Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Final - Arsenal v Barcelona

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Oh the bitterness from Henry. Oh so bitter.
    The ref was muck, but where was he when Eboue dived? Had he not sent of Lehmann Barca would be one up. Blah blah blah not a real game blah blah never know blah blah blah.
    I can honestly say I greatly dislike Martin Tyler and I absolutely detest Andy Gray.

Well done Barcelona.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

gandalf wrote:
    Well done to Barca, they deserved it.

That ref should be struck off he ruined us all the chance to see these great two footballing teams play each other as equals. An absolute disgrace!!!

Ah Gandy I know you are dissappointed but come on only one person is responsible for us not seeing the teams play each other as equals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Larsson finally gets what he deserves rather than devoting himself to the most shambolic league in existance AKA the Scottish League; a Champions League medal and two assists in the biggest game of his life.

And Beletti a guy not even in the Brazil squad gets his goal. Awesome.

How can you not give credit to Barcelona? They have **** full backs and a goalkeeper not even in the Spain squad. Yet Rijkaard has made them solid.

Rijkaard has proven he has so much tactical knowledge. Playing Olegeur and turning him into a semi-decent right back, playing Eto out on the left and even left back against Milan. The man is a true footballing genius and is up there with the very best.

BTW if Lehmann was not a ****ing over-dramatic fouling queen, he would still have been on the pitch but he wasn't, he is a birdbrain idiot. He and Arsenal deserve everything they get; Nothing of any substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Andy Gray is the most bitter commentator I know. It was not the ref that 'ruined' the game with the sending off, it was Lehman who done that by pulling down Eto'o when he rounded him. In fact, advantage should have been played and Barcelona goal should have stood then Lehman should have been sent off. As for the Arsenal goal, that was the most blatent dive I have seen for the freekick.

True thats why the ref was an idiot.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

mike65 wrote:
    Bad luck Arsenal, Henry really should have put that 1 on 1 chance away and Barcas attack was'nt that brilliant tbh.

Mike.

What a pity for the Arse, ref ruined the feckin game! It was always gonna be a Barca win, you can't expect to defend a 1-0 lead for most of the game with only 10 men against Barca.

Fusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

rofl, Henry complaining to Guily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

gandalf wrote:

The Ref will be though !!! What a bloody muppet, ruined the game !!!!

Wake up. Lehman ruined the game, not the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

musician wrote:
    Ah Gandy I know you are dissappointed but come on only one person is responsible for us not seeing the teams play each other as equals.

Yes that ****in excuse for a ref !!! From ****in NORWAY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

cheesedude wrote:
    Larsson finally gets what he deserves rather than devoting himself to the most shambolic league in existance AKA the Scottish League; a Champions League medal and two assists in the biggest game of his life.

Oh dear..... I bet you were one of the people who said Larsson had to play in the EPL to prove himself :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gandy Calm down or you'll pay for this latter!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

The referee is a ****ing woman because he had no balls to make any calls.

gandalf wrote:

you are right, that ref should have awarded the disallowed goal, sent off Lehman and booked the Arsenal player for diving!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

gandalf wrote:

Lehman was in goal not reffing. By the way Larsson has done a big favour for Celtic too tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

as much as i agree lehmann had to go, the ref did have an atrocious game though

HAHAH,
    they are picking on Henry just cause they know they are on tilt!!!

HAHAHAHAH
    This is ****ing hilarious.
    Evil bastards

HAHAH
    I will join with whatever Mourinho said about them.

This is great

• Advertisement

Oh dear..... I bet you were one of the people who said Larsson had to play in the EPL to prove himself :rolleyes:

****ing schoolboys play better than the quality in the Scottish League. He finally got out of that dive and proved he is one of the best players. What a player. Hopefully other top class players won't do what he did and devote himself to a **** league. Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Henry was probably just saying to Giuly when he will be a team-mate with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

In the Sky Sports studio, Paul Merson looks like he needs a stiff drink.... no.. wait...... um...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Henry will be in big trouble for the comments about the ref needing a Barcelona shirt.

However, on a more positove note I reckon that he will want to stay with Arsenal after that. Yay arsenal fans.

Also, to see Arsenal go down in the same way Chelsea did is sickening. I hated to see it happen to my team but even seeing it happen to another is painful. Especially when I do think that Arsenal do deserve a Champions League trophy that is way overdue from their 03-04 season.

I absolutely hated seeing Liverpool fluke their way through last years CL cause they didn't deserve it at all, and I hate seeing Man U win anything, but I would have liked Arsenal to have gotten it purely because they play such magnificent football and that type of play should be rewarded.

Hard luck Arsenal.

Shame the game worked out like it did and we couldn't see if you could properly prove yourselves against a team I think you could have beaten.

995 mins of CL footie before they conceeded the first goal

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

So do we restart the debate about Henry being a choker? He missed two decent chances tonight.

cheesedude wrote:
    ****ing schoolboys play better than the quality in the Scottish League. He finally got out of that dive and proved he is one of the best players. What a player. Hopefully other top class players won't do what he did and devote himself to a **** league. Hopefully.

You are so bitter.... did you get knocked back by some Scottish bird or are are you just jealous that Celtic were the 1st British team to win the European Cup?

Larsson, did not have to play in the EPL to 'prove' himself!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I am so happy right now, two years in a row , two great finals.

Sky Sports coverage is an absolute joke. They are whinging and complaining still.

Also with regard to Henry, why cudnt he be a little more sporting, he suddenly changes his tone when the PR lady came over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

sjones wrote:
    Wake up. Lehman ruined the game, not the ref.

In fairness, I think Lehmann made an honest attempt to play the ball, but Eto'o got there first, and the rest is history. I wouldn't be rushing to blame anyone for the way the game turned out - thats just the way these things happen.

I can't fault the lads for effort - they were tremendous for the entire game. Unfortunately, when we just needed a bit of quality, it was Henry who came up short. He had 2, maybe even 3 great chances to wrap up the match, but he missed all of them. Typical of his career so far really... hat-trick against Wigan, hat-trick of misses against Barcelona.

PHB - I don't think I've seen anyone on this board being less gracious in victory / defeat. I'm sure some of the posters will remember this when you're in the same position. Give it a rest, will ya?

Shame the game worked out like it did and we couldn't see if you could properly prove yourselves against a team I think you could have beaten.

Because an Arsenal player pulled down a Barcelona player who was just about to score?

mr_angry wrote:
    In fairness, I think Lehmann made an honest attempt to play the ball, but Eto'o got there first,

He pulled him down after Eto'o went past him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

¡Siempre Barcelona! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

True, you could see that Lehmann meant to pull him down. The ref is the scapegoat for Arsenal fans, unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Because an Arsenal player pulled down a Barcelona player who was just about to score?
    Yes. That happens in football; it was a red and it changed the game.

It's a shame that particular period of play ended in a red card.

That ok for you now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mr_angry wrote:
    PHB - I don't think I've seen anyone on this board being less gracious in victory / defeat. I'm sure some of the posters will remember this when you're in the same position. Give it a rest, will ya?

couldnt agree more, roll on next season when united get their a$$ handed to them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

wow, so many bitter Utd fans here.... :rolleyes:

Lehman deserved to go but there is no question 11-aside would have made a brilliant 90 minutes (maybe more).

so Henry is bitter, there's no team in the world that doesn't complain about a decision (or set of them) that went against them.

The free kick wasn't a foul, so what? It happens every weekend in every game across Europe, get over it. Robben, Ronaldo, Gerrard, every player is guilty of trying it on with the ref. No fan can point finger at Arsenal without pretending his team are innocent.

An entertaining game, disappointing for the Gunners.

PHB, your head is in your ass, pull it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Nice one Barca....good news for Celtic too.....the best team in europe are champions!!

Well done Arsenal though, a great run and they did well on the night to hold them for that long.

Whats left now...oh yeah...World Cup! :D

I don't what is better right now, the fact Barca won or the fact Sky pundits/commentators are so bitter.

Martin Tyler "Arsenal down to ten men and against eleven , maybe even 12" ha, muppet.

Iniesta really made a huge difference. So did Larsson. Belletti, delighted for him, first ever goal for the club and what a time to get it.

Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Too much has been made about the ref i feel, on all the programmes. He had blown the wistle when the player went down and couldn't let the play continue because ofr it. Should have played advantage and with lehmann being the last man he had to walk. Bringing up his nationality is a joke though. RTE and Sky have to be ashamed of them selves for using such an argument. He was picked for the final for a reason and that is because he is a highly thought of referee.

You are so bitter.... did you get knocked back by some Scottish bird or are are you just jealous that Celtic were the 1st British team to win the European Cup?

Larsson, did not have to play in the EPL to 'prove' himself!!!

Are you blind? I never said he had to go to the EPL to prove himself. I always said he was a top player. Finally and thankfully he left a SHAMBOLIC league to go to a proper team. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the better side won. arsenal as usual blame the referee for losing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: typical.

what about arsenal's goal? a blatent dive, disgraceful dive for that free kick. from then on arsenal were heroes and sky gloated on the fact that they were defying the odds, as soon as barca scored it was all back to that sending off.

barca, fair play to them, kept sticking to their guns and passing their way through a 10 man wall. many a side would have lofted it in for the last 20 mins. larsson motm.

ronaldinho always played well imo, literally splitting arsenal at least 3 times with clever passes. (he played the pass for lehmanns sending off). barca did what they had to do, it wasn't their fault the ref made a questionnable decesion.

technically, the ref called it spot on regarding lehmann. by the letter of the law he should have been red carded and actually blew before the goal was scored so couldnt have allowed play to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

on the matter of the lehman foul, it was defiently a red, if anything if I was a barca fan I would be annoyed that it wasn't a red AND a goal.

That said Arsenal did brilliantly, hard luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Barcelona deserved to win, I can now see why Ronaldhino is player of the year and Henry isn't

Henry will be welcomed in Barcelona...

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    Are you blind? I never said he had to go to the EPL to prove himself. I always said he was a top player. Finally and thankfully he left a SHAMBOLIC league to go to a proper team. End of story.

I do think Cetic are a proper team, feel i have to say this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

This is disgraceful... Sky interviewer goading Lehmann into commenting on the referee. Shocking.

Right the thing is I do not grudge Barca the win, I would have preferred if the Ref has some f***in common sense played the advantage, allowed the Barca goal (which it clearly was), yellow carded Lehmann and allowed us to see what was shaping up to be a great game 11 vs 11. The ref was sub standard and shouldn't even ref a Sunday League game (and yes that included Eboues dodgy free kick, the only thing that he gave Arsenals way in that game!)

What galls me is the pathetic joy from mainly Man United fans here, you are absolutely pathetic !!!!!

Indeed, I'm soooo sorry for being highly amused by Henry's interview and Sky goading him into it.
    I feel really bad about it, please, have my apoligies.

I find it absolutely hilarious that all of Arsenal, except Lehmann, complained after the match that it woulda been different with ten men, as if somebody else was to blame. Nope, Arsenal were to blame.
    Also if you're looking for somebody less gracious in defeat, watch the TV, there's this french guy on atm.

---

Was Barca's first goal offside?
    Nobody's mentioned it till after the game

PiE wrote:
    This is disgraceful... Sky interviewer goading Lehmann into commenting on the referee. Shocking.

Their job is to create headlines and news/things to talk about, he has to ask those kind of questions...people want reaction from the players and the reporter is merely asking him!

quarryman wrote:

so Henry is bitter, there's no team in the world that doesn't complain about a decision (or set of them) that went against them.

The free kick wasn't a foul, so what? It happens every weekend in every game across Europe, get over it. Robben, Ronaldo, Gerrard, every player is guilty of trying it on with the ref. No fan can point finger at Arsenal without pretending his team are innocent.

The point is Arsenal, their fans and the pundits are all moaning about the ref, but he was hardly more biased towards Barcelona considering some of the decisions he made.

Had Barcelona not scored and Arsenal had won 1-0, the pundits would say nothing. They wouldn't mention Eboue dived and a goal came from it. That's the point.

Barcelona were no saints. Marquez creased Henry and should have been booked. Oleguer should have been booked long before he was. I haven't said Barcelona were innocent, but Arsenal were no saints either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I thought wud never say this but if u want impartial commentary , we should watch RTE.

SKY is a disaster on every level from commetator>presenter>pundits>Shreeves.

PHB wrote:

TBH it was marginal. Unless the linesman had slow motion replay he wouldn't have been able to tell.

Eboue went to sleep for it and Eto'o capitalised.

gandalf wrote:
    What galls me is the pathetic joy from mainly Man United fans here, you are absolutely pathetic !!!!!

Some people make me laugh, u can't tell me some Arsenal fans would not be on here doing the same in the opposite situation, its rivalry. u don't like to see your rival teams win...

PHB wrote:

Yep, his head and chest were ahead of the last defender so he was offside. That said those decisions go either way all the time, the linesman didn't flag and the goal stood. Harsh, yeah. Barca having their goal taken from them in the first half was just as bad a decision.

edit - After looking at it again he possibly wasn't, but as Gandalf said it's marginal and in real time calling those is very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

gandalf wrote:
    Right the thing is I do not grudge Barca the win, I would have preferred if the Ref has some f***in common sense played the advantage, allowed the Barca goal (which it clearly was), yellow carded Lehmann and allowed us to see what was shaping up to be a great game 11 vs 11. The ref was sub standard and shouldn't even ref a Sunday League game (and yes that included Eboues dodgy free kick, the only thing that he gave Arsenals way in that game!)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement