Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Tell us, how did they get here?? Gettin from Afghanistan to Ireland costs money!!!!!!! Considering the average GDP - per capita is $800!!!!! and another thing tell us what gives them any more right than any other refugee, political or othewise???????? TBH its a bloody farce, the Guards need to put a stop to it and grow some b***s, how exactly are they going to harm them selves if 50 gardai storm the church??? jumping from the organ loft!!! WOW it aint that high. Its proper time this farce was ended......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

stepbar wrote:
    Tell us, how did they get here?? Gettin from Afghanistan to Ireland costs money!!!!!!! Considering the average GDP - per capita is $800!!!!! and another thing tell us what gives them any more right than any other refugee, political or othewise???????? TBH its a bloody farce, the Guards need to put a stop to it and grow some b***s, how exactly are they going to harm them selves if 50 gardai storm the church??? jumping from the organ loft!!! WOW it aint that high. Its proper time this farce was ended......

I'm just too out of breath to answer that for a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

simu wrote:
    I'm just too out of breath to answer that for a bit...
    Tell me about it, my adrenaline is pumping cos of all the exclaiming!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Two of the men who were brought to hospital by ambulance yesterday returned to St Patrick's Cathedral at approximately 2am this morning.

The men, a blind man and a youth, were not allowed entry into the cathedral.

At approximately 3am, an ambulance was called for them and they returned to hospital.

So with the A&E crisis in our Dublin hospitals these clowns can play their blackmailing games. Next time someone goes on about the drunks let us bear in mind these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Heinrich wrote:
    Two of the men who were brought to hospital by ambulance yesterday returned to St Patrick's Cathedral at approximately 2am this morning.

The men, a blind man and a youth, were not allowed entry into the cathedral.

At approximately 3am, an ambulance was called for them and they returned to hospital.

So with the A&E crisis in our Dublin hospitals these clowns can play their blackmailing games. Next time someone goes on about the drunks let us bear in mind these guys.

This point was already made following us the drunks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Whilst my political views are slightly liberal, I dont think for one second that the Government should give into them, it would only set a very dangerous precident. If they want to die for whatever it is they believe then fine let them die. De damned if we should give into blackmail.

Ag marbh wrote:
    This point was already made following us the drunks.

The drunks are more than likely Irish taxpayers!!!

I hope the strikers spent the night on trolleys or hard chairs as do a number of our own genuinely ill compatriots.

It now appears that one of these brave chappies is a nephew of a former minister of the Taliban government. It gets better by the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Heinrich wrote:
    The drunks are more than likely Irish taxpayers!!!

I hope the strikers spent the night on trolleys or hard chairs as do a number of our own genuinely ill compatriots.

It now appears that one of these brave chappies is a nephew of a former minister of the Taliban government. It gets better by the minute.

Zzz, this was all repeated before Heinrich. Do you need links?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196156,00.html
    What ever they do they will need to do it soon. Either grant them assylum or raid the church and deport them today. The status quo cannot continue for much longer.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Zzz, this was all repeated before Heinrich. Do you need links?

Links to more of your waffle? No thanks.

Your are obstinately refusing to accept that this whole affair is an illegal and badly thought business. If you cannot accept that there are other, nearer places to look for asylum for former Taliban then there is no point in debating with you.

We have hunger strikers who will commit suicide by hanging if the Gardai move in. Paradox. I'll die to proctect my right to die. Wow. Crazy is the most apt description for these comedians.

Let them go to the end and we will see what happens. I doubt taht they will starve to death, life is too soft here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196156,00.html
    What ever they do they will need to do it soon. Either grant them assylum or raid the church and deport them today. The status quo cannot continue for much longer.

McDowell needs to stand firm and not to give in to blackmail.
    Message needs to sent out to the world that we are not a soft touch on immigration else there will be a flood of illegals abusing the legal process

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

They should be deported immediately, one of them has only been here for seven weeks!

Seven weeks, the entire asylum process takes way longer than that, but just coz he has been refused, its toys out of the pram and pull a stunt like this.

They are blackmailing filth bags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

They should be deported immediately, one of them has only been here for seven weeks!

Seven weeks, the entire asylum process takes way longer than that, but just coz he has been refused, its toys out of the pram and pull a stunt like this.

My last thought on this. I agree with the above post. If they want to die, let them. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hiberno

Simple way to get rid of them, instead of risking Gardai and innocent health workers, ignore them! Turn off the media and press and pretend they don't exist. I've just remembered the Simpsons episode where the adverts all come to life, but when nobody looks at them they all become nothing.

If the gardai shunt them out, we'll all be Nazi's, if the media give them air time, they're martyrs, ignore them and given a chance, get them out, let them sit in the rain and protest, maybe they'll understand what it's like to be homeless and realise they've not had it so bad after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

hiberno wrote:
    Simple way to get rid of them, instead of risking Gardai and innocent health workers, ignore them! Turn off the media and press and pretend they don't exist. I've just remembered the Simpsons episode where the adverts all come to life, but when nobody looks at them they all become nothing.

If the gardai shunt them out, we'll all be Nazi's, if the media give them air time, they're martyrs, ignore them and given a chance, get them out, let them sit in the rain and protest, maybe they'll understand what it's like to be homeless and realise they've not had it so bad after all!

Well said.
    Let the rot in the graves they've dug for themselves.

If it were up to me, they'd all be deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

I completely agree. I almost feel that the irish people themselves (and not the gardai) should go in there and take them out. It will solve this problem and send a clear message to any others who (probably will now, because this incident was handled so badly) jump on the bandwagon if they are denied asylum.

edit:
    hiberno wrote:

Another great idea. This situation is starting to bug me, I've also heard that there is a "Residents against Racism" demonstration today in support of them. Can anyone confirm this? This makes me sick to my stomach, the whole idea of laws and regulations is so the country doesn't fall apart. And could someone explain to me how this is racism. How can Irish people support this, its Ridiculous! I ****ing hate the masses of irish people who play the racism card when any foriegn national is involved.

We need to get them out of there soon before the problem gets a whole lot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

hiberno wrote:
    Simple way to get rid of them, instead of risking Gardai and innocent health workers, ignore them!

I agree, everyone there should just pull out now, if they want to die let them it's their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I think these people will be and are a threat to the state. Anybody who gives comfort to suicidal extremists like these deserves to be deported back to their sharia law infested country themselves. Don’t forget The "Residents against Racism" neoliberal front where also rooting for the criminal Kunle. You wouldn’t be surprised who these people would support.

dathi1 wrote:
    Don’t forget The "Residents against Racism" neoliberal front where also rooting for the criminal Kunle. You wouldn’t be surprised who these people would support.

The RAR should be deported along with the Afghans, there nothing but a group of trouble makers and bandwagon jumpers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Catney

anyone know why residents against racism are there? Who is being racist?

• Advertisement

Catney wrote:

They like to get in the media is all I can come up with, for what they supposedly stand for has nothing to do with current events.

hellboy99 wrote:
    I agree, everyone there should just pull out now, if they want to die let them it's their choice.

Unfortunately the Cathedral is used by Protestant worshippers who have the right to use THEIR church. Tomorrow is Sunday so the faithful will have to go elsewhere to worship.

They are not going to die. If they were that au fait with the grim reaper they could do their dying chez eux at a lesser expense! When did the dosh with which they travelled here come from?

Before they leave the premises they should be made clean up the mess and pay for any damage and fumigation as necessary.

Is it not ironic that these guys, coming from a muslim country would disrespect our religious establishments. Chancers, call their bluff and when they tire of the exercise ship then off!

Catney wrote:

In any other society the RaR would be locked up in the looney bin. We are far too tolerant towards these headbangers. To date all they have to their discredit is their support for the Kuhnle chap who is here on tolerance until he finishes his LC and the current gang of blackmailers with their unjust cause!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They are hardly tolerant of other religions when they are wrecking that historic cathedral.
    Would they do the same to a mosque?...Hardly
    Now as said, Protestant worshippers right to worship has been prevented by these hooligans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Catney wrote:
    They believe that by not allowing other nationalities in we are discriminating against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Helen876

Some of you are so far up on the moral high ground I’m surprised you can even breathe. Lots of tough talk from people who are sitting in nice comfy chairs tapping away at their computers. Whatever the backgrounds of the Afghanis and whatever their tactics, they are obviously desperate people who feel they have no choice. We had hunger strikes here before. We should know that it is something that you are driven to, not something you just do as a publicity stunt. This isn’t some kind of abstract argument about the rights and wrongs of ‘blackmail’. These are real people who are suffering, and who might die. They have families and friends and stories of their own. Try and imagine what kind of situation you’d have to be in to be prepared to refuse food and water for days.

At the same time as this is going on, Irish illegal immigrants are fighting for the right to remain in the USA. How can we support them while condemning immigrants in our own country? The Irish People like to think they’re on the side of the underdog. 800 years of oppression and all that. Judging from this it’s as well we never had any real power as it doesn’t look like we’d have much to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It's a tricky one alright.
    Send Chuck Norris in with a few ham sandwiches and bottles of red lemonaide... problem solved in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Yook wrote:
    This situation is starting to bug me, I've also heard that there is a "Residents against Racism" demonstration today in support of them. Can anyone confirm this?

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5000202.stm (It's slowly making news around the world).
    Rosanna Flynn, of campaign group Residents Against Racism, claimed some of the children inside the cathedral had attempted suicide during Thursday night.

The group has organised a support rally for the men at 1400 BST on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Catney

They believe that by not allowing other nationalities in we are discriminating against them.

They are obviously nitwits in that case. So it is now discriminatory to have a system to determine whether an illegal has a valid case to stay in the country? And for that system to issue a negative ruling? This isn't racist. Infact these people are probably creating a problem for the anti-racist message. A group that attempts to effect consideration between religions, race, creed etc would be welcomed, but becoming involved in nonsense like this dilutes the real message that they should be espousing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

We do let other nationalities in. They just have to go through the correct process and, if their application fails, they have to leave. What RAR really believe is that we should have open borders in this country and anyone who wants to come and live here should be allowed. Which make them dangerous idiots. Thankfully nobody takes them seriously.

Advertisement