Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italian WC Squad

• 15-05-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

My team for the world cup deserve a thread. :)

Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Peruzzi (Lazio), Amelia (Livorno)

Defenders: Zambrotta (Juventus), Nesta (Milan), Cannavaro (Juventus), Grosso (Palermo), Zaccardo (Palermo), Barzagli (Palermo), Materazzi (Inter), Oddo (Lazio)

Midfielders: Camoranesi (Juventus), Pirlo (Milan), Gattuso (Milan), De Rossi (Roma), Perrotta (Roma), Barone (Palermo)

Attackers: Totti (Roma), Toni (Fiorentina), Gilardino (Milan), Del Piero (Juventus), Inzaghi (Milan), Iaquinta (Udinese)

Reserves: De Sanctis (Udinese), Bonera (Parma), Marchionni (Parma), Semioli (Chievo)

What a team. Player to player they have the best team in the world atm.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They're the form team at the moment, but that squad looks like it's lacking width to me. They'll be tough to break down as usual I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

They're the form team at the moment, but that squad looks like it's lacking width to me. They'll be tough to break down as usual I suppose.
    Camoranesi on the right wing with Zambrotta getting forward on the left. De Rossi is very highly rated and can play on either wing too if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

too old.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eirebhoy wrote:
    Camoranesi on the right wing with Zambrotta getting forward on the left. De Rossi is very highly rated and can play on either wing too if needs be.
    That's what I'm talking about, a lack of width.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Lucarelli (19) or Rocchi (16) would surely have been better choices than Iaquinta (9)

• Advertisement

Sandals wrote:
    too old.
    Who?

Buffon - 28
    Zambrotta - 29
    Grosso - 28
    Cannavaro - 32
    Nesta - 30
    Camoranesi - 29
    Pirlo - 27
    Gattuso - 28
    Totti - 29
    Toni - 28
    Gilardino - 23

You couldn't get more perfect if you were to decide the ages yourself. The only player not in his prime is Gilardino. Cannavaro is the oldest player and he looks like he could play on for years. He's the captain and arguable the best centre half in the world atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Sandals wrote:
    too old.
    Agreed.

Lack of width is also a problem, as Pepe pointed out. Some great goalscorers, Toni, Totti, Inzaghi, Del Piero etc... But not much creativity i.e. supply line providing them with chances.

Isolate the forwards and use the wings, and you can beat Italy.

USA and Czech Rep to come out of that group, maybe with some dodgy refereeing (again!).

I love it when the Italians see everything as some massive conspiracy against them...:D

That's what I'm talking about, a lack of width.
    One out and out winger and a left back that gets forward at every opportunity. Very few teams use 2 out and out wingers. If you're talking about the squad overall then I agree but the same could be said about Brazil.

SebtheBum - Totti is one of the most creative players in the world. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

eirebhoy wrote:
    Totti is one of the most creative players in the world. :)

but a very suspect temperament that may ruin another tournament for him.

nipplenuts wrote:
    but a very suspect temperament that may ruin another tournament for him.
    Agreed. He's an idiot tbh but I'll be shocked if he's not the star man for Italy this time. He has something to prove on the international stage. Before he got injured this season he had played 24 league games, scoring 15 goals and getting 11 assists. He also scored 2 in 3 UEFA cup games and set up 3 goals in 3 qualifiers for Italy. His main job is to create goals and Roma have no real out and out striker (most of their goals come from midfield). He'd have a field day setting up Luca Toni and Gilardino/Inzaghi. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

Totti (Roma)

has he not got a broken leg?
    will he be fit for the wc?

He's back fit a few weeks. He started a reserve match and came off the bench 2 or 3 times. He came on after 35 minutes yesterday and should be fine for the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

That squad has no depth whatsoever, they'll struggle.

Aldini98 wrote:
    You're all destroying my hopes here. :mad:

They've plenty of backup in the 4 forward positions. They're short on central midfielders but Pirlo will start all games. Gatusso might get a suspension. :) The forward positions are the positions that need most rotating so they'll have no problems there. If the defensive players can avoid suspension they'll be ok but 1 or 2 suspensions won't destroy their tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Aldini98 wrote:

I'm going to assume you haven't watched any italian football over the season. Personally I'd put Bonera in the full squad and maybe even drop Amelia for Pellitzoli but thats nit picking.

I also second some calls for Luceralli over Iaquinta but the latter is a player I see coming up onto the big world stage over the next few years. The team as an entity I think is very good with good depth. They have great firepower, great defence and good playmaking in midfield. I tip them to do rather well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

While they are very strong defensively (for a change) and have some good forwards they seem to be lacking that bit of spark in the middle of the park IMO.

Advertisement