Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'll say it again, you are taking out of your hole. What an ignorant comment. How many Muslims do you know personally?

You are brainwahed by the idea that Muslims are fanatical terrorists. There are a minority like that but the vast majority are peaceful ordinary people. It is against their religion to kill innocent people.
    i love how this line is trotted out every time muslims are accused of being suicide bombers or whatever.
    so, exactly what religion are the palestinians who regularly kill israeli's? what religion are the members of al qaeda? who decides on who is an innocent person and what exactly are the victims of suicide bombers guilty of?

every major religion forbids murder. it still doesn't stop people from killin others every minute of every day.

muslims are just like every other zealous group. they interperet things to suit the situation they are in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks like were set for another night of this with no doubt more of them in hospital tomorrow. Some of them still arent taking water entering the 4th day. Thats really now boardering on dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

isn't 4 days the longest you can go without water before permanent damage is done? i think i read that somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

julep wrote:
    muslims are just like every other zealous group. they interperet things to suit the situation they are in.
    how dare you make offensive sweeping stantments like that you ignorant fool. the people who kill in the name of islam do not represent all muslims. go back to school.

julep wrote:
    isn't 4 days the longest you can go without water before permanent damage is done? i think i read that somewhere.

5 or 6 before you slip into a comma ive heard. I wish common sense would prevail here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

minister@justice.ie
    give him your support maybe he might cop on if we all tell him our support i alredy sent him a email.
    they are making a joke of this country, demanding refugee status... you dont demand it you are given it based on fact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Must be the shortest hunger strike on record !

Sizzler wrote:
    Must be the shortest hunger strike on record !

I think its still going on. The youngest guys are still refusing to take water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

this makes no sense they wanna die of starvation because they will be killed in afghanistan???
    and doesnt geneva convention say nearest SAFE country... hardly Ireland. also since there is no way to get DIRECT from afghanistan to ireland doesnt the law also state that refugees MUST apply to 1st country they reach???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The gov. better not cave in, cos if they let this group off the hook, I have no doubt that there will be a repeat next time more are set to be deported.

[/tired words of wisdom]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

but very extream no water (usually hunger strikers will drink)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

they shoulda took water... that way it'll be dragged on for longer, and it'll be more dramatic, and they'll probably get more backing behind them. also, they could stay in the country for longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

ferdi wrote:
    if we like it or not, if these lads start dying, minister McBowel will have to back down.

why should he and i hope he doesn't either. if they want to seek asylum here they should respect and abide by are laws. you just can't go into a country and say "if i don't get what i want i will kill myself" , that's just plain stupid. what do you think would happen if i walked into a bank and said to the manager "if you don't give me a million i will kill myself" , go on ahead he will say.

god help us if they are allowed to stay, not only will we have every tom, dick and harry pulling off the same stunt looking for asylum here. what are these afghan people going to be like in our society if they are indeed given asylum, they don't get something they want or treated in a way they believe to be unfair, what will it be law into their own hands or another hunger strike.

you know the old saying lead by example, well these afghan hunger strikers are certain leading a good example :rolleyes:

like i said before send them back, we can do without people that want to bully and threaten others to get what they want.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4986832.stm

So they started their fast before they entred the cathedral apparently so we dont actually know how long they have gone without food or water:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

It looks like Bertie is taking the hard line! I just hope the desecrators won't end up for days on trolleys in our disastrous A&Es!

This self induced suffering is mere blackmail and we should ask ourselves what would happen if these people get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Heinrich wrote:
    It looks like Bertie is taking the hard line! I just hope the desecrators won't end up for days on trolleys in our disastrous A&Es!

This self induced suffering is mere blackmail and we should ask ourselves what would happen if these people get their way.

Someone mentioned on the radio this morning that apparently there are a number of churches in Belgium where this is happening now with Afghan refugees, all across the country. Anyone any ideas on the truth in that?Thats a scary precedent if its true, but all I can find is a similar issue in Ixelles in 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

#Elites wrote:
    They where on the Radio last night on FM104, and they have started taking water, so it can go on longer.

What a pity.

With any hope the Government won't give in to them, if they die so be it but they can't be given what they want. They've no right to be here so if they die they die, if they don't they should be on the next plane home. These threatening tactics of theirs are completely unacceptable.

If they're let die / quit with this farce, hopefully it'd send a message to the rest of their kind that this sh1t isn't tolerated. If they're given what they want, we're in for a fun future full of this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

One of these saps had a quote int he paper last night saying "We have no future in Afghanistan, if we cant have a future in Ireland whats is the point in living?". Ehhhh last time i checked, f*ckmunch, there were several hundred OTHER COUNTRIES you could try living in. You'd swear we were the only bloody country in the world that took in asylum seekers. These chancers just know theyre in for an easy ride if they get in here, thats all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

One of these saps had a quote int he paper last night saying "We have no future in Afghanistan, if we cant have a future in Ireland whats is the point in living?". Ehhhh last time i checked, f*ckmunch, there were several hundred OTHER COUNTRIES you could try living in. You'd swear we were the only bloody country in the world that took in asylum seekers. These chancers just know theyre in for an easy ride if they get in here, thats all.

Too right.AND we're one of the only countries where do-gooders turn out in support of criminals and call evrybody else racists for not supporting them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

School Students against Deportations Demo!

Let them Stay!

Six of the hunger strikers are school students. We need to do all we can to show solidarity with them.

School Students protest - 2:30pm.

St. Patricks Cathedral.

All out

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote:
    Too right.AND we're one of the only countries where do-gooders turn out in support of criminals and call evrybody else racists for not supporting them!

Ignorance for the simple reason that you are wrong and clearly not educated on world affairs other than sky news or whatever other narrow minded news you watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I am getting pretty sick of you calling people ignorant and uneducated! Oh and you have thrown in scum too.

If you cant stress your opinion without calling names then you Sir are ignorant and uneducated. Quit the name calling as it is only making you look like an angry teen.

Kiera wrote:
    I am getting pretty sick of you calling people ignorant and uneducated! Oh and you have thrown in scum too.

If you cant stress your opinion without calling names then you Sir are ignorant and uneducated. Quit the name calling as it is only making you look like an angry teen.

I'm calling him ignorant because he is. 'We are one of the only countries to..', that is pure ignorance to think that.

Name calling would be prick, fucker, etc

Ag marbh, I may be wrong, but have you given a good reason why the goverment should cave for these people? Why did they come to Ireland and not the nearest safe country to Afghanistan? Why have they not gone through the asylum process (Bertie actually said that -- none of them have)? Why have they such disrespect for our laws that they will jeopardise the security of the country?

But the important question: if McDowell lets them stay, do you think that's the end of it?

No, their family will be on the next plane over.

DaveMcG wrote:
    Ag marbh, I may be wrong, but have you given a good reason why the goverment should cave for these people? Why did they come to Ireland and not the nearest safe country to Afghanistan? Why have they not gone through the asylum process (Bertie actually said that -- none of them have)? Why have they such disrespect for our laws that they will jeopardise the security of the country?

But the important question: if McDowell lets them stay, do you think that's the end of it?

No, their family will be on the next plane over.

I don't care about the government, I care about these people and whats best for them.

Grand, just wanted to know what we're dealing with here.

Obviously living in Ireland is what's best for them, rather than Iran, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Albania, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, or Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

DaveMcG wrote:
    Grand, just wanted to know what we're dealing with here.
    Ignorance?

Ag Marbh : You're a hypocrite to call anyone ignorant or uneducated. Though, you are a school child so I can't say I'm surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Ag marbh wrote:
    I don't care about the government, I care about these people and whats best for them.

Fair enough Ag marbh and I admire your humane stance on the subject.

For me the situation is this. They are illegal here, they have not gone through the correct system and sumggled themselves into this country. Now if the justice department were to give in to these people and grant them assylum then every illegal non national in the country would do the same thing and it would be open season on the assylum. Its loose and open enough as it is without this happening.

The gov need to stand firm and not give in here. What did it for me was the radio interview one of them gave on Monday. When asked how he got here he said they traveled by plane to various countries in europe then to England where they drove in a truck to get the boat over to Ireland. Now why would you go through all that to get here? Because we are an easy target. Why not attempt Austria, Holland or England where they came through?

When asked by the reporter about the finances needed for a trip like that he back tracked and talked his way out of the interview. In other words, it cost a lot but I had the money and ain't short of money either. It kind of like the Romanians who beg on the street yet have more gold in their teeth than my car is worth!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭QualderWahl

Ag marbh wrote:

Perhaps you do but if you removed the blinkers for a moment, you would note that the overwhelming majority of people care more for our govenment and the laws of the land than they do for a group of renegade asylum seekers.

The latest opinion poll indicates that 79% of the population believe that they should be removed from the church and deported. The "views" that you are espousing are in the absolute minority and it is heartening that the Irish people are finally voicing their opinion on immigration and will no longer be subjugated by name calling.

Ironically, this ridiculous protest will damage the credibility of ca 10% of asylum applicants who are deemed to have a valid case to remain in Ireland. If you had one iota of common sense, these are the people to whom you should direct your concern.

• Advertisement

I understand what the majority think but i'm just thinking for myself and it's how I feel. Nothing can make me see differently

Advertisement