Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to broach the subject?

• 15-05-2006 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Might sound shallow and nasty but this is a genuine concern. My friend has recently changed her image for the better and she looks great. Her confidence is through the roof.
    Therein is the problem. She is literally so confident she has become arrogant and obnoxious. All she talks about is how good she looks, how many people fancy her and how your stuff looks better on her etc.
    Its got to the stage where she says, "are you sure you want to wear that" and "are you sure you want to come out with me" . The truth is that she does get plenty of attention. I don't care about that, but I would like us to talk about stuff other than how hot she is
    Now, before people start claiming I'm jealous, I'm not. But its hard being around someone who is constantly telling you that they're funnier, sexier, better looking than you all the time.
    How do you broach it with her without sounding like a a jealous cow? There's a really nice person underneath all the nasty comments. I miss my friend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I'd sit her down and explain the situation and how you feel. She might not appreciate it at the time but she'll thank you for it in the long run.

Vanity can make even the best-looking person very ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

ugh!!!! she might be a lovely girl underneath it all but her new found attitude sounds horrible...maybe try to subtly tell her to shut up with being so full of herself everytime she starts it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

i know EXACTLY how u feel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

She needs a crash course in manners! Gift her "Talk to the Hand" by Lynne Truss.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lally33 wrote:
    But its hard being around someone who is constantly telling you that they're funnier, sexier, better looking than you all the time.

if she truly believed that in her head, she wouldn't need to constantly keep telling you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Next time just tell her it's really nice that she keep talking about herself but just a little boring, would she fancy talking about something else.

Feel free to send me her number though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Sounds like she needs constant reassurance that she is SEXY/GORGEOUS/FUNNY. Sounds like her self-esteem was in pretty rag order and a bit of confidence is going a long way.

Maybe she mightn't actually believe it herself though. You often find with people who were really fat and slimmed down still have a very large, lonely, insecure person lurking inside when you scratch under the surface.

I'd try and be indulgent with her to some extent. If she's mentioning it constantly and says how gorgeous she is, just say jokingly "yes, to answer your question for the 10th time this week, you are indeed gorgeous" or just change the subject when she brings it up.

Unfortunately a serious sit-down might be easily misconstrued so I'd be inclined to play along with it for now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I agree with the above, this girl sounds like she is trying to convince herself as well as everyone else around her, trying to boost her own confidence by constantly reassuring hersel fthat she is gorgeous & attractive etc. It might calm down after a while when she gets used to her 'new self' maybe give her a bit of time, or else have a bit of a heart to heart (without telling her she sounds like a cocky cow :D )

Advertisement