Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Student Accommodation

Options
  • 16-05-2006 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I will be starting first year Accounting in GMIT next year, and am looking for accommodation. However, most of my friends are attending NUIG. So, i am wondering, where could i find someplace that accomodates both GMIT and NUIG students, around equal distance from both colleges? And how far approx are both from the city centre?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I was in the same situation as you when I moved to Galway, I was in GMIT, whilst my friends were in NUIG. We lived in Prospect Hill, which was about 2 miles from both colleges. GMIT is about 2.5 miles from the city centre, NUIG about a mile. If you are prepared to get on your rothar and cycle, then you can reach GMIT in about 15 minutes from town. There is no place that is exactly ideal for both, however the city centre, prospect hill, the docks, lower Tuam road, are fairly convenient to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

best idea is to buy a bike and get somewhere close to the IT imo, no point in puttin yourself out. Unless of course you and all your mates are gettin the house together. if thats the case ironman pretty much covered everything.

one point though the buses are well ****e rarely on time and sometimes don't come at all so if your thinkin they'll take you everywhere you need to go your very much mistaken. sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Get a place close to the IT... You'll regret getting a place 2 miles away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

JohnCleary wrote:
    Get a place close to the IT... You'll regret getting a place 2 miles away

I agree, you'll make mates in your own class anyway. I wouldn't recommend Glasan. Gleann na ri is alright but make sure you don't get an apt on the ground floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

stay in Glasan if u want somewhere very close to gmit, but if you want your deposit to get raped at the end of the year, and have to pay 5 euro everytime you do not leave out your bin for a service you already paid for...
    The Glasan Management is an absolute joke. Stay well clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Get a house or flat. If you can get somewhere around Well park or Mongeisha that would be about half way between the two colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If you had a bike, anywhere close to town would be alright for GMIT. I wouldn't rely on buses for transport. Never show on time plus very expensive.

J22, Well park area is nowhere near half way between NUIG and GMIT..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

My advice would be to go for Glasan. Its basic enough accommodation but it is so near. Nothing like getting up at 8.59 and still being on time for a nine o'clock lecture. They might screw ya around a bit with your deposit at the end of the year. But if you fill up the inventory at the start of the year and everything thats wrong, you should be ok.

Gleann na Ri has nice apartments etc. but it is a **** of a walk to the college on a wet morning. (Shouldnt bother u much in 1st year though:D )

If you want to get a place with your mates from NUIG, then WellPark would be a reasonable compromise but they would probably need a bike. Its a bit of a walk to the uni from Well Park. Its a bit of a walk to GMIT too.However, the retail park out there makes it a nice place to live where you have a cinema and you have the huntsman across the road. You have bus stops there too and the buses would be fairly regular as you can get both Ballybane & Merlin buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Anima wrote:
    If you had a bike, anywhere close to town would be alright for GMIT. I wouldn't rely on buses for transport. Never show on time plus very expensive.

J22, Well park area is nowhere near half way between NUIG and GMIT..

Wellpark is roughly half way by bike not far off.Straight up the Dublin road for GMIT.Straight down Bothar Mor to the city centre and its not 3 minutes on bike from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement