Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Connectivity Problems

• 15-05-2006 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Trying to help a mate with a wireless problem. She recently got BT broadband along with the Zyxel modem/router they provide.

The DSL connection is working fine because when I connect laptop to router using ethernet cable, I have no problems connecting to net.

The problem occurs when I try to connect wirelessly. I can ping websites ok, but get some packet loss. But trying to access websites in browser just hangs or times out. If I plug cable back in same website loads right away. I can access router config page ok.

I can get a perfect signal connection to router. There is no interference (checked with NetStumbler). I disconnected DECT phone to no effect. I changed channel from 11 to 7 and again no effect.

Wireless card is Intel ProSet 3945ABG. I've updated the drivers to the latest version. Still same prob.

Anyone got any ideas as to the problem? I'm a bit stumped. Something that occured to me as I was leaving was that she has Norton Internet Security installed. Wonder if that is fecking it up. But has anyone got any other ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

My God if your stumped where does that leave the rest of us???

Would defo reccommend getting rid / disabling / burning at the stake (prefered) anything to do with Norton coz God only know what its really doing, only after making sure Norton isn't interfering then would I even contemplate adjusting the settings to see if that fixed it.

Hmmm, Maybe a Norton is CR@P forum??? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

NIS, and possibly Windows Firewall are likely culprits.
    Otherwise... what security did you enable? Was power saving disabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I have WPA enabled, no mac filtering. However problem existed before encryption was turned on.

Didn't look at power saving. But I had laptop right beside router and had perfect signal strength, so don't think that's an issue either.

I'll get her to uninstall the Norton bloatware and see what happens. Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Man Who

I work for Symantec, inside sales, and I am not sure if this is a fireable offence BUT... I would never recommend any of their current products. Norton engineers lost it along the road some time ago.... But McAffe is as bad. Got 90 days trial version of their security center and it was a joke. Not only intrusive but just messing up things. AVG free edition and spybot will do the same job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Tis been a long time since I had to suffer at the hands of Norton. Even the enterprise edition had basic problems connecting to the server.

Anyhoo, I have a similar problem, though not quite as extreme and because another laptop doesn't have the same issues I just presumed the piece of crap wireless card I'm using was dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

I work for Symantec, inside sales, and I am not sure if this is a fireable offence BUT...

It is :D

But i work for another evil empire so all is fair.

Might try a firmware upgrade and another machine with a wireless card to eliminate the intil wifi card.
    Norton av daisy chanes its self into the network driver stack as do alot of anti viruses so as an av bloats it can cause problems

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What about trying it in a wireless hotspot and see how the wireless performs there?

I'm fairly certain that she had brought laptop to a friend's gaff and was able to connect to his wireless network without issue. Next time I'm over to her I'll bring my laptop and see if I get the same issue with connectivity.

Got her to uninstall Norton. Same problem still exists (cable access ok, wireless access slow/non existant).

Running out of ideas now....

Think I'll have to call over with lappy to see if I get same probs or what.

Just to clarify:
    - The testing was done within a few feet of the router,right?
    - You tried resetting the router,right?
    - When did she use her laptop on the other network? (Around the same time as this issue was noted?)

Bring your laptop over, or tell her to contact BT.

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    Just to clarify:
    - The testing was done within a few feet of the router,right?
    - You tried resetting the router,right?
    Yep and yep.

Oh and belated happy birthday.

Did you try the powersetting on the wireless card?

No not yet. It's on my to do list. But I had the laptop right beside router so I'm not pinning my hopes on that being the cause. Espec since the signal is coming up as excellent at 54mbps.

PSP support is dodgy, do make sure you check it. The strength indicator is more of a guide than gospel. Was the laptop plugged in or on battery when you were testing? (Not a good indication tbh, but worth checking -as you may be able to get her to plug it in and a power profile might do it... mneh.ramblings.again.)

It sounds like effort to get over to her and test, which is why I suggested that you send her off to BT...

Thanks.

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm
    This applies to: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Had laptop plugged into battery.
    It sounds like effort to get over to her and test, which is why I suggested that you send her off to BT...

Not too much of an effort. It's just trying to find a time when we're both free. It's not a major rush, so I can afford to wait.

irlrobins wrote:
    Had laptop plugged into battery.
    oO

AC or battery?
    You could talk her through turning off power saving over the phone...

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm
    This applies to: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Karoma wrote:
    oO
    AC or battery?
    :p Agh! Sorry, meant I had it on AC power.

Yep I've seen that. Basically the power saving prob that Karoma and you raised earlier. As I said haven't tried it yet but will do next time I'm over, prob sunday.

Made it over on Sunday night. Had a quick fiddle and without me really altering anything wireless seems to be working ok. Took a min or two once connection was made to really get going, but seemed to hold once it did.

So in short, not sure what the problem was, or even if I solved it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement