Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballack has joined Chelsea

• 15-05-2006 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

On the news just there, he said about Chelsea on F365

It's absolutely definitely not about the money. Herr Ballack has signed a three-year Chelsea deal and says: "Man United came in quite early for me but I saw the possibility of Chelsea being much greater. They are the stronger team.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But where will he actaully play in the team? He makes Lampard redundant does'nt he?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

"They are the stronger team".

"They offered me more buckets of money than anyone else"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

meh, he's no Gerrard! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

fade2black wrote:
    "They are the stronger team".

"They offered me more buckets of money than anyone else"

"I saw the possibility of Chelsea being much greater"

I saw the probability of Chelsea being much greater

:D

and a few extra grand a week helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Will Mourinho do a Real and let/drop Makele go?

Where do you play him soncidering you have Essien and Lampard as 1st choice with Makele DMF.

Btw im not his biggest fan i think ballack is lazy and disappears for most of games and certainly not worth the hype germany places on him. /Note drag this post up in Oct when Chelsea fans hate him :p

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

mike65 wrote:
    But where will he actaully play in the team? He makes Lampard redundant does'nt he?

Mike.
    Not necessarily. He could replace Essien, or alternatively, Essien could replace Makelele and Ballack could play next to Lampard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone is going to be pissed off then!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm happy with this transfer.

Mourinho will end up playing a midfield of
    Makelele
    Lampard
    Ballack

Lampard will play as he always does when he is the 2nd midfielder in the three, poorly.
    Ballack will play well.

Essien will come in for the rough winter games up North

I think Chelsea are going to be much more attacking next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

KdjaC wrote:
    Where do you play him soncidering you have Essien and Lampard as 1st choice with Makele DMF.

He will replace Essien who has been a major disappointment so far especially considering the ridiculous amount of money played.

TBH I cant see Ballack and Lampard doing well together because they are so similiar. I would only have one or the other in their.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Mourinho said that the champions league favours attacking teams so Ballack and a world class striker (Shev) and they have a very good chance

They need somebody to attack down the wings from defence as well though, ala Cole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

KdjaC wrote:
    Btw im not his biggest fan i think ballack is lazy and disappears for most of games and certainly not worth the hype germany places on him.

replace ballack with lampard and germany with england, and this statement still holds true!!

i reckon they will play Makelele in DM with Ballack and Lampard attacking.
    Essein is being trained as a Makelele replacement, so i think we may see the two interchange particualrly once ballack has settled in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ya, Ballack & Lampard playing in AM role together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Actually, i thought it was Diarra who was being trained as Makelele's replacement.

There are some suggestions that Mourinho will continue to drop wingers altogether and play either a diamond 4-4-2:

Cech
    Ferreira---Carvahlo---Terry---Del Horno
    Makelele

Essien----Lampard

Ballack

Shevchenko(?)---Drogba

...or a Brazilian style 4-2-2-2....

Cech
    Essien--Makelele

Ballack---Lampard

Shevchenko(?)---Drogba

More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4773571.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

SofaKing wrote:

There are some suggestions that Mourinho will continue to drop wingers altogether and play either a diamond 4-4-2:
    Never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Never happen
    Why not? He didn't seem the happiest with the wingers towards the end of the season and seemed to be experimenting a lot with new formations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

SofaKing wrote:

Cech
    Essien--Makelele

Ballack---Lampard

Shevchenko(?)---Drogba

That`s what I reckon it`ll be next season. Scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

No Duff, Robben, Cole, SWP???

I reckon they'll drop essien to the bench and 2 of the wingers will be dropped, selling or loaning one.

It'll be
    Cech
    Makelele

Ballack---Lampard
    ----Robben
    Cole----
    Shevchenko(?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

I thought he was dropping Carvahlo.

Anyway, i can't wait to whoop chelsea with ballack playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

STG£130K a week with the deal costing Chelsea £30m over the 3 years coupled with Chelsea yet to sign another couple of big name players. :eek:
    And people have the temerity to accuse Chelsea of buying the PL title? Bloody cheek!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

te·mer·i·ty Pronunciation (t-mr-t)
    n.
    Foolhardy disregard of danger; recklessness.

I really wonder why some of these players sign for Chelsea...ok...Ballack is probably assured a game but Wright Philips and co...how arrogant do you have to be to think that you're going to walk into the team? WP, as an example, must be wondering how far time travel technology is advancing...

I really am glad Gerrard didn't sign for them...I just wonder how close he came.

• Advertisement

can't see him going down the "no wingers" route, every time he's tried that we looked bloody awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Yeah someone else nailed it on the head

........................Cech
    Ferreira.....Carvahlo....Terry.........NEW LB
    .....................Makelele
    JCole........Ballack...Lampard........Robben
    ..................NEW CF

With SWP, Essien, Duff, Drogba, Huth, Crespo all playing bit parts as subs.

I think that Gudjonsen, Gallas and Del Horno are gone in the summer.

I really hope that they done get Sheva.

Emmo

fade2black wrote:
    n.
    wtf
    The universal interrogative particle.

The abbreviation of, most commonly, 'what the fúck', though sometimes also 'who/why/when/where the fúck'. When used with an exclamation point instead of a question mark, it becomes an exclamation of amazement, confusion, disbelief, ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'd be very surprised as some people on here suggested of playing without wingers, sure ye seen what happened in the FA Cup v Liverpool. Ballack is a good player, but had they got Gerrard last year, that would have been much worse. I'm still of the opinion Ballack is too similar to Lampard. If they were to splash and buy Sheva that'd be a very different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BaZmO* wrote:
    STG£130K a week with the deal costing Chelsea £30m over the 3 years coupled with Chelsea yet to sign another couple of big name players. :eek:
    And people have the temerity to accuse Chelsea of buying the PL title? Bloody cheek!!
    Where did you get that figure? :) £130k a week over 3 years is £20m. I'm pretty certain Man U would have paid that.

btw - Mourinho has confirmed that 1 player from Robben/Duff/SWP will be leaving in the summer. They're looking to bring in Simao, Duff is twice the player tbh.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Where did you get that figure? :) £130k a week over 3 years is £20m. I'm pretty certain Man U would have paid that.
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger!! ;) Heard it on the news last night. Something to do with signing on fee and bonuses etc. etc.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    btw - Mourinho has confirmed that 1 player from Robben/Duff/SWP will be leaving in the summer. They're looking to bring in Simao, Duff is twice the player tbh.
    If that's true I hope it's Duff and I hope he goes to Utd. or Liverpool.

eirebhoy wrote:

apparently what he actually said was,that he has 4 great wingers and IF one of them were to leave Simao would be an option. then again it is silly season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

According to TalkSport he is on £130K a week after tax.

That's more or less 200 grand a week or 30 million over the course of the contract.

Just chelsea are paying his tax too

fade2black wrote:
    n.

I really wonder why some of these players sign for Chelsea...ok...Ballack is probably assured a game but Wright Philips and co...how arrogant do you have to be to think that you're going to walk into the team? WP, as an example, must be wondering how far time travel technology is advancing...

I really am glad Gerrard didn't sign for them...I just wonder how close he came.

I wonder if they consider being part of a team that looks set to dominate english and probably :) european football over the coming years, combined with unmatchable pay packets, bankrolled by Roman ... is preferable to being part of any team that is likely to play second fiddle to chelsea ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Good response growler. Why anyone would go to Chelsea is beyond me. Getting paid more than anyone else will give you whilst winning leagues and hopefully a champions league as well. Bizarre the way some players think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

growler wrote:
    I wonder if they consider being part of a team that looks set to dominate english and probably :) european football over the coming years, combined with unmatchable pay packets, bankrolled by Roman ... is preferable to being part of any team that is likely to play second fiddle to chelsea ?

But surely most players want to play football on a somewhat regular basis. IMOP when SWP was growing up, he was probably dreaming of playing for England in the WC. While he is no doubt much wealthier at Chelsea than he would have been if he had stayed at MC, I wonder when his career is over, will he look back and say, "going to Chelsea cost me a chance to play in the WC"

Nothing wrong with going for the big pay out at Chelsea but doing it at the expense of playing regular football just seems strange. But then again maybe some people just prefer the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

growler wrote:
    apparently what he actually said was,that he has 4 great wingers and IF one of them were to leave Simao would be an option. then again it is silly season.
    You're right, he was misquoted and Sky Sports have now changed their article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

BaZmO* wrote:
    Nothing wrong with going for the big pay out at Chelsea but doing it at the expense of playing regular football just seems strange. But then again maybe some people just prefer the money.

Well I would say most players who are linked with Chelsea would think that they have a good stab at playing regularly so why not go play and get well paid? Ok in SWP case it didn't quite work out that way still, can't blame the chap for trying! All in all he is a young lad and could easily make the next world cup/european championships

iregk wrote:
    Well I would say most players who are linked with Chelsea would think that they have a good stab at playing regularly so why not go play and get well paid? Ok in SWP case it didn't quite work out that way still, can't blame the chap for trying! All in all he is a young lad and could easily make the next world cup/european championships
    Very true. You'd want to be very doubtful of your own abilities if you thought that you wouldn't make it into the starting team on a regular basis after a transfer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement