Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

However bad this protest is at least they are only harming themselves unlike that lad who hammered his car down Henry st. trying to kill Irish people because we wouldn't let him stay here illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

base2 wrote:
    However bad this protest is at least they are only harming themselves unlike that lad who hammered his car down Henry st. trying to kill Irish people because we wouldn't let him stay here illegally.

I can assure you that there was alot more nationalities on Henry st than us mighty Irish :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Maybe if we gave them a special edition Wibbly Wobbly Wonder, they'd be nice and leave the church.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Ag marbh,

There would be a lot more illegal nationalities down Henry Street if you had your way. Can't you see - your opinion is in the minority big time. If these people don't want to respect our UN approved procedure.....I couldn't give a toss what happens to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Looks like they are getting somewhere with the protest...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0516/asylum.html

Dept of Justice to meet Afghan protestors

16 May 2006 14:15

The Afghan hunger strikers in St Patrick's Cathedral have said they will now take water following an agreement to meet Department of Justice officials.

A spokesman for the group, who are on the third day of their hunger strike in an attempt to be granted asylum in Ireland, said they will be negotiating with representatives from the Department of Justice this afternoon.

It is understood that three representatives will be taken from the cathedral by church staff for the meeting, which will take place in the Garda National Immigration Bureau Offices on Burgh Quay in Dublin.

A Department of Justice spokeswoman said that contact had been made behind the scenes. The Minister for Justice Michael McDowell, had previously insisted he would not be negotiating asylum cases with the group.

One of the protestors is reported to be in a critical condition in St James's Hospital after he deteriorated overnight.

A total of six Afghans were taken to hospital suffering from severe dehydration after they refused water as well as food.

A cathedral spokesman said it appeared that many of the 41 men claiming political asylum had already begun their fast before entering the cathedral on Sunday.

The men are on the third day of their hunger strike in an attempt to be granted asylum. The group claim their lives would be in danger if they were sent back to Afghanistan.

• Advertisement

rkeane wrote:
    There would be a lot more illegal nationalities down Henry Street if you had your way.

More crap to be honest.
    rkeane wrote:
    Can't you see - your opinion is in the minority big time.

This is extremely obvious but there are also many laws around the world that have been voted in by the majority but does that mean they're right?
    rkeane wrote:
    . If these people don't want to respect our UN approved procedure.....I couldn't give a toss what happens to them.

Fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Thats disgraceful - cant believe the government have caved in like that. This sends completely the wrong signal and is very shortsighted.

Looks like they are getting somewhere with the protest...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0516/asylum.html

Dept of Justice to meet Afghan protestors

16 May 2006 14:15

The Afghan hunger strikers in St Patrick's Cathedral have said they will now take water following an agreement to meet Department of Justice officials.

A spokesman for the group, who are on the third day of their hunger strike in an attempt to be granted asylum in Ireland, said they will be negotiating with representatives from the Department of Justice this afternoon.

It is understood that three representatives will be taken from the cathedral by church staff for the meeting, which will take place in the Garda National Immigration Bureau Offices on Burgh Quay in Dublin.

A Department of Justice spokeswoman said that contact had been made behind the scenes. The Minister for Justice Michael McDowell, had previously insisted he would not be negotiating asylum cases with the group.

One of the protestors is reported to be in a critical condition in St James's Hospital after he deteriorated overnight.

A total of six Afghans were taken to hospital suffering from severe dehydration after they refused water as well as food.

A cathedral spokesman said it appeared that many of the 41 men claiming political asylum had already begun their fast before entering the cathedral on Sunday.

The men are on the third day of their hunger strike in an attempt to be granted asylum. The group claim their lives would be in danger if they were sent back to Afghanistan.

Fantastic news for the 'minority'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ag marbh wrote:
    This is extremely obvious but there are also many laws around the world that have been voted in by the majority but does that mean they're right?

That's democracy for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hopefully mcDowell has a trick up his sleeve... like he'll go to the church and start slapping them and telling them to snap out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its a disgrace that our laws can be flouted and broken by illegal immigrants and irish people say its okay to do so.What say we all satrt smoking again in pubs untill the ban is lifted.Better yet,steal cars untill the insurance premium comes down.The laws are the only thing keeping the country from anarchy,then who'd protect the weak from the strong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Ag marbh wrote:

Great news for anyone in any third world country who wants the right to come here illegally, overrule the law of the land and hold the government to a kind of emotional blackmail/ransom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Ag marbh wrote:
    Hey AM, what exactly did you do at lunch time to show your support besides standing around trying to get a glimpse?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

zag wrote:
    Maybe if we gave them a special edition Wibbly Wobbly Wonder, they'd be nice and leave the church.:p

thats the solution. Zag for president!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Kiera wrote:
    Hey AM, what exactly did you do at lunch time to show your support besides standing around trying to get a glimpse?

Matbe he went to the front pew to pray. Hopefully the immigration people will explain to the talibans that they should go home as we need our cathedrals for praying purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

So an marbh. You don't really believe in democracy yet you call others Nazis? Why bother? I'm finished with this argument.

Theres going to be reprecussions from this action today I'm sure. The silent majority are not going to take this kind of crap lying down.

Kiera wrote:

On lunch I had a look at the situation. I don't think the men wanted a hug anyway.

Enough of the cheap shots. If you want to speak to me further with a genuine interest instead of these childish cheap shots feel free to use the PM system. As far as I can tell you're just trying to produce more information from me to be used as cheap shots for all.

Heinrich wrote:
    Matbe he went to the front pew to pray. Hopefully the immigration people will explain to the talibans that they should go home as we need our cathedrals for praying purposes.

No mate. I got myself disconnected from the Catholic church this year so you wouldn't catch me praying in the Vatican.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

I hope govt will not bow to this emotional black mail, its like copy cat protest in Belgium where more then 100 afghans were there. More over some news sources said few of them have Taliban links, I am sure Taliban regime has blood in their hands, they aint Tibetan budhist monks

let us say What these Afghans can contribute to our Society?

Q.Will they accept normal judiciary system like us ?
    A.No i dont think so, they like their own law "Sheria"

Q.Will their children would like goto our school
    A.No i dont think so, they like their own "madrasa" education system

What skill set they have to afford to our economy?
    ?? (god knows)

Ultimately they will curve a parallel society with in society instead of integrating into our society and our values, just like in UK or Netherlands.
    If they don’t like our policies later stages we might face dire consequence like london 7/7. It is not some Tom Clancy novel I am talking its pure fact.

base2 wrote:
    So an marbh. You don't really believe in democracy yet you call others Nazis? Why bother? I'm finished with this argument.

Theres going to be reprecussions from this action today I'm sure. The silent majority are not going to take this kind of crap lying down.

The disbelief in democracy comment wasn't made by me. It was an assumption from another users post. I am not getting into an arguement on the pros and cons of democracy on this thread as it deserves one twice as big.

The comment I made is true about laws voted by the majority of people aren't always good laws and the amount of factors involved in such a thing are huge.

• Advertisement

MySelf56 wrote:
    I hope govt will not bow to this emotional black mail, its like copy cat protest in Belgium where more then 100 afghans were there. More over some news sources said few of them have Taliban links, I am sure Taliban regime has blood in their hands, they aint Tibetan budhist monks

let us say What these Afghans can contribute to our Society?

Q.Will they accept normal judiciary system like us ?
    A.No i dont think so, they like their own law "Sheria"

Q.Will their children would like goto our school
    A.No i dont think so, they like their own "madrasa" education system

What skill set they have to afford to our economy?
    ?? (god knows)

Ultimately they will curve a parallel society with in society instead of integrating into our society and our values, just like in UK or Netherlands.
    If they don’t like our policies later stages we might face dire consequence like london 7/7. It is not some Tom Clancy novel I am talking its pure fact.
    What are you on about? This is the most rediculous post I have read all day. You think that they are going to commit terrorist attacks if we let them stay? On what basis have you come to this assumption? Just because they are from Afghanistan? Better kick all the Irish out of the UK then cos we all have "IRA links" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Ag marbh wrote:
    No mate. I got myself disconnected from the Catholic church this year so you wouldn't catch me praying in the Vatican.

The eglise en question is St. Patricks and is the principal Protestant one in our Fair City. What the Vatican has to do with this is anybody's guess!

Did you discuss the situation with the protestors? How are they faring out? Why do they want to stay here.

Could we have the answers in their own words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ag marbh wrote:
    The disbelief in democracy comment wasn't made by me. It was an assumption from another users post. I am not getting into an arguement on the pros and cons of democracy on this thread as it deserves one twice as big.

The comment I made is true about laws voted by the majority of people aren't always good laws and the amount of factors involved in such a thing are huge.

I really dont think you have any idea what you're talking about do you?Do you have an axe to grind with the laws of this country?Would i be right in thinking you're not irish..?

Ag marbh wrote:
    On lunch I had a look at the situation. I don't think the men wanted a hug anyway.

Enough of the cheap shots. If you want to speak to me further with a genuine interest instead of these childish cheap shots feel free to use the PM system. As far as I can tell you're just trying to produce more information from me to be used as cheap shots for all.
    No no no, I am not trying to get you with cheap shots. I am asking what you are doing about this so I can see that you actually do care about them rather than trying to start an argument on here. So far it appears to me that you haven’t done one single thing to help these people. You can tell everyone what needs to be done and how to help them but what are you actually doing with regards to all this?

Kiera wrote:
    No no no, I am not trying to get you with cheap shots. I am asking what you are doing about this so I can see that you actually do care about them rather than trying to start an argument on here. So far it appears to me that you haven’t done one single thing to help these people. You can tell everyone what needs to be done and how to help them but what are you actually doing with regards to all this?

Don't be such an idiot Kiera. Just because someone cares about a situation they don't have to give up their job for it. Lots of people "care" about the famine in Africa but I don't see them doing any fundraising to help. You are just knit picking.

Heinrich wrote:
    The eglise en question is St. Patricks and is the principal Protestant one in our Fair City. What the Vatican has to do with this is anybody's guess!

Did you discuss the situation with the protestors? How are they faring out? Why do they want to stay here.

Could we have the answers in their own words.

Praying is what it has to do with it. The Vatican was used as an example.

Listen mate, i'm not speaking for anyone else on this issue because it's quite clear that you don't really care. One can only imagine the childish replies that would follow quotes from people. (Also if it's not clear why they want to stay there I think you should read from the very first page?)

Degsy wrote:
    Do you have an axe to grind with the laws of this country?Would i be right in thinking you're not irish..?

Yes
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ag marbh wrote:

Disagree with the laws and judicial system all you like, but the fact of the matter is, we live in a democratic society, where the Government which makes our laws was elected and the laws approved by those who represent us in Parliament.

It's completely irrelevant if they're good laws or not. It is the law of the land and if we choose to ingore them, we descend into arnarchy.

I for one don't believe that you went to St. Patrick's at lunchtime for any higher purpose. If you had, I think you'd be telling us how many others were there to support them.

Whatever the facts are of how many have actually been refused asylum status here, they are showing a lack of regard for the legal system in this country, having exhausted their possibilities.

As for them being Taliban or not, I don't agree with people's views that if they we're officials in a Gov't. office that they must be Taliban. I am a civil servant. That doesn't make me a FF or PD member.

Let's all stick to the facts and drag the arguement out of the gutter.

Don't be such an idiot Kiera. Just because someone cares about a situation they don't have to give up their job for it. Lots of people "care" about the famine in Africa but I don't see them doing any fundraising to help. You are just knit picking.
    No i'm not! He said he was going up at lunch to help. I'm just asking what he did to help. Its not knit picking. I'm just curious.

Call me an idiot again and it will be the last time you do, pal!

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote:

Supplying materials. Will be showing support when I can.

Advertisement