Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

all time english trophy winners list

• 16-05-2006 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

makes for interesting viewing

newcastle still a bigger club than chelsea. and we have the second largest stadium in england.

TOT LEAGUE FA CUP LGE CUP EUROPE TEAM
    40 18 7 7 8 LIVERPOOL
    31 15 11 2 3 MANCHESTER UNITED
    27 13 10 2 2 ARSENAL
    20 7 7 5 1 ASTON VILLA
    16 2 8 3 3 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
    15 9 5 0 1 EVERTON
    11 4 6 0 1 NEWCASTLE UNITED
    11 3 3 3 2 CHELSEA
    10 3 6 1 0 BLACKBURN ROVERS
    9 3 4 2 0 WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS
    9 2 4 2 1 MANCHESTER CITY
    9 1 2 4 2 NOTTINGHAM FOREST
    8 6 2 0 0 SUNDERLAND
    8 4 3 1 0 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY
    7 3 1 1 2 LEEDS UNITED
    7 1 5 1 0 WEST BROMWICH ALBION
    5 1 4 0 0 SHEFFIELD UNITED
    5 0 5 0 0 THE WANDERERS
    4 3 1 0 0 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN
    4 2 2 0 0 PRESTON NORTH END
    4 0 4 0 0 BOLTON WANDERERS
    4 0 3 0 1 WEST HAM UNITED
    3 2 1 0 0 BURNLEY
    3 2 1 0 0 PORTSMOUTH
    3 2 1 0 0 DERBY COUNTY
    3 1 1 0 1 IPSWICH TOWN
    3 0 0 3 0 LEICESTER CITY
    2 0 2 0 0 BURY
    2 0 2 0 0 OLD ETONIANS
    2 0 0 2 0 NORWICH CITY
    1 0 1 0 0 BARNSLEY
    1 0 1 0 0 BLACKBURN OLYMPIC
    1 0 1 0 0 BRADFORD CITY
    1 0 1 0 0 CARDIFF CITY
    1 0 1 0 0 CLAPHAM ROVERS
    1 0 1 0 0 NOTTS COUNTY
    1 0 1 0 0 OLD CARTHUSIANS
    1 0 1 0 0 OXFORD UNIVERSITY
    1 0 1 0 0 ROYAL ENGINEERS
    1 0 1 0 0 BLACKPOOL
    1 0 1 0 0 CHARLTON ATHLETIC
    1 0 1 0 0 COVENTRY CITY
    1 0 1 0 0 SOUTHAMPTON
    1 0 1 0 0 WIMBLEDON
    1 0 0 1 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY
    1 0 0 1 0 LUTON TOWN
    1 0 0 1 0 MIDDLESBROUGH
    1 0 0 1 0 OXFORD UNITED
    1 0 0 1 0 QUEENS PARK RANGERS
    1 0 0 1 0 STOKE CITY
    1 0 0 1 0 SWINDON TOWN
    307 107 125 46 28 TOTALS

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

G'wan Royal Engineers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Go on the owls

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:

Go on the owls

Cant believe your ahead of Leeds. Gonna have to go up and win a trophy next season now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Big Nelly wrote:

Go on the owls

i really miss sheffiled wednesday, and not just because of newcastle's 8-0 victory and 10-0 aggregate scorline the season they were relegated in 99/00 ;) . they always played good football and hillsborough is still one of the best stadiums in england. plus they're nicknamed the owls, have a nice kit, and a cool crest. i miss QPR and Nott's Forest too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kingp35 wrote:
    Cant believe your ahead of Leeds. Gonna have to go up and win a trophy next season now! :D

Yeah seen that, strange one but its a long time since our last trophy, was League Cup around 1990(too early to remember what year) against Utd when we where in second division and Utd in First......John Sheridan from about 25 yards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

kinaldo wrote:
    and we have the second largest stadium in england.

Not for long tho. Ashburton Grove beats St.James's Park for capacity by about 7000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Pigman II wrote:
    Not for long tho. Ashburton Grove beats St.James's Park for capacity by about 7000.

Meh. From what I hear they're mostly corporate seats anyway. I thought it's called the Emirates Stadium btw? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

kinaldo wrote:
    Meh. From what I hear they're mostly corporate seats anyway. I thought it's called the Emirates Stadium btw? ;)

I'll call it that when Emirates Airlines start paying me to do so. ;)

I wonder will Arsenal fans go with the name "Emirates stadium" for everyday conversation? Didn't they try the same thing with "Cellnet Stadium" in Middlesbrough but I only ever heard it called "The Riverside"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

emirates i call it. similar to Boltons Reebok Stadium, naming wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

emirates sonds crap, i'll be stuck saying new highbury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

seing that list brings home how much we (forest) owe a certain Mr Clough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pool Rule (but you all knew that!) Great to see that Aston Villa have more trophies than Chelsea!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

abramovic will be an old poor man before chelsea overtake liverpool on that list i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i think he'll be a dead man if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

liverpool - the daddy of english football!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It kinda defunks the notion that Chelsea have no history.

or prooves it:
    11    3      3       3      2    CHELSEA OVERALL
    3     2      0       1      0    Chelski
    8     1      3       2      2    Chelsea

2 of their 3 league wins under roman wos only been there 3 seasons.

in 101 years the won 8 cups in 3 they won 3, i'd have to guess not a lot of a winning pedigree before, but it makes no odds we live in the present not the 18 leagues of the liverpool past or 11 fa cups in Man utds past. Chelsea are the taem of now, be happy to be at the begining of something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Without the Chelski trophies, Chelsea are below Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They've still only won the league the same amount of times as huddersfield, and havnt managed to match their 3 in a row yet. Sur eif preston beat Leeds then win the title next year, they'll have the same amount of titles as chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

PHB wrote:
    It kinda defunks the notion that Chelsea have no history.

Where did a notion like that come from? :confused:

I must be hanging around in the wrong pubs.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

didnt realise spurs have won 3 european cups.

They won the Cup Winners Cup, Fairs Cup then the UEFA Cup

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

40 18 7 7 8 LIVERPOOL
    27 13 10 2 2 ARSENAL
    20 7 7 5 1 ASTON VILLA
    15 9 5 0 1 EVERTON

Are you suggesting those are the only teams with any history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

kinaldo wrote:
    newcastle still a bigger club than chelsea. and we have the second largest stadium in england.

40 18 7 7 8 LIVERPOOL
    27 13 10 2 2 ARSENAL
    20 7 7 5 1 ASTON VILLA
    15 9 5 0 1 EVERTON
    11 3 3 3 2 CHELSEA
    10 3 6 1 0 BLACKBURN ROVERS
    9 3 4 2 0 WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS
    9 2 4 2 1 MANCHESTER CITY
    9 1 2 4 2 NOTTINGHAM FOREST

Well, one thing about the all-time trophy winners list, is that it does not determine that Newcastle are 'bigger' than Chelsea. It just is "exactly what it states on the tin", ie, Newcastle have won more trophies than Chelsea.

There's a few things to point out. The first, is that not all trophies are the same. The European Cup which is now the mis-labelled as the Champions League is more difficult to win than the domestic league, the FA Cup and the League Cup, as well as the Uefa Cup and the European Cup Winners Cup, which no longer exists.

To get a more valid reflection of clubs all-time success, weightings/points need to be assigned to each club. Also, to make it more accurate, you would need to factor in such things as when there was no European Cup or Uefa Cup. Also, how do you factor in when english clubs were banned from Europe due to Heysel yet Liverpool and Everton were very succesful in england? Surely they would have won a European trophy or two.

Other things to consider as well in terms of measuring success and capability is what I call the 'Holland/Hungary' factor, where teams are very good yet just fail to win the trophy on the day. So finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th should also get some points. (Holland and Hungary both came 2nd in world cups).

As you can see, it becomes complex and any system will have its own subjectivity, for example, the weightings/points assigned so it cant be an exact science. But just giving a total is far from reflective, as in this case 1 + 1 does not equal 2.

One thing you will also note from the table, and that is that clubs by-and-large have more League titles than FA Cup titles. The reasoning for this is quite simple, as the FA Cup has a higher chance element to it, as it is a single-leg knockout tournament. There are a couple of 'cup teams' though, such as Spurs and your Newcastle.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Go on the Rovers in 9th. That's fantastic for a small town club like Blackburn.

I have visions of redspider with a spreadsheet and calculator....:)

Mike.

And thats just the day job Mike ! (no, I'm not an accountant).

Lets just say I'll leave such calculations as an exercise to the reader, and I hope they use valid Lorentzian normalisation techniques, no Monte Carlo messing about.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

redspider wrote:
    And thats just the day job Mike ! (no, I'm not an accountant).

Lets just say I'll leave such calculations as an exercise to the reader, and I hope they use valid Lorentzian normalisation techniques, no Monte Carlo messing about.

redspider

rubbish!

we should be picking random stats from our arses and throwing them around like grass in the wind.

how are lemlin and el rabbito going to start a fight with anyone if things are done sensibly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

how are lemlin and el rabbito going to start a fight with anyone if things are done sensibly?

Love it. Lets throw away the real stats, make up our own, use them as gospel and launch an assault on anyway who dares say differently.

• Advertisement

dont start throwing ur resident pain in the ass know it all tag onto me white washyourass, i'm not the one who had a thread in feedback dedicated to how much of a know it all pain in the hole i am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

rubbish!

we should be picking random stats from our arses and throwing them around like grass in the wind.

The irony of that quote. Who's the one trying to pick a fight here? I'll leave you to it, I've better things to do.

ah but WWM brought you guys together! high 5's all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Maybe the shame of them realising el_rabitos = Lemlin in other boardster's eyes will prompt a changing of ways (then again probably not) :).

i see the handbags are out

rubbish!

Enlightening and elegant, that is one way of "seeding" non-pseudo randomisation, I suppose, well at least it is for all Theta variables converging towards modulus Mandelbrotian N values which are non-linear over Euclidean planes.

Good hypothesis WW-man. I'll feed it into my fast-fourier transforms calculus.

Hmm, the result is a bit olefactory challenging!

:-)

I understand the humour mode. And good to see some humour on this soccer forum.

Btw, Mr Logic from Viz was always a good laugh.

now, where's me handbag?

redspider

• Advertisement

handbags can be obtained from the high horses of wwm, astrofool or blue_sonic.

Advertisement