Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coming in from the dark side

• 15-05-2006 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi I am running XP CORP edition (you know THE one) for a while but have decided with all the cr*p around with updates etc. to go legit. I have bought a shiney new XP pro disk but there doesn't seem to be a way to register this with out reinstalling windows or doing a repair install. I seem to remember a utility that changes your version of windows and then lets you re activate. Anyone any ideas or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Your gonna have to google for it mate. Shouldn't be too hard. I am pretty sure posting a link to do it would be against site rules. It can be done just have a look round for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Liam Nolan

I tried googling but too much stuff comes up about the reverse " pro to corp"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If it were me I'd do a clean install anyway. I'd prefer to have a nice clean setup than a messy hacked together install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Exactly, just format and do a fresh installation. Nice and clean :)

I would like to do that but I have it running sweet all my progs running fine , i am using some bespoke software which was a nightmare to install with dongles etc. Also its networked to 2 other machines

• Advertisement

Well then this will teach you not to use illegal software. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Pro (OEM/Retail) keys will not work with Corporate editions.
    A reinstall is your only option - in reality.

It's possible that you could replace all the DLL's etc, but that may not work as there is no definitive list of what DLLs/files are different. The CORPFILES package has changed a lot since Gold RTM

irlrobins ~~~~ you if i wanted morality I would have gone to a religious board, if you have nothing constructive to say then button it

Whoo easy tiger! My post was very much tongue in cheek. :cool:

Liam Nolan wrote:
    irlrobins ~~~~ you if i wanted morality I would have gone to a religious board, if you have nothing constructive to say then button it
    With an attitude like that you may find yourself having a short stay here.
    Cool it - it's only the internet.

• Advertisement

OK I forgive him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a computer that is running Windows XP SP1 and later versions of Windows XP"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328874
    Warning The steps in the article are effective only on Volume License media. If you try these steps on OEM media or on retail media, you will not change the product key.
    This article describes how to change the Windows XP product key after a Volume Licensing installation. You can use the Windows Activation Wizard graphical user interface (GUI) or a Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) script. The Activation Wizard method is easier, but if you must change the product key for multiple computers, the script method is better.

If that don't work then repair/reinstall etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Liam Nolan wrote:
    I've just googled that, nothing seems to show up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Whats the differnece between pro and corp anyway?
    Is it that whole not having to activate 120 machines feature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sparky-s wrote:
    Same OS. Pretty much.

Sparky-s wrote:
    Corporate versions are pre-activated/don't need activation.
    It's handy when you're rolling out a tonne of desktops :p

It's only available in/for Pro versions.

Corporate keys will not work with OEM/Retails keys and vice versa. Capt'n Midnight's solution will work if the OP bought a Corporate version, but I highly doubt that :) Otherwise it's just used for changing a corporate key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is possible to make the change at the media level (i.e. if you only have a Corp. disk, it's possible to change it to accept retail keys), but as others say you're probably better off reinstalling.

At best you can use the USMT (Files and Settings transfer wizard) to retain all your settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

seamus wrote:
    It is possible to make the change at the media level (i.e. if you only have a Corp. disk, it's possible to change it to accept retail keys), but as others say you're probably better off reinstalling.

At best you can use the USMT (Files and Settings transfer wizard) to retain all your settings.

Youll retain ur files but ull losse things like firefox + visual studio and a good chunk of installed apps. Had to do this in work still installing stuff.:D

Advertisement