Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband.My Story.

• 16-05-2006 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Ok so unlike most of you out there I haven't been able to get broadband. I live in that area of Navan that is not Johnstown. I live on the other side up the winetown road. I live beside a school that has had broadband "for like ever dude" but I still could not get it. Then about three weeks ago I log onto the one of the bb sites and low and behold I can get bb subject to a guy coming out and making sure.
    I get an email about 7 days later saying congrats you have been approved for bb. HAPPY DAYS. About 2 days later I get a modem in the mail. I'm excited now like you cannot believe. The thoughts that in a few moments I can be sniping some poor sod from accross the world or downloading mp3's (legally of course) oh the things i'll be able to do. I hook up all the paraphernalia that came in that beautiful little box. I turn it on. Power light flashes. USB light Flashes. Network Light FLashes. DSL light flashes and flashes and flashes and flashes. NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo. It cannot get a connection. I call my bb provider they go through the whole set up but no joy have to get onto Eircom. Eircom call "errrr everything is ok here nothing I can do goodbye". BB provider "well I guess I'll get bak onto Eircom and see whats the story". EIrcom calls me again "Everything is fine on our side not our problem".
    That seems to be where the story ends. Is there anything I can do??? Is there anyone out there that has had a similar problem and fixed it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Kept calling them until you get a proper response and tell them that if they give you a half-assed excuse."Ok I'll be calling back in 30 minutes then,kthxbai". You pay for the service and it should be working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

on a marginal line ...like yours...filters on every socket in the house are a must.

alternatively disconnect all internal sockets except one, filter that, and see if you can get a steady synch light. Then connect internal sockets and filter sockets one by one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

If you unfortunately picked BT to subscribe to then:

Insist on a different modem model to the one you have, same thing happened to me.....they sent out a different model and it worked OK.

Although you will be then billed for another installation....but at least you will be able to snipe :)

Nh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm betting it's actually eircom's fault.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

amp wrote:
    I'm betting it's actually eircom's fault.

What exact help is that sort of post to the situation? Irrational hate Eircom posts dont add anything.

Have you confirmed for definite with your provider that the actual dsl has been switched on? Why are you so coy about naming who you went with?

It is not by any means unknown for the modem to arrive in advance of being switched on - for example a friend of mine has just signed up with Eircom and he got his modem last week a couple of days after signing but he is not officially due to be switched on until the 19th May.

Have you checked that you inserted your settings correctly? Have you installed the modem correctly? Is the modem syncing at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SirIrish

dub45 wrote:
    What exact help is that sort of post to the situation? Irrational hate Eircom posts dont add anything.

Have you confirmed for definite with your provider that the actual dsl has been switched on? Why are you so coy about naming who you went with?

It is not by any means unknown for the modem to arrive in advance of being switched on - for example a friend of mine has just signed up with Eircom and he got his modem last week a couple of days after signing but he is not officially due to be switched on until the 19th May.

Have you checked that you inserted your settings correctly? Have you installed the modem correctly? Is the modem syncing at all?

Well the phone calls from Eircom basically said that it was switched on and was working fine from there end. I don't know the ins and outs of BB but he said something about connecting his laptop to it and getting some sort of read that meant it was ok( I know that's vague but I can't remember exactly what was said.)

The reason I was so coy about naming my provider was because I didn't want to turn this into a discussion about good or bad providers. I just wanted to know if anyone could help but if ye all must know it's Digiweb.

Digiweb went through the settings with me over the phone and all were set to his specifications. Ronan is his name nice guy very helpful.
    Finally yes the modem is setup and installed correctly.

I have already disconnected all the other lines in the house the only live one is the main one coming in.
    I've tried it with the dual filter, the single filter and with no filter, still no joy.

Maybe it's the modem???? I hope that's all it is.

Any more help come on guys dig deep wreck ur brains get my BB working and I won't snipe the winning answer for a month hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did you check the snr?

Ok now that I googled it and know what it is :D
    How do I check it??

:D Well One last effort when I came home today I reset the modem and then turned it off and back on. Actually forgot about it then untill i got a phone call and glanced down at it and the light was a beautiful solid green. Christmas in May. I end this thread by a Broadband post. Now I can snipe to my hearts content. Thanks all for all the help.:D :D:D

Advertisement