Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miklos Feher - sad footage, tragic.

• 15-05-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi, I apologise if this has been posted before. I watched this just now, it pretty much puts football in perspective. This shows a player dying on the pitch. I haven't read up, I'm presuming it's heart attack, or adult death syndrom thing. I just think it puts it all in perspective.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4632546396732254867&q=Miklos+Feher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

maybe the person who made the vid should have thought about the music a bit more "in my dreams i'm dying all the time" harsh.

Poor las weird smiling one moment dead the next, bang lights out just goes to show life is very fragile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Really puts football into perspective when you see things like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I had never heard of this particular incident but I still remember vividly when Marc-Vivien Foe died playing in the Confederation's Cup. When he went off I didn't realise how serious it was, when I turned over to Sky Sports News after the match there was breaking news that he was dead. Sad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Jaysus thats really scarey stuff. One minute he is smiling the next he is gone. Thats has just scared the **** out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That's just ****ed up man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

That's really horrible to watch. Quite an eerie video.

RIP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Very tragic. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

it felt very weird watching it

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

He was a good player and I felt very sad when I heard the news he had died , as I did watching that.

I looked up what disease he had died from and what I got was: Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy , the real scary thing is this apparently affects 0.2-0.5 in the general population of most countries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thats some ****ed up stuff. Really sad video to see him smiling and enjoying the sport and then he was gone.

Thats seriously depressing. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I felt terrible watching that. Deeply depressing.

Rest in peace mate. :[

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That brought chills to me:( so sad

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

RIP!

Very sad but i think it was a fan of his who made the video!Quite touching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I'm gonna sound horrible here but there are worse ways to go, he died doing something he loved and he seemed to go really quickly. There are worse things that happen, Munich 58, Heysal, hillsborough, Andres Escobar. There are far worse things that have happened in sport, doesn't make this any less sad. but really who will remember this time next year and be honest to yourself, i bet the name Andres Escobar i a real "blast from the past" to most people. TBH i only remember him after reading through the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I think i have another video in rememberance of him, that i had last year - dunno if i still have it but ill take a look tomorrow to see. Its a sad story, i remember when Foe died, but only knew of this after i first saw a tribute video for Feher. I hate when things like this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

pretty sad stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

hard to watch very hard to watch.
    Such a horrible site just seein it happen like that and seeing him fall to the ground,
    and his team mates(i know it would affect family and friends alot more but friends and family will grieve every death) but dying surrounded by team mates on a football pitch is just tragic.
    so sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

jesus that video is something else. hard to watch yet strangely touching all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its definitely sad and tragic to have cases like these. I dont think I remember hearing much about it at the time, but I could have missed it. Its good that fans make tribute video's like the one linked.

Yes, according to the autopsy he had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Its not highly prevalent, 0.5% as was pointed out, and it affects not only athletes but also non-athletes. There is some possibilities that being active may trigger an attack, although its not well understood.

Cormac McAnallen, the Tyrone GAA footballer who died a few years ago also suffered from the same thing. After that, there was some talk about screening people/players in Ireland for the problem to prevent heart attacks, but the medical profession were against that as it would have been a high cost and there was little treatment that players and joe public could do to avoid a heart attack. The only cure for most is a heart transplant, not adviseable as a prevention. It is genetic in cause. It is treatable to a low to degree with certain drugs, but for sports people it would rule them out. Also, many people have the condition and never die from it until well past life expectancy or at all. I think the Cormac McAnallen foundation is helping to fund some research into it.

I dont know how many people have access to this soccer forum on boards.ie, but if is something like 200, then 1 of us has the condition.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just to bring this thread back up. Obviously Celtic played Benfica on Wednesday which brought Feher back in the open on Celtic forums. On one of the forums they decided to make a collection to pay tribute to him after recent banners were made for 2 Celtic players that died on the pitch in their 20's decades ago. €1,500 was raised in 4 days and a banner was made. Here's a 15 pager on it if anyone fancies a read:

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=38053

And a couple of links:
    http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/kind=8/newsId=474977.html
    http://www.sportugal.pt/noticia.php?noticiaID=10388

Translation of above:
    The Celtic supporters will pay tribute to Miklos Fehér in the game of this Wednesday, in the Stadium of Light, for the Champions League. The Scottish fans came provided with an eight meter banner with the image of the player and the number 29, in a gesture of solidarity for Benfica supporters. The apoiantes of the club of Glasgow go afterwards offer the banner to the Benfica supporters, after the end of the game.

Sportugal spoke with one of the mentors and organizers of this initiative of solidarity, a fan that belongs to one of the main groups of Celtic supporters. He asked not to be identified, therefore intending that the offering of the banner be seen as a present "of all the Celtic family and not of this or of that group in private". We wanted to know how this idea arose in Scotland, to honor a player passed away in Portugal, of Hungarian origin, in a game between Celtic and Benfica.

Jim, fictitious name, explains that it plan arose in Celtic Forums on the internet.
    “The Celtic family has affection with the tragedies. John Thomson (75 years ago) and John Doyle (25 years ago) had died in tragic situations. We feel related with this tragedy of Fehér. We know what it feels to loose a player in these conditions”, affirms the scott.

The banner that will be carried to the Stadium of Light was paid for the adepts of the Celtic, with the money to be collected online, in webpages affected to the club of Glasgow. “All had contributed monetarily, all the Celtic family, it wasn't any group in particular”, Jim explains, and adds: “It is a gesture of all the people of Celtic.” Banner of 8 for 8 meters has “shirt 29 of Féher and the registration You'll never walk alone - translated for portuguese - and the emblems of the two clubs”, as you can see below in the photo.

Jim calculates that there will be around 10 thousand Celticsupporters in Lisbon. The Scottish fans expect "to contact Benfica fans to offer the banner in the end of the game", for that these utilize it in others matches. But this it is not the only present of the green and white fans; Celtic "family" is going to offer the money that remains of the banner production to an hospital unit in Portugal. "We are raising more money, that is going to revert for a Hospital", adds. Up to the moment we've collected around 1500 euros, that already surpasses the value of the banner production. This means that all the money donated from now on will revert for the Hospital Senhora da Oliveira, in Guimarães, local where the Hungarian soccer player passed away.

The "Lions of Lisbon"
    Lisbon is a very special city for Celtic fans. It was in the Portuguese capital that the club conquered the only European Champions Cup of his historial, 40 years ago. Everything happened in May of 1967, in the Stadium of Jamor, when Celtic defeated Inter Milan, for 2-1. The dadministration of the Scottish club invited the eight soccer players survivors of the team of 1967 to travel with the team for Lisbon. The old players will make a pilgrimage to the Stadium of Jamor to remember the historical conquest. But the fans also are not going to pass the opportunity to visit a so special field for the catholic club. "It is a very special place and one of the players of 1967 died some months ago. We will go certainly to Jamor", confirms Jim.

Despite of the value of Benfica, the confidence is high: "The feeling between the Celtic fans is that we'll be able to go far away in the Champions League." Jim expects that Celtic is going to win in Wednesday, in the one that is going to be "a very difficult game, therefore Benfica has an excellent team". "But Celtic is in an excellent moment of form", explains.

It finish, this fan from one of the greatest groups of support of Celtic wanted to detach the supportive character of the offering. "We want to thank Benfica fans with this tribute to a legend of the club. We want them to share with us the pain of losing a player. It is an offering of condolence", concluded.

Such demonstration of fair play is an example that soccer can be a factor of union between different persons and nationalities. In Wednesday, in the Stadium of Light, certainly that the portuguese supporters will appreciate the supportive gesture of the Scottish fans. After all, the pain is human.

pics from Benfica site:
    http://i11.tinypic.com/44hb8sp.jpg
    http://i11.tinypic.com/2cfdvkk.jpg
    http://i11.tinypic.com/44hyyaa.jpg

The chap with all the badges on him in the above pics wrote:
    Just back from Lisbon guys and here's a wee update for you.

The banner went down a storm in Lisbon they loved it. Well done one and all who contributed, Simao the Benfica Captain broke down after the pictures, he was one of Miklos' closest friends and he was delighted by the Celtic fans gesture.

There was also a cheque handed over to Nuno Gomes for £270 which Benfica have told us they will donate to a local Children with Cancer charity so again well done.

One more thing, the UEFA observer who was at the game was Hungarian and he also made the time to come and see us after the game to thank us all as Celtic fans from the people of Hungary. He told us it had made the press over there and people appreciated the fact that we had "kept his memory alive". He made a speech about the banner at the Directors Meal the night before the match and said that it was a fantastic gesture and something that is never seen from rivals these days. "Celtic fans are in a league of their own"

I was priviledged to hand the banner over and believe me that was the best experience i have ever had outwith my kids being born.

Hail Hail

BM

It certainly made plenty of press in Hungary and Portugal judging by these comments (go to Friday):
    http://www.celticfc.net/cust_care/comments.aspx

How you'd all love to support Celtic! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I didn't see the game on Wednesday and hadn't heard about this gesture but it has to be commended. It just shows what kind of atmosphere can be generated at football matches with the right attitude. Pity other clubs wouldn't take a leaf out of Celtics book. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Have to say, fair play to them. Brilliant gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I was all happy and excited about going out tonight before i loged on, after watching that i feel guilty for some reason, i nearly cried to be honest, very eerie video but very moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Very nice gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Very good, fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

WOW ! ! ! ! What a sad piece of footage and very touchong too, to see a young life just snuffed out like that.
    The Public Prosecutor has said that Miklós Fehér died from cardiac arrhythmia, brought on by hypertrophic cardiomiopathy, and therefore died from "natural causes".

I remember hearing about it at the time and very similar to the Mark Vivien Foe incident too, such a shame..............

R.I.P.

Advertisement