Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratches on PVC bath tub

Options
  • 16-05-2006 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just installed a new PVC bath tub. However it has been scratched by contractors doing plumbing and tiling. The lip on the tub is covered in fine scratches. Can you suggest any techniques for removing or polishing out these scratches?
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Have you taken off the layer of plastic yet.
    It is a very fine plastic coating put onto the bath during production and cannot be easily seen as an extra layer.

It may look like its not there but rub your fingers over the edge and see if it is still there.

lets us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IOConnell wrote:
    Just installed a new PVC bath tub. However it has been scratched by contractors doing plumbing and tiling. The lip on the tub is covered in fine scratches. Can you suggest any techniques for removing or polishing out these scratches?
    Cheers
    The technique I'd use would be to get the contractors who scratched it in the first place to replace it, to be honest !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IOConnell

I will check if there is a fine film of plastic on the tub, but i'm almost certain that there isn't even though I didn't remove a film earlier.
    On the other point, the contractors are adamant that they didn't scratch the tub...."it was scratched already" typ of thing. So I'll have to be more cautious in the future.
    I did hear that brasso polish is good for it. Anyone hear similar stories???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IOConnell

Karl,
    no such luck with your suggestion, there was no film of plactic on the bath.
    I heard that brasso and a polishing cloth is good for removing them. Can anyone shed light on this ??? Is it an old wives tale?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

sorry to hear that.

be carefull with any rubbing compound - it will dull the surface.

Are you sure you cannot get the culprits to replace the bath !!!

Karl.
    IOConnell wrote:
    Karl,
    no such luck with your suggestion, there was no film of plactic on the bath.
    I heard that brasso and a polishing cloth is good for removing them. Can anyone shed light on this ??? Is it an old wives tale?

• Advertisement
Advertisement