Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exam illness question

• 15-05-2006 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

right, so apparently i have properly injured my back. it hurts when i sit.alot. my question is - is there anything i can do or someone i can say it to before tomorrow 2pm which will cause the examiners to have any kind of pitty on me?
    during my exam today i had to stand up and move about ever 10mins or so because i was in absolute bits while sitting (i'm standing as i type this and am studying while standing, not very productive)if the pain is the same tomorrow, i'd say it will significantly effect my exam performance.

so in conclusion - is it, as i suspect, my tough shyte? or is there anyone i can bitch at to get special treatment.

yours painfully etc..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Take a nice, hot bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

You should contact the exams office as soon as possible. They may be able to arrange something for you.

It will be extremely helpful, though, if you have a doctor's note about your condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

ye defo say something! i know someone who had to attach a doctors note to their exam script becasue they were really sick before the exam. there are forms u can get off student advisers so examiners take your medical circumstances into account when correcting.

good luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

As far as I know boneless sits his exams in UCD due to back problems. Think he gets to bring a cushion in and all :p

If the exam isn't until 2 try and contact the exam office first thing in the morning and explain the situation. Maybe they'll let you sit them in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

If the exam isn't until 2 try and contact the exam office first thing in the morning and explain the situation. Maybe they'll let you sit them in UCD.
    thanks for the advice, i'll try them in the morning but i honestly dont know how sitting the exam in ucd will make any difference to my back pain:confused:

• Advertisement

ferdi wrote:
    thanks for the advice, i'll try them in the morning but i honestly dont know how sitting the exam in ucd will make any difference to my back pain:confused:

Well they'll be a bit more considerate of the problem and it may be possible for you to take small breaks to stretch out your back, without losing the time.

A friend of mine is sitting hers in UCD due to the very recent death of a family member. She was told that if she needed to take a small break due to being upset she would be allowed to make up the time in the exam as the examiners are aware of the situation.

I'd suggest giving boneless a PM. He'll know a bit more than I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well they'll be a bit more considerate of the problem and it may be possible for you to take small breaks to stretch out your back, without losing the time.

A friend of mine is sitting hers in UCD due to the very recent death of a family member. She was told that if she needed to take a small break due to being upset she would be allowed to make up the time in the exam as the examiners are aware of the situation.

Yep they will probably give you a comfy seat and allow you abit more time.....But I presume you would definatly have to have a doctors note

panda100 wrote:
    Yep they will probably give you a comfy seat and allow you abit more time.....But I presume you would definatly have to have a doctors note

Yea I'd agree about the note. If you can get your hands on one before the exam I don't see how the college can have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Take a nice, hot bath.
    Don't be telling everyone about that solution; all the chiropractors will be out of the job! :D

Poor ferdi... I remember when I did my back in a couple of years ago. It was actually the worst pain ever! terrible.

good luck to ye!

DaveMcG wrote:
    Don't be telling everyone about that solution; all the chiropractors will be out of the job! :D
    I'll just push Ferdi onto my trusty garbage can, and bam his back will be fixed.
    *listens*
    Oh no! the chiropractors! They're coming!

Copyright Matt Groening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Contact Exams office as soon as you can. They will prob arrange for you to sit your exam in special needs. You'll be given extra time to allow you to take ur walks, stand up etc. They may also be able to arrange a better chair for you if they can.

But the sooner you make them aware of your problem the sooner they can make arrangements.

Ask can you have one of these babies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

irlrobins wrote:
    Contact Exams office as soon as you can. They will prob arrange for you to sit your exam in special needs. You'll be given extra time to allow you to take ur walks, stand up etc. They may also be able to arrange a better chair for you if they can.

But the sooner you make them aware of your problem the sooner they can make arrangements.

Also contact your head of department and get a letter form your doctor stating that you can not sit the exam in normal circumstances. And that you will need special needs. Also get paperwork for the exam board meetings from the exams office to bring your case up at the board meeting. My advice is propoably specific to the Institute of Technology Sector but no point in looking for consideration after you get your results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

DaveMcG wrote:
    Ask can you have one of these babies!
    The beer in the armrest is also required. Medicinal purposes of course... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I have no advice ferdi but all the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

hey!
    i had to move to ucd during my exams last year because i injured my arm in a car accident (sorry grimes! again!) they'll give ya an extra nice chair, extra time, you'll be allowed get up and walk around as much as you like and the fact of your injury will be taken into account on your exam papers! all ya need to do is give the exam office a doctors note and they'll sort it out for ya!
    hope ya feel better!

update: i got a medical cert and was moved to the capper room in ucd. alls well that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

ferdi wrote:
    update: i got a medical cert and was moved to the capper room in ucd. alls well that...
    So what was the whole process you went through then, Ferdi? My back is still in bits (beginning to spread to leg) and I might need to copy your routine...

get a doctors cert, fill out that form that Seraphina provided a link to, call ucd admin and try to get through to Niamh McCabe in the exam/special needs department. niamh will ask you to post in said form + doctors note and she will arrange for your exam paper to be put in the special needs exam office in the arts block. easy peasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Poor Gav *hugs taking extra care not to further injure back*

Yay Ferdi, glad ya got sorted! :D I hear ya get treated all kindsa nice when you sit your exam in UCD.

yeah, they think you're at deaths door so they're nice to you :D

What is the "capper's room"? I'm surprised if that un-pc name is the official one.

What is the "capper's room"? I'm surprised if that un-pc name is the official one.
    It's not.

i only used the 'c' word because i was in there and there were no actual handicaped students in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

ferdi wrote:
    i only used the 'c' word because i was in there and there were no actual handicaped students in there
    Where DO they actually put you?

in one of the arts builing classrooms, i was in D107ish today

Advertisement