Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Renovation

Options
  • 15-05-2006 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Getting into property development. Just set up a website to track my progress. Have a look-

http://www.doingupahouse.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Interesting site..

Chek your PM..

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

Nice site.
    What is your expected final cost and expected value at completion. If you dont mind me asking.
    Im just interested to see how much additional value is added to house as compared to the cost of extension.
    Best of luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I'd be really interested in the actual budget of works.

I am bit pussled by the plans for the new kitchen, it looks like you will have no door between the kitchen and the hall. With Children or a dog that is a problem and that is without the smell factor of kitchens.

It is also a big house how many of you are there going to be in it?

Another thing is I would consider making use of the attic space. Not sure of the exact dimensions but you coud play withe stair space and have good access to the attic. As you are taking the roof off this is a great time to put in the flooring sheets in at the very least if not converting most of the attic. I would make the bathroom bigger and move the second study to the attic.

Still a very lovely house and plan and a neighbour near me did something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

I'd be really interested in the actual budget of works.

I am bit pussled by the plans for the new kitchen, it looks like you will have no door between the kitchen and the hall. With Children or a dog that is a problem and that is without the smell factor of kitchens.

It is also a big house how many of you are there going to be in it?

Another thing is I would consider making use of the attic space. Not sure of the exact dimensions but you coud play withe stair space and have good access to the attic. As you are taking the roof off this is a great time to put in the flooring sheets in at the very least if not converting most of the attic. I would make the bathroom bigger and move the second study to the attic.

Still a very lovely house and plan and a neighbour near me did something similar.

Hey,
    Thanks for the advice.
    Firstly, the budget. Im still waiting on a quote from the builder but it'll cost roughly 100,000. Judging by the property in the area i hope to make somewhere between 50-100,000.

As for the plans, the one's on the website are old and i didnt like them myself. They have been changed a lot since then but i dont have them in pdf. I'll put them up when i get them. We looked at the attic but its not viable with the dimentions in upstairs hall.

Hope this helps

clusk007 wrote:
    Hey,
    Thanks for the advice.

I can really be critical if you want :)

Bathrooms and kitchens sell houses so that is what you should provide so either make the main bathroom bigger or provide another en-suite. I would also not think it is worth all this work for €50-100k considering you could make that off the market with little or no work just by selling with planning.

• Advertisement

I can really be critical if you want :)

Bathrooms and kitchens sell houses so that is what you should provide so either make the main bathroom bigger or provide another en-suite. I would also not think it is worth all this work for €50-100k considering you could make that off the market with little or no work just by selling with planning.

There will be a big kitchen and bathroom plus 2 en-suites. Its not only for the money that im doing this. Its a learning experience and id learn very little by just selling it on with pp.

Keep the criticism coming!

You need to give up to date plans as their is only one en-suite shown on the plans.

Is there a door in the hall to the kitchen now?

Meant to sday isn't there a new engergy rating system going to apply to houses soon. If that is true and you will have to rate it when selling you might be better off making it eco-friendly. If you ahve three abthrooms and the water is not being reused from showers and sinks you will get a poor rating. Your boiler should be wood pelets too. Solar panels also wise.

I don't know that much about it myself.

Ive updated the plans on the website

http://www.doingupahouse.com/

THe access into the back garden from the kitchen isn't great. Qite arkward to move in and out to get something.
    I don't like the bathroom layout but can see the benifit of them being close to each other from a building view. I'd be more inclined to use the box room as a bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I compared your ground and first floor plans - the walls don't match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Nice site and great idea :)

It would be great to see a proposed timetable of events and then be able to compare this with reality. That's what makes most property development TV shows interesting. The idea that everything takes longer than you think.

You could propose that at the end of every week or fortnight you provide simple updates with major updates at the end of each month.

Will there be a blog to go with this? That would be cool :) It would be good to get the human side of the story rather than simply:

June 3 - RSJ I-beam due to arrive.
    June 4 - RSJ put into place.
    June 5 - Plastering around RSJ completed...

Good luck, I'll be watching with interest.

Advertisement