Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairing netopia router with another wifi router

Options
  • 16-05-2006 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Netgear Rangemax 240 wireless router.

I'm happy with the DSL part of the Netopia router, but the WiFi signal strength and coverage in the house leaves a lot to be desired. I plan on hooking up the Netgear WiFi router and disabling WiFi on the Netopia router.

Any suggestions how I should do this?

Netopia still needs to perform as a DSL modem, and Netgear would take over the LAN router role.

I was planning on setting up the DHCP pool on the Netopia side to one address only (Netgear router), disabling WiFi, and setting IP passthrough to the Netgear IP address. Then I let Netgear do NAT/DHCP/WiFi/firewall stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

What ur suggesting should work but some other options never hurt (until you try them)

If your looking to replace ur nettopia as ur wireless router do this:

Put the Nettopian into bridgeing mode and setup the wireless router as if it was the nettopia and ur away.
    That is if the netgear has PPPoE support which it should have

Depending on ur router this should give you a good idea the eircom ones dont look like but close enough
    http://www.netopia.com/support/technotes/hardware/CQG_020.html

If your trying to boost the signal by using two routers :-(

Nettopia doesnt support wds which would be the propper way to do this.

Linksys do do a signal booster (with mixed reports from crap to ok)

A dirty hack would be to wire the two routers together and allow your internet router to do the dhcp end of things iv never done this but it
    should work in theory id borrow a router to try it before i bought hardware but its a bit late for you on that front :-).

A:being mr internet router(Nettopia)
    B:Being the second wireless one.

If you wired router B to router A, try connecting the WAN port on B to a LAN port on A. If that doesn't work, use LAN ports on each.

Turn off DHCP on router B, so you're letting router A assign IP addresses.

Use different SSIDs and different channels (among 1, 6, and 11) for routers A and B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed (bridging)! :)

Should work, as the netgear wifi router supports PPPoE. Can't wait to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Droichead

Did the coupling up work ? I had thought of using a netgear wireless router coupled by wire to the modem/router and extending the signal to the far end of the house that way - is this the same idea ?

Advertisement