Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Kilkenny??

• 15-05-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this in the waterford forum- weren't aldi meant to be coming to KK about 2 or 3 years ago??
    There's already two of these in carlow so I'm presuming it was yet another short sighted attempt by the city fathers to protect their own businesses in town bv somehow blocking them coming here?
    Meanwhile all the business is leaked down the road to carlow...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

mfitzy wrote:
    Just saw this in the waterford forum- weren't aldi meant to be coming to KK about 2 or 3 years ago??
    There's already two of these in carlow so I'm presuming it was yet another short sighted attempt by the city fathers to protect their own businesses in town bv somehow blocking them coming here?
    Meanwhile all the business is leaked down the road to carlow...

And do you know if Aldi ever actually applied for planning permission to open in Kilkenny?

The conspiracy theories are getting a bit boring at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well i would well believe that they are serious vested interests on the city council that are preventing shops such as tescos etc from opening in the city. They have opposed all attempts by tesco to open whereas they have allowed another dunnes stores to open within 1 km of an existing store.

Go figure! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Turns out it was An Bord Pleanala that stopped Aldi opening in Kilkenny.

Plus, they applied to the County Council, not the City Council for permission.

http://www.pleanala.ie/REP/202/R202474.DOC

Advertisement