Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moodle & LDAP

Options
  • 16-05-2006 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Let me start off by saying that I hope this is in the right place, I wasnt sure of it should go here or into "Opensource".

Anyway, here is my problem. Im trying to connect our moodle site with our LDAP server. I think I have all the information I need except for one thing. Looking at the Moodle docs it tells me that when doing this I should;
    "have a non-privileged LDAP user account you will use to bind to the LDAP server." It then tells me;
    "Let's say this user account has a DN of cn=ldap-user,dc=my,dc=organization,dc=domain"

Now I have my dc address, the problem is I dont know what cn value to use. Do I have to find a pre-existing user in the LDAP server? Or will this process create my user?

here is a link to the page in docs explaining what Im trying to do LDAP_authentication

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

i spent some time working through this last year and found that the documentation is not very helpful in relation to ldap setup.

You should use an existing user (i created one specifically for moodle) so your cn will be your "username" of new user - eg moodle_user
    set the password to never expire and make sure your security people don't disable the account.
    I granted my user extended rights as it didn't seem to have enough rights as a basic user to read all of the user containers and properties.
    Don't use a dns alias for your ldap server - this gave me all sorts of grief - just point it towards one of your ldap server names - i was trying to use dns aliasing as we were switching our ldap server around a cluster of netware servers but it kept having spurious errors after a node switch.

BTW I was using eDirectory.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Thanks for the info. I decided to create my own user and a group. Im still trying to find out what should be going where, hopefully i wont mess up the whole project (I've only arrived to do this part).

We are using Active Directory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Ok, I have a major problem. It turns out the guy who installed moodle did not install LDAP with it, so now I have to install it. The problem is that I have no idea how to do this. I have a link to sourceforge where the files I need are but I dont know what to do next.
    Has anyone here done this before, or does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to install things on a moodle which has already been set up?

Plus we are using Ubuntu linux

Thanks
    Mike

Advertisement