Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options on retirement

Options
  • 16-05-2006 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I've to write up a letter about retirement options but I'm kinda confusing myself by reading up too much about it!

So I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me :)

Employees - out of their compulsory contributions, they can get tax-free cash (1.5 x Final Salary) and they must purchase an annuity with the rest.

Out of their AVCs, they can put it towards a larger annuity, buy an ARF, draw out all the money and have it taxed as income. Where does tax-free cash come in here?

5% directors - they can treat both compulsory and AVCs as "AVCs", i.e. they can put all their money into an ARF if they so choose (incl the tax-free cash option which is 25%).

New finance bill 2006 changes:
    Limit on the pension fund that is tax efficient - it is now €5m, there was never a cap before? Anything above this is taxed at 42%, so if it's €6m, then €1m gets taxed. Then you can take your tax-free cash, which is 25% of the fund or 1.5 x Final Salary (whichever is higher). This is subject to a max of €1.25m. There was no max before?

Finally, you are taxed on 3% of your ARF fund regardless of whether or not you draw money from it? If you draw 0% income, you are taxed on 3% of the fund at a rate of 20% or 42% (depending on your PAYE status?). If you draw 2% income, you are taxed on the 2% at your PAYE rate + PRSI, then 1% at PAYE. If you draw 4%, you are taxed on 4% at PAYE rate + PRSI, etc. This 3% only came in this year.

Is that right? Or have I got it totally all wrong? Thanks a million everyone, really appreciate it.

Advertisement