Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Swans in the Lake.

Options
  • 15-05-2006 3:20pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just looking out the window at the lake because my life is incredibly boring, and I saw that the swans were acting a bit funny. I had a closer look and realised that they were surrounded by about 7 or 8 small ducks. Then I had another closer look and saw that they're actually little fledglings. I'm going out now to have a closer look!

Heh, the adult swans are being so protective!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I was just looking out the window at the lake because my life is incredibly boring, and I saw that the swans were acting a bit funny. I had a closer look and realised that they were surrounded by about 7 or 8 small ducks. Then I had another closer look and saw that they're actually little fledglings. I'm going out now to have a closer look!

Heh, the adult swans are being so protective!
    The legal masterminds of our future, ladies and gentlemen. Susceptable to nothing but the occasional overwhelming by cuteness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Swans are fascinating, especially the big ones that flap their wings and go hissss and flap flap! ....aaaagghh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Be careful:p
    Swans can be very territorial esp with lickle baby swans and do attack...I've been on the receiving end of many an attack even though its my garden they chose to live in :mad:

Edit...Ah bless a moderhater with a heart:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hehe, cute.

We nicknamed the swans David and Victoria in first year because they both seemed a bit thick and the girl just idled on the island thingy like a princess.

Swans, like all birds, are creepy! The baby ones are cute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The legal masterminds of our future, ladies and gentlemen. Susceptable to nothing but the occasional overwhelming by cuteness.
    Hey, us law folk can be all serious and overbearing when we wan...hehehe, one of them just swam into the wall! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

TheVan wrote:
    Swans are fascinating, especially the big ones that flap their wings and go hissss and flap flap! ....aaaagghh!

Wow what a good impersination...is it a swan or the van??:)

The new baby ducklings have come out in herbert park too..there little flippers and cute baby ducky fur would make the hardest heart melt.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

swans can be proper scary, let me tell ye! i was walking my dog in a park one day, and i turn the corner only to see no less than 8 fully grown swans obstructing the path! :eek: they looked like they were asleep, cos their heads were tucked in, and then my dog started to get a bit giddy, which woke them up... then the swans started making in our direction, HISSING LIKE RATTLESNAKES!!!

Uncool. I sh*t a brick and then made off in the other direction.

Sometimes I wonder about swans. That lump on their beaks….what is it? Under normal circumstances I’d assume a brain. Probably not though. Ideas anyone? Do you know?

Ps….a code is hidden here…..

TheVan wrote:
    Sometimes I wonder about swans. That lump on their beaks….what is it? Under normal circumstances I’d assume a brain. Probably not though. Ideas anyone? Do you know?

Ps….a code is hidden here…..
    That's S.T.U.P.I.D. TheVan, you're no Dan Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

The lady swan took over the lake there on Thursday and wouldnt let the male swan onto it - she sent him off to get food instead! cygnets (sp) are really really cute!

• Advertisement

Didnt want to challenge people....plus I have to do some study so it had to be quick!

Personally I think swans are stupid.....if we were to start talking about parrots (even dead ones....ex-parrots) I would be interested!

DaveMcG wrote:
    swans can be proper scary, let me tell ye! i was walking my dog in a park one day, and i turn the corner only to see no less than 8 fully grown swans obstructing the path! :eek: they looked like they were asleep, cos their heads were tucked in, and then my dog started to get a bit giddy, which woke them up... then the swans started making in our direction, HISSING LIKE RATTLESNAKES!!!

Uncool. I sh*t a brick and then made off in the other direction.

They do hiss like rattlesnakes dont they!Generally though they are a beautiful,graceful, elegant with soft ivory skin...... actually I think I could have been a swan in a past life (that one was just for you john'chip on shoulder' humbert:p )

Is it wrong/bad of me that it took my brain this long to notice the Swan Lake reference? I swear, it's never crossed my mind in 2 years of UCD until right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

interesting fact........a swan bit me in eurodisney when i was a kid!!! not fun at all the little ****er

Any swan watch updates? I was over by the lake myself there bout 10mins ago...but I forgot to have a look.

Scraggs wrote:
    Any swan watch updates? I was over by the lake myself there bout 10mins ago...but I forgot to have a look.
    This lake update lark is turning into "Big Brother" style coverage. I'm expecting to see Davina legging it around 911 with a microphone and cameraman any time soon.

Exclusive interview and pics in 'Birdwatch Magazine' of Posh and Beaks[geddit!] and their newborn cygnets ....out now in all good newsagents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

geordie accent

Day three in the UCD lake.

The baby swans are still unaware that they are being watched by procrastinating students of UCD.

The parent swans are looking forward to today's task - seeing how many arms of said UCD student's they can break.

Mammy swan is called to the Diary Island and tells Big Brady that she's worried Daddy swan isn't pulling his weight. /geordie accent

Tune in later for more Big Brady.

Don't forget, folks: [Geordie accent again] If you want Ugly Duckling to win, call uh-nein-uh-dubbel-won, too-won, dubbel-fueh, ooh-won, uh text 'Vuut Duckling' to ay-ett dubbel-fueh, dubbel-fueh!...

Only three more days til we get that voice back again!

Only three more days til we get that voice back again!
    I hope this year is Big Brother's swan song

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

did you know: an impact from a swans wing can have enough force to break a human arm.

you have been warned/

besty wrote:
    I hope this year is Big Brother's swan song
    I can hear the collective heaving and sighing throughout the Library building as I type..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

While sitting by the lake on Friday me and some friends saw two ducks getting it on. Quite disturbing really...

One of the swans was wandering around on the grass by the O'Reilly Hall on Thursday, was quite scared it was going to come bite me!

Theres a name for people like you beanyb...

tut tut tut I'm disgusted:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Swans lose any sort of 'cute' appeal if you live anywhere within 50 metres of them.

I once lived in a place that was very near a swan's nest on the Thames in Surrey. I can safely say the are the most vicious bullies I've ever seen, picking on poor little coots and chasing them away!

And it's probably just me, but look closely enough at a Swan and you'll see that it's actually wearing a pretty mean pair of wrap-around Ray Bans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Scraggs wrote:
    Theres a name for people like you beanyb...

tut tut tut I'm disgusted:p
    It actually took us a while to figure out what was going on! And it was a friend that noticed it. I'm totally innocent I swear!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 garrath

Here are some images I snapped of the cygnets earlier.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

They're a little on the big side (the images that is, the cygnets are TINY).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

garrath wrote:

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

Taking bets on when the first one get's picked off by a hawk or fox or whatever is cunning enough to get around those evil swans. I say we'll lose the first one in a matter of days, muwwhaahaahaa.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

garrath wrote:

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

I think I actually saw you taking those photographs! No sign of the little critters at the moment.

Swans are fairly dangerous alright, I'd still fancy my chances against one in a fight though.

Slight side-note, but I notice there's a layer of scum on top of the lake at the moment.

• Advertisement

garrath wrote:

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

awhhhhhh that is the cutest thing ever!!I almost feel like going down to the lake,putting one into my pocket and bringing it home with me.........

Advertisement