Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roeder given 2 year contract with Newcastle

• 16-05-2006 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

from www.nufc.com
    Announcement:
    Waiting over
    for Roeder

The announcement of Glenn Roeder's appointment has finally come as Freddy Shepherd has rewarded the caretaker manager for his remarkable turnaround of the club's fortunes.

Shepherd said about the appointment:

"In the end results are the most important thing in football and Glenn Roeder certainly did that for us. In fact managers stand and fall by results and you could say Glenn won the job."

"Glenn has done the job with dignity and decorum. He now has a two year contract and both of us are happy at that. I must say that Glenn Roeder was our captain and a great servant as a player and he has a great feel for this football club."
    A year ago Glenn Roeder strode onto the pitch at St.James' Park to take a generous round of applause from a capacity crowd.

The occasion? Newcastle were entertaining Champions Chelsea in the final game of the season but Roeder's moment in the spotlight was as "half-time hero" and the acclaim came from those who hadn't shuffled off to the bogs or the bar for a beer or bovril.

Twelve months later, former Academy Manager Roeder, has been given the task of leading Newcastle United into Europe and to a serious trophy challenge, rather than grooming youngsters for someone else's first team.

It's an unlikely story and one that will hopefully have a happy ending.

Freddy Shepherd said this was the biggest decision in the club's history and the three and a half month deliberation process was seen as essential to ensure this club got back amongst the top four again.

Roeder deserves a place in the history of this club for what he managed to do last season and for his achievements as player and captain.

If he can follow in Joe Harvey's footsteps - another centre half and captain - and bring a trophy to the club then he will become a true Newcastle legend.

I was hoping for Martin O' Neill or Ottmar Hitzfeld, but he has my support. Honeymoon period won't last though and I fear the pressure that goes with the Newcastle job could destroy him. He's still a thousand times better than that fcuking twat Souness who tried to ruin us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think the honeymoon period ended when they went on that 4 or 5 game loosing streak, he came back strongly from that though.
    I think a lot of Newcastle fans would have liked a household name, like Hitzfeld or O' Neill, but I think everyone would concede that he deserves a crack at the whip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

he turned Newcastles season around so its only right he gets a chance! a couple of good signings are still needed and a few wasters to be gotten rid of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

He needs to have a good clear out up there and get rid of the stale wood that has been lying around the club. He really turned the club around and i just hope he gets the sort of financial backing that that plonker Souness got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm pretty pleased he got it to be honest, i just keep hearing predictions of doom from people.
    Hes done a decent job so far and anyway at least hes better than Souness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm pretty pleased he got it to be honest, i just keep hearing predictions of doom from people.
    Hes done a decent job so far and anyway at least hes better than Souness.

That's not very hard though ;)

I'm p[leased to see him get it too. Hopefully Newcastle can do well undre him. Bar the Souness era, they've always been a club I've liked for their entertaining football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Lemlin wrote:
    That's not very hard though ;)

I'm p[leased to see him get it too. Hopefully Newcastle can do well undre him. Bar the Souness era, they've always been a club I've liked for their entertaining football.

They where entertaining with SOuness.....how many times have you seen two players from the same side start beating each other.....classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm glad for Roeder, he'd have his full set of badges by now if he had'nt been diagnosed with cancer so the moaning from the league managers club looks very petty.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

While im happy Roeder is getting a chance I would be very dissappointed if I was a Newcastle fan. IMO Roeder wont take the club past Blackburn, Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

he's only warming the seat for when shearer decides he wants the job. the sooner shearer takes over and flops, the better off newcastle will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

While im happy Roeder is getting a chance I would be very dissappointed if I was a Newcastle fan. IMO Roeder wont take the club past Blackburn, Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Liverpool.

i dont agree there, i think we are well capable of beating the likes of spurs and blackburn.
    roeder has proven that he has great motivating skills, he had the exact same injury problems that souness had and he got the team playing with great determination and heart. im dissapointed because fat freddy said we would get a big name manager, i was hoping for hitzfield, glad we didnt get o'neill because he hasnt proven himself that much and he didnt want to manage newcastle in the 1st place, no point in getting someone who doesnt want to be there. roeder will buld a good solid team imo, i only hope that he has the capabilities to attract descent players to us and can handle the pressure that is newcastle united. also roeder was an ex captain for newcastle so he knows everything that the club is about.

Sean

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    he's only warming the seat for when shearer decides he wants the job. the sooner shearer takes over and flops, the better off newcastle will be

shearer wont get the job for many years yet, i seriously dount we will hire a manager who has no experience what so ever. well then again keegan didnt have that much experience either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i dont agree there, i think we are well capable of beating the likes of spurs and blackburn.
    roeder has proven that he has great motivating skills, he had the exact same injury problems that souness had and he got the team playing with great determination and heart. im dissapointed because fat freddy said we would get a big name manager, i was hoping for hitzfield, glad we didnt get o'neill because he hasnt proven himself that much and he didnt want to manage newcastle in the 1st place, no point in getting someone who doesnt want to be there. roeder will buld a good solid team imo, i only hope that he has the capabilities to attract descent players to us and can handle the pressure that is newcastle united. also roeder was an ex captain for newcastle so he knows everything that the club is about.

Sean

I hope he does well Sean. While he did get the team playing again this year, he will be judged on the next two years. In fairness after yet another Souness destruction of a club, Rolf Harris could have got them motivated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

shearer wont get the job for many years yet, i seriously dount we will hire a manager who has no experience what so ever. well then again keegan didnt have that much experience either!

Shearer has been named an "Ambassodor of the club" whatever the hell that entails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Graeme Souness mk II!!!!!

Oh dear oh dear what a bad appointment yet again by Newcastle. Anyone with a brain knew that Souness was going to be a disaster from day one when he was hired and I'll say the same for Roeder.

Ok, he's done ok so far at Newcastle but look his tenure at West Ham. First season they finished 7th I think and the next season he took down probably the best Premiership team ever to be relegated. Roeder was also poor when manager at Watford. Newcastle are club who badly need someone with credentials and undoubted managerial abilities to take the club further and back to where they should belong, Roeder doesn't have this.

I'll be shocked if there's a happy ending to this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

First season they finished 7th I think and the next season he took down probably the best Premiership team ever to be relegated.

Roeder was not in charge for the entire season as he had a Brain heamorage(sp) and thats why he couldt finish his coaching badges. Trevor Brooking was the manager when West Ham got relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Kingp35 wrote:
    Roeder was not in charge for the entire season as he had a Brain heamorage(sp) and thats why he couldt finish his coaching badges. Trevor Brooking was the manager when West Ham got relegated.

If I'm correct wasn't he the manager for the majority of that season?

Graeme Souness mk II!!!!!

Oh dear oh dear what a bad appointment yet again by Newcastle. Anyone with a brain knew that Souness was going to be a disaster from day one when he was hired and I'll say the same for Roeder.

Ok, he's done ok so far at Newcastle but look his tenure at West Ham. First season they finished 7th I think and the next season he took down probably the best Premiership team ever to be relegated. Roeder was also poor when manager at Watford. Newcastle are club who badly need someone with credentials and undoubted managerial abilities to take the club further and back to where they should belong, Roeder doesn't have this.

I'll be shocked if there's a happy ending to this.

roeder hasnt done ok with newcastle so far he has done great!
    he had a brain tumour and missed half the season with west ham, also all his best players were injured too. now i agree we should of been aiming higher, but roeder is a very honest guy and he gets on great with the newcastle players. and he has gave them determination, something which they didnt have under souness. the form we had under roeder was champion league form, and we still had injurys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Souness has bought a few quality proven players. Add the likes of Given to the mix and then once the defence is sorted Newcastle have a strong first XI. I wouldn't be 100% certain that Roeder is the man for the job but he has done well so far, it seems as if none of the "bigger" names really wanted.

The sooner they get rid of Shepherd the better, he is the real problem IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Nelly wrote:
    how many times have you seen two players from the same side start beating each other

As a Blackburn fan, I'm sure your brother remembers this...;)
    he had a brain tumour and missed half the season with west ham

He collapsed in his office 21 April 2003 on the day of Wham's 4th last game (which they won). Trevor Brooking took over for the last three games, winning two and drawing their last, they went down 3 points from safety (well two points off Bolton, but with a much worse GD)

He returned to the side the following season but was sacked after a bad run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Sean
    Don't know what your basing that on. The team newcastle have now is middle table at best and with little or no money without selling players this summer I can't see them improving much in the short term. on the other hand you have spurs who have a brilliant young team and are looking at splashing the cash this summer already with Berbatov set to join. Blackburn have quality (not as much as spurs) but they have belief and are willing to get stuck in to win games. Roeder might be abe to bring that to newcastle but you're still left with average players.

Newcastle will need a major reshaping with cash ready for new players. Bowyer/Luque/Chopra/Boumsong/insert random squad player here, won't fetch enough in the transfer market to rebuild a team to get 4th in the prem and shearer needs replacing........not a chance.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone here belives Newcastle are going to be a top 4 side any time soon. While it may piss fans off they will have to learn that UEFA Cup is the best that can be achived unless one of the big 4 has a bad season.

Mike.

sprinkles wrote:
    Don't know what your basing that on. The team newcastle have now is middle table at best and with little or no money without selling players this summer I can't see them improving much in the short term.
    More to the point what are you basing this on? Newcastle came 7th this year, and always have had money. They missed Owen for most of the season with a broken foot. Parker played with glandalour fever for a couple of months. Emre also missed large parts of the season.

Newcastle definitely have what it takes to challenge the likes of Spurs and Blackburn next year.

To be honest can we even be certain that Spurs and Blackburn will be as competitive next year? How many times have we seen teams have a flash in the pan season?

True, hard to credit that Ipswich were 5th only a few years back.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

sprinkles wrote:
    Don't know what your basing that on. The team newcastle have now is middle table at best and with little or no money without selling players this summer I can't see them improving much in the short term. on the other hand you have spurs who have a brilliant young team and are looking at splashing the cash this summer already with Berbatov set to join. Blackburn have quality (not as much as spurs) but they have belief and are willing to get stuck in to win games. Roeder might be abe to bring that to newcastle but you're still left with average players.

Newcastle will need a major reshaping with cash ready for new players. Bowyer/Luque/Chopra/Boumsong/insert random squad player here, won't fetch enough in the transfer market to rebuild a team to get 4th in the prem and shearer needs replacing........not a chance.

Newcastle midtable at best? Get a hold of yourself. This brilliant young team u speak of only managed to finish 2 places and a mere 7pts ahead of Newcastle. If it wasn't for Souness' incompetence and near season long injuries to the likes of Owen and Taylor we'd probably be way ahead of you by now. Only a few weeks ago we gave them a good hiding up at St.James', lest we forget. Also, if Newcastle have no money then how much do u think Spurs have to spend? Newcastle are in Europe most seasons and get 52,000 people turning up for every home game. I don't know where Spurs are getting all their money from. One semi-decent season isn't much to go on.

kinaldo wrote:
    If it wasn't for Souness' incompetence and near season long injuries to the likes of Owen and Taylor we'd probably be way ahead of you by now.

And if your Auntie had balls...
    kinaldo wrote:
    Also, if Newcastle have no money then how much do u think Spurs have to spend? Newcastle are in Europe most seasons and get 52,000 people turning up for every home game. I don't know where Spurs are getting all their money from. One semi-decent season isn't much to go on.

Well, Spurs are strongly rumoured to be signing Berbatov today for £10.7 million, have bid for Pascal Chimbonda and are interested in Wayne Bridge. There's also srumours of a cheeky £10 million bid for SWP.

As for where we get our money? Careful control of spending, full houses for every game (except Fulham I believe) at the Lane last season, we charge up to £70 for a ticket for Cat A games, which goes some way to negate your numerical advantage. We also pay what we can afford for players, and maintain a sensible wage structure (Scott Parker would be at Spurs if we were prepared to pay him 60k a week). Our recent sponsorship deal with Mansion (min. £34 million over four years) helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally posted by therecklessone
    As a Blackburn fan, I'm sure your brother remembers this...

I do indeed. It was a Champions League game in Moscow where Le Saux and Batty had a few handbags. That team was Premiership champions though so all can be forgiven IMO :)
    Originally posted by therecklessone
    As for where we get our money? Careful control of spending,

Had to stop and laugh after reading that. Here's a blast from the past for yourself:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/3929133.stm

Careful control of spending indeed ;)

Lemlin wrote:

Had to stop and laugh after reading that. Here's a blast from the past for yourself:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/3929133.stm

Careful control of spending indeed ;)

A wee lesson in the economics of THFC...

Rebrov bought when Sugar had control (by George Graham). In Sugar's defence he left the club in a healthy financial state.

ENIC are now the controlling shareholders at THFC, with Daniel Levy as chairman. Levy, as representative of ENIC, ensures that club spends wisely. Examples would be recouping the money spent on Pedro Mendes, Sean Davis, Noe Pamarot, Gregorz Raziak for example. In fact, the only transfer we've made that was questionable value for money wise was the purchase of Andy Reid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

I honestly dont think Roeder should be offered the job. Newcastle are desperate, he has a few good results. But players seem to step up more when there is a change in managers so the results were bound to happen. Remember if you have a fall out with a manager and are not getting your game if he is sacked all of a sudden your on a level playing field again. Roeder, to be honest is not a good manager. Shearer, has the possibility but wants to wait a year or two. O`Neill well is a good manager but i think it maybe to early for him as his wife still isnt well. Curbishley i think is a great manager and could do amazing things if given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

More to the point what are you basing this on? Newcastle came 7th this year, and always have had money. They missed Owen for most of the season with a broken foot. Parker played with glandalour fever for a couple of months. Emre also missed large parts of the season.

Newcastle definitely have what it takes to challenge the likes of Spurs and Blackburn next year.

To be honest can we even be certain that Spurs and Blackburn will be as competitive next year? How many times have we seen teams have a flash in the pan season?

Get over yourself. Newcastle are one of those teams that has a good year once a decade. Their trophy cabinet speaks for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

Spurs are a bit more then a flash in the pan. And next season will be a force to recon with. Blackburn, well say no more. Newcastle have average players but to top it off have signed a below average manager. Next season will be Newcastles worst season yet. I predict bottom half of the table and Roeder to get the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

smashey wrote:
    Their trophy cabinet speaks for itself.

Do they have one?

Im not sure about Roeder, but i just love all the toon fans constantly giving this big club thing, quite funny IMO....

the Roeder bubble will burst after a few weeks of the season (unless you get a defence sorted out - Moore is NOT a good defender and don't get me started on that waste of money that is Boumsong)...

and im not sure whether the likes of Owen and Parker (who i think only went to the toon to try get into the WC squad) will want to hang around a mediocre mid table team...if thats where they finish next season.

smashey wrote:
    Newcastle are one of those teams that has a good year once a decade. Their trophy cabinet speaks for itself.

Who do u support, dare I ask? Being talked down to by ManUtd fans is one thing (doesn't bother me too much as most of their fans can't even remember what year they won what or whom they had to beat), but being talked down to by Spurs fans and their like is something I can't tolerate. For the record, since Newcastle joined the Premiership a year after it began, we've finished 2nd twice, 3rd twice, 4th once, and also 5th, 6th and 7th place finishes. Combined with 2 FA Cup finals and Champions League football. How many clubs outside the current top 4 can match that?

p_larkin99
    Do they have one?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054932211
    Im not sure about Roeder, but i just love all the toon fans constantly giving this big club thing, quite funny IMO....
    Clearly you've never been to Newcastle. It's hard to comprehend the size of the club, not to mention the stadium, and what it means to the city unless you've actually been there. They're a massive club with huge support. Newcaste Utd are the definition of sleeping giants.

smashey wrote:
    Get over yourself. Newcastle are one of those teams that has a good year once a decade. Their trophy cabinet speaks for itself.
    What a fabulous but still chronically ill-informed response. It's great to debate with such intellect.

If you want to enter a debate at least back up your argument with some facts as opposed to biased opinions.

Oh and "No you get over yourself!".

What a fabulous but still chronically ill-informed response. It's great to debate with such intellect.

If you want to enter a debate at least back up your argument with some facts as opposed to biased opinions.

Oh and "No you get over yourself!".

Okay then JT. When was the last time Newcastle won a trophy?

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    Okay then JT. When was the last time Newcastle won a trophy?
    Decades, but I was insinuating more to your "one good year a decade point" and the "midtable side at best" point earlier.

As has been pointed out by another poster

"For the record, since Newcastle joined the Premiership a year after it began, we've finished 2nd twice, 3rd twice, 4th once, and also 5th, 6th and 7th place finishes. Combined with 2 FA Cup finals and Champions League football. How many clubs outside the current top 4 can match that?"

Answer that question for me so.

Newcastle have been the most successful team outside the top four in the last year. And going on league placings alone (particularly pre-Abramovich)you would be splitting hairs dividing them between Chelsea and Liverpool, granted the latter two have won considerable silverware in cup competitions.

They finished 7th this year (despite changing manager) behind a Spurs side who have finished in the top six for the first time in something like 15 years, and a Blackburn side who finished sixth as little as six or seven years ago but who have also been fighting relegation in that time too. The fitness (or lack of) of Owen cost them points this year, they only finished seven points behind Spurs, to write them off as contenders for the second tier of the league at this stage is just down right idiotic.

Decades, but I was insinuating more to your "one good year a decade point" and the "midtable side at best" point earlier.

As has been pointed out by another poster

"For the record, since Newcastle joined the Premiership a year after it began, we've finished 2nd twice, 3rd twice, 4th once, and also 5th, 6th and 7th place finishes. Combined with 2 FA Cup finals and Champions League football. How many clubs outside the current top 4 can match that?"

Answer that question for me so.

Newcastle have been the most successful team outside the top four in the last year. And going on league placings alone (particularly pre-Abramovich)you would be splitting hairs dividing them between Chelsea and Liverpool, granted the latter two have won considerable silverware in cup competitions.

They finished 7th this year (despite changing manager) behind a Spurs side who have finished in the top six for the first time in something like 15 years, and a Blackburn side who finished sixth as little as six or seven years ago but who have also been fighting relegation in that time too. The fitness (or lack of) of Owen cost them points this year, they only finished seven points behind Spurs, to write them off as contenders for the second tier of the league at this stage is just down right idiotic.

I will agree with you that they have been fairly consistent over the years. However, when are they going to win something, like Blackburn, Spurs, Middlesbrough, and Leciester City have? These clubs have all won something within the last decade, while you seem happy to finish third or fourth or be runners up in the cup. If Newcastle was my team, I would want them to be winning trophies a regular basis and I would be getting a bit pissed off with equating mediocrity with success.

smashey wrote:
    I will agree with you that they have been fairly consistent over the years.
    Less than twelve hours ago you said they were a team that had one good season a decade. Make up your mind will you?
    smashey wrote:
    However, when are they going to win something, like Blackburn, Spurs, Middlesbrough, and Leciester City have? These clubs have all won something within the last decade, while you seem happy to finish third or fourth or be runners up in the cup. If Newcastle was my team, I would want them to be winning trophies a regular basis and I would be getting a bit pissed off with equating mediocrity with success.
    You are right, again, I'm sure none of Blackburn, Middlesboro, Spurs or Leicester supporters would swap their single League Cup victory plus a spell in Division One (bar Spurs) for regular top six finishes and UEFA/CL campaigns.

Now how do I put those sarcasm tags on?

Less than twelve hours ago you said they were a team that had one good season a decade. Make up your mind will you?

You are right, again, I'm sure none of Blackburn, Middlesboro, Spurs or Leicester supporters would swap their single League Cup victory plus a spell in Division One (bar Spurs) for regular top six finishes and UEFA/CL campaigns.

Now how do I put those sarcasm tags on?

Sorry, that should have been consistantly mediocre.

I see no sign of any ambition from you whatsoever. You seem happy to plod along without ever winning anything, while claiming this is success. Yeah, a few of the teams I mentioned have been relegated, but at least they had the occasional piece of silverware to show their fans.

smashey wrote:
    Since when is consistently finishing in the top six considered "mediocre"? It's quite an achievement for a "mid table club at best".
    smashey wrote:
    I see no sign of any ambition from you whatsoever. You seem happy to plod along without ever winning anything, while claiming this is success. Yeah, a few of the teams I mentioned have been relegated, but at least they had the occasional piece of silverware to show their fans.
    For a start, I don't support Newcastle.

Secondly are you saying that single league cup win negates a relegation and a decade of mid-table finishes?

I think you may need your head examined. You obviously have some serious issues with Newcastle United Football club.

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:

Seriously mate, this has losing battle written all over it.

Excluding the top 4, Newcastle have been the best of the rest in the PL since they came up. Granted they've won nothing, but they've challenged for a couple of seasons in the league, reached a couple of cup finals and competed in Europe regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'm sure newcastle fans in 50 years time will look back on the big pile of nothing the club won over the turn of the century and say to themselves "those were the glory years, we were a huge club"

my point is, if newcasle were as big a club as they seem to regard themselves as, they would have more silverwear than alan shearers annual golden boot in their no doubt massive throphy room.

Secondly are you saying that single league cup win negates a relegation and a decade of mid-table finishes?

I think you may need your head examined. You obviously have some serious issues with Newcastle United Football club.

I have no issues with Newcastle United Football club and I certainly don't need my head examined. I have been to St. James' Park. My point not only applies to Newcastle, but to all those other 'massive clubs' out there, and it is simply to back up your massive claims with silverware and not near misses. In my opinion, success is defined by trophies.

Advertisement