Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion vs Guild Wars

Options
  • 15-05-2006 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I only have enough money for one game, and I've brought the choice down to these two: GW or Oblivion. I know it’s subjective and all that, but, of the two, which would you folks recommend?

I can see pros and cons with both game. Pros are that they’re both supposed to be great. T
    The cons are:

*GW*
    I’ve played Lineage 2 and other MMORPGs before, and the experience of slugging your way through the same monsters only to face variations of them when you level up became a real bore. That said, I hear GW is not like this.

*Oblivion*
    I'm worried that Oblivion may lose a lot because it doesn't have the online element.

Discuss

:D Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

As I have played both games i'd have to say oblivion GW is nice and all but its no Oblivion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I didnt like Guild Wars much at all... Seemed like a bog standard RPG with multyplayer, nice stylish graphics and a great interface but thats about it...got boring very fast.

Just starting playing Oblivion so cant comment much on it, seems great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I was never really into Online rpg's but I gave Guild Wars ago and it was good for a while I got very bored after about 10hrs, there was nearly no variation. Although that was when it was first released so I don't know how its changed now.

Oblivion I'm about 60hrs in and have pretty much stopped playing it. It was great while it lasted and kept me playing for hours each session but now I've done alot of the side quests but got bored with the main storyline. Hopefully I'll be able to go back to it after the exams.

I'd go for Oblivion but MMORPG were never my thing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

In all honesty you will get bored of oblivion after the first 30 hours.

There really is not much variety or character in the game.

Rushed the main quest yesterday to get it finished, saw the crap ending to the main quest and then exited and deleted the entire game.

The first few hours of oblivion are fantastic but it really just never goes anywhere.

Just becomes a great big slough to finish the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭garrethg

*GW*
    I’ve played Lineage 2 and other MMORPGs before, and the experience of slugging your way through the same monsters only to face variations of them when you level up became a real bore. That said, I hear GW is not like this.
    Change the words "variations of them" to "them again" and you've written an Oblivion review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Having played both quite a bit I'd say you get Oblivion

Getting 30 hours of gameplay out of a modern game is quality tbh :) But there is *much* more there if you want...

I know people who play Oblivion every night [on both xbox and pc], and they would say there is litterally hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay - its not just hack and slash and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you want to play an MMO, you could do better than Guild Wars, or did you consider that title for a specific reason?

Oblivion is definitely worth getting, and it has a lot of gameplay, someone else mentioned 60 hours but I've definitely put in a lot more than that before I stopped playing. I could go back and play more, but I didn't want it to leave a sour taste in my mouth (like overplaying games can do), and I have plenty of other things to play right now.

Uberpixie - there problem there is you rushed the main quest, and the game, I don't see why. I took my time, explored, enjoyed all the guild and side quests aswell as the main quest. I was in no rush to complete it, and I think playing Oblivion that way only means you'll enjoy it less. It really isn't the type of game that should be rushed IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks guys, I mean't to make this a poll, but it seems that oblivion is comming out on top.

To answer koneko's question: the reason I considered Guild Wars was because I had read a lot of positive reviews about the game and there was no monthly subscription, which I refuse to pay. Like everybody, I wanted a game that would have great longevity. I'm a little surprised that some say oblivion only has about ~60hrs gameplay.

If folks have any other suggestions other than the above two games, bearing in mind it has to be one that lasts, it would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ah yes, the monthly subscription thing, forgot about that. I would have suggested something like WoW otherwise.

Re: Oblivion. It's "only" about 60 hours for some, but as I said, I got more out of it and my bf did too, some others play it less than that, but it's best when it isn't rushed I think, take your time and explore and do lots of quests, help out villagers, that sort of thing. Some of the best quests in the game are ones you don't have to do, that aren't in the main quest, so you could easily miss them if you rushed the game.

There are lots of good singplayer RPGs that have lots of gameplay aswell like Morrowind and NWN.

koneko wrote:
    Uberpixie - there problem there is you rushed the main quest, and the game, I don't see why. I took my time, explored, enjoyed all the guild and side quests aswell as the main quest. I was in no rush to complete it, and I think playing Oblivion that way only means you'll enjoy it less. It really isn't the type of game that should be rushed IMHO.

Just got bored with the game and the lack of variety.

Got to level 37, clocked up maybe 50-60 hours on the game.

Got bored of hacking and slashing my way through the oblivion levels and the blandness of the NPCs and the towns.

Decided to rush the last part of the main quest and just finish the game.

While oblivion is a very long game with lots to do: the lots to do is very samey.

There just is a huge lack of character and depth to the game that grated me after a while.

I'm all for taking my time at an RPG: but not where most of the quests and locations fell like very slight variations of each other.

Gimme fallout 2 any day of the week: now thats a game with sub quests worth doing :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

In fairness, a hack and slash charachter is by far the most boring in Oblivion. It's far more fun to be a thief/mage/archer/ninja type charachter.

Blowfish wrote:
    In fairness, a hack and slash charachter is by far the most boring in Oblivion. It's far more fun to be a thief/mage/archer/ninja type charachter.

Went far more stealth and bow than hack and slash and even had speech as one of my major skills(i like to talk my way out rather than fight).

Hate magic characters and magic in general: trust cold steel more it never fails you :-)

I am looking forward to dark messiah: magic looks like it might actually have a use in a game/environment as opposed just being a series of bland powers, where the only difference between all of them are damage and different colouredy lights when you use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

while we're on the subject, any idea how best to level up a battlemage?

my lil bro bought oblivion at the weekend and i stole it for 7hours on sunday. Awesome game and up till now i've only played natural selection and PGR3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

If you like single player rpgs fantasy type,oblivilion is the best,you,will need 1gig ram and a good fast graphics card,theres loads of side quests in it as well as the main mission.

I've ordered it and i'm hoping that my 6600GT can hack it on medium - low settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

You should have no problem getting oblivion running on a 6600GT. Although the game requires a crippling hardware spec to run with full eye candy it is extremely adjustable both from within the game and in a seperate ini file.

To give you an example of what is possible from a non-state of the art graphics card my x800XL runs oblivion at 1280x1024 with all options turned well up except for: No AA, No HDR (X800 doesn't support it) and limited shadows. Very playable at 30fps+ frame rates.

Google is your friend for tweaking but here are some handy links:
    Running Obivion on a 6600GT: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=24578151&union_id=5129
    Tweakguides - good guides except the first half is the same for every game: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

the tweakguides link is excellent. loads of detail there.

Thanks MM!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Delsim Evol

I think both games are good games. I am posting mainly with a couple hints. First off, there are enough great mods out for oblivion to customize it pretty much how you want it, like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Second if you have trouble running oblivion on your PC or just want more FPS out of it, then try www.oldblivion.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

oblivion is brilliant. Runs top speed with everything turned up full on my Dell XPS laptop. I have completed the thieves guild and Dark Brother hood guild missons and am working towards the fighters guild and mages guild missons. Get this, you wont regret it.

Advertisement