am willing to bet that it is a damn sight less comfortable than our own. We should try to understand what has driven them to this and show a bit more compassion. Blaming them for their own misfortune just doesn't cut it.

Helen876 wrote:
    I've been reading through some of the posts on this situation and I am really shocked at the lack of compassion displayed by many of the posters. No matter what your opinion is on whether they are doing the right thing or not, surely you have to agree that hunger striking is an extreme response to a desperate situation. Not something that is embarked upon lightly by any human being. Not something that can really be compared to teenage sulks.

By refusing food (and some of them water) they have demonstrated that they are serious about this. We don't know what kind of circumstances they have come from in Afghanistan, but I am willing to bet that it is a damn sight less comfortable than our own. We should try to understand what has driven them to this and show a bit more compassion. Blaming them for their own misfortune just doesn't cut it.

Big thumbs up for your Helen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Helen876 wrote:

By refusing food (and some of them water) they have demonstrated that they are serious about this.

We should try to understand what has driven them to this and show a bit more compassion. Blaming them for their own misfortune just doesn't cut it.

Just because they are serious (you could also argue deluded) doesnt make them right - it doesnt give them the right to threaten violence in order to subvert our laws to get their way. It is bordering on terrorism - imo.

Many terrorists are also serious and also even prepared to give their lives - that doesnt make them right either or deserving of compassion.

Their decision is their responsibility - if they do go through with this then it doesnt make it our responsibility to cave into their demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

hellboy99 wrote:
    as I have said before, why is the RAR involved ? no one has been racist towards them, have they too forgotten about our laws. and before any members of the RAR or anyone else say I'm racist I would like to point out that I'm not.

RAR should be called the Anti Deportation Group.
    They are anti deportation in pretty much every case.
    They'll believe any sob story an economic migrant tells them.
    They just use the word 'Racism' as it's more emotive.

Nice first post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Helen876 wrote:
    We don't know what kind of circumstances they have come from in Afghanistan, but I am willing to bet that it is a damn sight less comfortable than our own.

If it was so bad, they would have been granted asylum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

Imagine if this was Irish hunger-strikers in a mosque in a Muslim country. I have a feeling the reaction there would have been rather less peaceful...

Pythia wrote:
    RAR should be called the Anti Deportation Group.
    They are anti deportation in pretty much every case.
    They'll believe any sob story an economic migrant tells them.
    They just use the word 'Racism' as it's more emotive.
    word.

while i dont agree with these guys tactics...
    Imagine if this was Irish hunger-strikers in a mosque in a Muslim country. I have a feeling the reaction there would have been rather less peaceful...

is this not why they are so desperate not to go back to such a country?

There's a Mosque on the South Circular Road if they want to give it a dry run.
    I'd say they're up there now waiting on them with open arms.

Hagar wrote:
    There's a Mosque on the South Circular Road if they want to give it a dry run.
    I'd say they're up there now waiting on them with open arms.

Are you the After hours comedian tonight?

Your confusing irony and sarcasm with comedy.
    Add a dash of truth for flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Ag marbh wrote:

The Minister is doing his job and a good one at that and also has the UN backing him on his decision, if they want to end their lives then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

So now they are refusing water. Won't be long now. Unless the Gardai do the humane act of storming the place and putting the survivors into custody, awaiting deportation. That would depend on the church authorities.

I see that the RaR woman is still bulls*iting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

too right, at this stage they would of been removed by force or killed.

the hunger strikers are now threatening to throw themselves off a balcony in the cathedral :rolleyes: . first it was starve themselves to death, then it was the old razor blade job, then hanging... sounds to me as if they won't go through with killing themselves at all.
    have they not got it by now, McDowell isn't backing down.

Advertisement