Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Final - Arsenal v Barcelona

• 16-05-2006 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭

Never thought I'd get to say that.

Right, the countdown has begun. Starting to get nervous here. From reading around this morning it seems Campbell is going to be in the team ahead of Senderos. I hope that this isn't the case, as it has been reported that Big Phil is fit and raring to go. Cole is expected to start ahead of Flamini, Gilberto will be aiming to do the same job that he did on Riquelme to Ronaldinho (seems impossible to stop Ronaldinho, but thats the aim), and we're gonna play five across the midfield with Henry up front.

Expected Team:

Lehmann

Eboue
    Campbell
    Toure
    Cole

Reyes---Cesc
    Gilberto----Ljungberg--Hleb

Henry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'll take 3-3 and nothing less. Whoever wins on penalties, I don't really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

It will be the exact opposite of last year. Last year not many people where expecting much from a entertainment point of view with Liverpool and AC. This year the talk is all about what a fantastic game it will be, it'll probably be 0-0 now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yes, a repeat of last year's FA Cup final. No score with Barca dominating, but not being able to find the killer goal, hitting the woodwork a couple of times. Deco to miss Barca's 5th penalty, Fabregas to get the winner for Arsenal.

Of course this assumes Wenger picks Senderos ahead of Campbell as he did last year. If not, he'll be altering reality and anything could happen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Its the best defense in Europe this season against the best attack. Im really hoping for a classic and think it could well be one. Ronaldinho v Henry. I cant wait for this:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

I dont see a very entertaining match but want to see arsenal being put in thier place by a superior barca team! come on the barca!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Barca to take this easily, the speed of their attack is something that Arsenal havent really had to face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I agree with the team that Roddy23 posted. But if Swiss Tony is fit would prefer him over Sol. If Sol is chosen he owes us the game of his life

I think if we attack the Barca defence we are more than capable of scoring against them. Dont rate van Bronckhorst,even when he played for us. Also think Cole is a more attacking option and Flamini would be unlucky so we also need to have a go at Olegeur

I think Gilberto can do a good job on Ronaldinho & make sure he does not get enough of the ball and when he does he will be his shadow

We need another Madrid performace and not a Villareal away performance. Think Barca will give us the space and we can punish them

Was offered 2 tickets for the game @ €500 each but cannot go due to work commitments so another member took them

Lets just hope we can do it and F the begrudgers(including all those spuds who wore Barca Jerseys)

C'mon you Gunners see you in the Westmoreland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

There is some controversy after an official was photographed in a Barca jersey:
    http://dt.no/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060516/NYHET/60516007/1005/NYHET
    I don't know exactly what he is, I couldn't find a good enough translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

There is some controversy after an official was photographed in a Barca jersey:
    http://dt.no/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060516/NYHET/60516007/1005/NYHET
    I don't know exactly what he is, I couldn't find a good enough translation.

He is the assistant ref

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=387679&CPID=5&clid=3&lid=2&title=Ref+apologises+for+Barca+gaffe

I think it's rediculous if this guy is allowed to officiate in this match, I don't know iin what context he was seen wearing the jersey but it clearly shows he is not impartial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mchurl wrote:
    Its the best defense in Europe this season against the best attack. Im really hoping for a classic and think it could well be one. Ronaldinho v Henry. I cant wait for this:D
    this is what everyone is predicting so chances are it'll be the opposite. Lets hope not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

nervous myself as well. Favourites have to be Barca, but for the poster who wants Arsenal put in their place, i dont get this??. Anyway, lets hope for a bad game and an Arsenal win, over a good game and a Barca win. If we dont conceed in the first 1/2 id be more confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

mcgarnicle wrote:
    He is the assistant ref

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=387679&CPID=5&clid=3&lid=2&title=Ref+apologises+for+Barca+gaffe

I think it's rediculous if this guy is allowed to officiate in this match, I don't know iin what context he was seen wearing the jersey but it clearly shows he is not impartial
    It doesn't "clearly show" he's not impartial. It was more than likely just a few Barca fans having a bit of craic with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It doesn't "clearly show" he's not impartial. It was more than likely just a few Barca fans having a bit of craic with him.

The local newspaper in his hometown asked him to pose in both jerseys. When he turned up, all they had was the Barcelona kit. He has apologised and UEFA will not be replacing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

smashey wrote:
    The local newspaper in his hometown asked him to pose in both jerseys. When he turned up, all they had was the Barcelona kit. He has apologised and UEFA will not be replacing him.

He actually owned the Barca jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

psi wrote:
    He actually owned the Barca jersey.
    Well they hardly expected him to give it back, so yes.

p.pete wrote:
    Well they hardly expected him to give it back, so yes.

Very droll.

HE actually owned it before he was asked to do the photo shoot.

In fact, I used the past tense to denote that at the time of the shoot, he already had ownership.

I hope the clarification allows an end for such pedantry.

Yours etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

smashey wrote:
    Ah, well that clears it up. To someone who didn't know it looks dodgy though!

Meanest defence against meanest attack, I hope the two teams don't cancel each other out. If I was a betting man I'd wouldn't put money on us getting another 6-goal final like saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

barca 3-1

i hope it is a good game

Ah, well that clears it up. To someone who didn't know it looks dodgy though!

Meanest defence against meanest attack, I hope the two teams don't cancel each other out. If I was a betting man I'd wouldn't put money on us getting another 6-goal final like saturday.

Not really, according to BBC Sports he actually owned a Barca jersey himself.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4986436.stm

I think thats a bit suspicious. I wouldn't see it proves bias, but for the sake of face, I think he should be replaced (especially in light of the happenings in Seria A).

As usual, UEFA and FIFA don't do whats best for the game and then look puzzled when it comes back to slap them later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Myself and a mate are heading, Im a United fan and hes an AC Milan fan, the only way it could be worse is if he was a Madrid fan and I was a Spurs fan. Looking forward to it nonetheless.

Poor old Wenger is in that horrible position of whether to stick with the youngesters who got him there or the returning pro's. Personally I dont think Campbell should start. He has put in some bad performances since returning. Havent seen Cole since his return but he is a solid, naturally fit defender who would be capable of a seamless return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Barca to win 3 - 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Messi is fit also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

mcgarnicle wrote:
    He is the assistant ref

If you think about it I think that in some weird way this will actually help Arsenal. The official involved wil be ding his best to make sure he doesnt give any dodgy calls in Barcelonas favour or people will be screaming cheat. If anything I think the official may side with Arsenal now in order to make sure his reputation is not tainted.

By the way Senderos has to start if fit or Arsenal are in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Ronaldinho wants to emulated the Sevilla-Borough result of 4-0.

I say Barca will win though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lino has been replaced.

Reports are saying that Campbell will start. Bugger.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Latest on the linesman
    Linesman ejected from Paris final

One of the linesmen for the Champions League final has been replaced after being photographed wearing a Barcelona shirt on Monday. Norwegian Ole Hermann Borgan wore the shirt for a photoshoot with his local newspaper, Drammens Tidende.

Borgan had insisted he would remain impartial and Uefa initially stuck by him before deciding to replace him with his compatriot Arild Sundet. Sundet is not yet in Paris, but will be flown in on Wednesday morning.

The newspaper wanted Borgan to wear both Arsenal and Barcelona shirts for the photoshoot, according to its sports editor Per Jan Brekke. But the official found out he only owned a Barca shirt - and this was the picture that appeared in Tuesday's edition of the paper.

"It was both insensitive and stupid of me. I did not think deeply enough about the situation and the consequences when I was asked to dress up in the shirt," Borgan said. "But there is no reason to doubt my impartiality - I don't support either of the teams."

Norway's referees chief, Rune Pedersen, agreed that Borgan had been unwise to pose in the shirt. "There is an unwritten rule that officials must not do anything which will cast doubt on their impartiality," he said.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger had earlier played down the incident, saying: "I never go into a game looking at the referees. I always have a positive feeling about them. They always do the job as well as they can and in an honest way. The fact that one of the guys is pictured in a Barcelona shirt doesn't change my mind."

And his Barca counterpart Frank Rijkaard added: "Arsenal should give him a shirt straight away and take a photo. Then we will be levelled. I really don't think it makes any difference, as far as I know he was on holiday."

The officials for the final will all be Norwegian, with Hauge the main man in charge and Steinar Holvik and Sundet running the lines.

Hauge was critical of Borgan but said he understood why he had posed for the picture. He explained: "It was a stupid thing to do but I can assure you he did it in pure joy at being picked for this game. "There was no intention to bring speculation that he is a Barcelona supporter. He put a shirt on to symbolise the final. He has never been a Barca fan. It was a stupid slip which he regrets a lot."

BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't really mind who wins as Barca are as English as Arsenal right now! ;)

I suspect it could be a draw after 90 with Arsenals extra grit and determination scraping a win 3-2.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

As usual, UEFA and FIFA don't do whats best for the game and then look puzzled when it comes back to slap them later.

It's a bit of common sense. The guy isn't a fan, he is a fan of another team. I own a Barca jersey, doesn't mean I'm biased towards then. People own jerseys of teams that they like the jerseys of.

It's irrelevent and it's just been made to sell newspapers, and people buy into it.

As for the match, this whole, oh because we expect it to be exciting it won't, is just stupid. This happens once in a while, and when it does you remember it. Most of the time, predictions come true.

It's goan be a great match. I don't think Arsenal have enough up front to trouble Barca's defense. Henry can do wonders, but he is going up against a ****ing brilliant defense, which people tend to forget. They may score, but I don't think it'll matter.

Arsenal don't have it in defense to stop Barca from scoring. THe only way this will happen is if all of the Barca team don't turn up, but I don't think that'll happen. As always Arsenal's wing backs will be their downfall, but with Cole back, it'll just be with Eboue, I expect him to get caught out and hit on the break.

Prediction:
    3-1 to Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the real gulf in class between these two teams can be seen in the fact that only two of the Arsenal players would get into the Barca team, Cole and Henry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I think the real gulf in class between these two teams can be seen in the fact that only two of the Arsenal players would get into the Barca team, Cole and Henry.
    On current form Lehmann and Toure would push very very hard. I'd probably have both.

Fabregas or Motta or Edmilson? I know who I'd rather have.

Eboue/Lauren VS Belletti/Oleguer. Hardly what I would call a "real gulf in class".

Ljungberg and Pires, who despite both having disappointing seasons this time round can be absolutely electric when in the mood.

I reckon you should just keep talking down any chance Arsenal have, sure it definitely can't come back to bite you in the ass ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lehmann on recent form would get ahead of Victor Valdes. I am also pretty sure Edmilson would lose out to Fabregas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Wenger will have to play Senderos ahead of Campbell or we're in trouble :eek:
    Any team can have an off day so all the Barca fans don't get too over confident, stranger things have happened. It's a 50/50 match dependent on which of the 2 giants (Ronaldino or Henry) play the better.
    Also a lot depends on how Gilberto plays.
    Don't forget Arsenal are the form team in Europe at the moment undefeated, clean sheets etc.
    On team sheets Barca just shade it but.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Fabregas and Edmilson don't have the same role in midfield. Compare Cesc to Xavi or Deco if you want to make it more relevant.

okidoki have to disagree with you. Barcelona are more than capable of destroying teams without Ronaldinho, even if he has an off day the talent is deep enough to cover. Arsenal will feel a bad performance from Henry more than Barca will feel one from Ronaldinho.

Barcelona have only conceeded four goals, and scored more than any other team. Arsenal are superb when it comes to lightning counter attacking football. I can't see this being a bad game at all, in fact quite the opposite. Even if the two cancel each other out the football should still be fantastic.

Barcelona to win by a couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Arsenal to win by two goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Valdes

Oleguer--Puyol---Marquez--Van Bronckhorst

Edmilson-Xavi

-Giuly
    Ronaldinho---

Eto'o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

What about Deco or Van Bommel, AngelofFire?

You are a player short in your team there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Valdes

Edmilson-Deco

---Xavi
    Ronaldinho---

Giuly
    Eto'o

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Valdes
    Belletti
    Puyol
    Marquez---Van Bronckhorst
    Edmilson

Xavi
    Deco
    ----Messi
    Ronaldinho

Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Valdes

Edmilson-Xavi

-Giuly
    Ronaldinho---

Eto'o

Dammit was hoping that was the team.

Ah the nerves have kicked in big time now. Gonna need a few soothing pints come five o clock.

Oh yeah, just a quick question to the Liverpool supporters from last year. Was talking to a mate last week bout the final last year, he was talking about a ritual he had to follow during the game. He had to watch the match from his bedroom. All through the competition if he wasn't watching the match in his room Liverpool lost, think it was Monaco and some other game he was watchin in the pub and they lost.

Now I amn't superstitious at all, but I have started to believe that if I have to be in my chair in the pub before kick off. I have sat in the same chair the whole way through. This might seem a touch odd, but its just something that I have noticed. Oh yeah and by the way my mate watched the first half of the final in the pub. Decided to go home at half time up to his room, and well ye know the rest.

• Advertisement

duplicate post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Well if you go to the toilet and someone is in your chair when you come back......hit them a rut into the nuts and get them out of that chair Quickley.

I can't believe it but I am really nervous already, I haven't done a tap all day in my job.

Here is something for you Roddy23, a bit of Highbury Highs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnHMfK9RwY0&search=highbury%20highs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Don't have a preference who wins, but looking forward to it! Should be great stuff altogether! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yes, a repeat of last year's FA Cup final. No score with Barca dominating, but not being able to find the killer goal, hitting the woodwork a couple of times. Deco to miss Barca's 5th penalty, Fabregas to get the winner for Arsenal.

Of course this assumes Wenger picks Senderos ahead of Campbell as he did last year. If not, he'll be altering reality and anything could happen :D

Too late for that. Arsenal already broke the chain when, unlike Liverpool, they finished ahead of their local rivals Tottenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Roddy23 wrote:
    Oh yeah, just a quick question to the Liverpool supporters from last year. Was talking to a mate last week bout the final last year, he was talking about a ritual he had to follow during the game. He had to watch the match from his bedroom. All through the competition if he wasn't watching the match in his room Liverpool lost, think it was Monaco and some other game he was watchin in the pub and they lost.

Now I amn't superstitious at all, but I have started to believe that if I have to be in my chair in the pub before kick off. I have sat in the same chair the whole way through. This might seem a touch odd, but its just something that I have noticed. Oh yeah and by the way my mate watched the first half of the final in the pub. Decided to go home at half time up to his room, and well ye know the rest.
    i know a few people with rituals like that, it gets you in the right frame of mind for a game of this importance. i can well imagine what arsenal fans are feeling, i was a bag of nerves this time last year.

as for the match, on paper barcelona should win comfortably but like one of the guests on the beeb on saturday said, "unfortunately the game isn't played on paper, its played on grass!" i expect it to be cagey enough with barcelona winning 2-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My advice is if Arsenal go a goal (or three) down then leave the room, its an immutable law of football that your teams will score when you're not watching. Certainly worked for me last May :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hoping for an Arsenal win. I probably won't see a bit of the game (unless extra time is called for) but hopefully the Gunners can do it.

Here is something for you Roddy23, a bit of Highbury Highs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnHMf...ghbury%20highs

Cheers for that!! Hope Daltrey ain't gonna release that.

Looks like Pires and Hleb to start, with Reyes not starting, thats according to football 365.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

mike65 wrote:
    My advice is if Arsenal go a goal (or three) down then leave the room, its an immutable law of football that your teams will score when you're not watching. Certainly worked for me last May :)
    Mike.

Happened to me on saturday too:p Anyway best of luck Arsenal, I think that Barca might just have too much firepower, but if Henry is on his game anything can happen. Lets hope its a good game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement