Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you learning for English?

Options
  • 15-05-2006 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Just trying to get an idea to see what everyone is studying in English for the LC. Here's what I've done/I'm doing:

Paper 1

All I've done for this is prepared an essay on Nuclear Power for some reason. I read an article in the Irish Times and took notes on it. I'm not sure what else I'll do for it..

Paper 2

Poetry - I'm just learing off personal responses for each of the poets I'm doing (At the moment Plath, Bishop, Yeats & Longley...not sure if I'll do Eliot too), since poetry questions seem to revolve around a personal opinion

Comparative - An essay prepared on both Theme/Issue & Cultural Context. Sin é

King Lear (Single Text) - I've been going through the play, getting to know it well, and I've done a few essays, but I think I'll just learn the structure of essays for the main themes & characters. I have no idea what's tipped to come up.

-

What's everyone else doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

so far this year or d past few weeks?
    past few weeks ive been doing a bit of everything
    nothing for paper one in months though!
    poetry i have done bishop im learning the pegs for each poet (im doing 6 out of 8 i tnk!)
    comparative - im so screwed my teacher wz crap for this!!ive done a cultural context question on one of the texts!
    king lear did three essays over the easter hollers!got b two B1s and one A2 im so happy with that cuz king lear = hard!
    ahh english such a pain so much to do!i want a B1 Id love that!but i dnt know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

we've done a good bit of prep on the Section B questions in Paper 1, just practice them in the class, in a time limit.
    same with unseen poetry, its good to just do a few in a time limit, just to get your head around them.

and essays as well, we've done in a double class, under "exam circumstances" apparently.

and with comprehensions, we havent done any in a while, but we did a few a while back..

then for paper 2, for comparative, i wrote decent essays for theme, and literary genre, so i'll just remember the lay-out of them..
    for main text, the usual character stuff, theme, setting.. blaaaah. im hoping for character in Pride & Prejudice, should be pretty handy.

and eeeh.. poets, Im leaving out Hopkins & Donne. for the others, im just going through their poems, learning a few quotes, not many. and i've done a few essays on each poet, so re-reading them, etc etc etc..

and for unseen poem, as i mentioned above ^, just did some in class.

nothign really very exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Paper 1:
    Practice. I decided which genre I wanted to write in for the part B and for the Section 2. Not much else I can do there other than do them over and over. Might recycle a plotline from the ones I practiced on the day, if I get no ideas (I'm doing a short story)

Paper 2:
    Poetry - Learning quotes from about 6 poems from each poet. I tend to put the essay together best once i see the paper

Single Text - Not really doing much for this. Might give Lear a re-read at some stage, and pick a single scene to know well, just in case a good question comes up.

Comparative - Have my theme picked out, need to do some work on the cultural context though.

Advertisement