Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Following Trends

• 16-05-2006 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I tend not to follow trends i.e. i just would not buy those skinny jeans as i expected that trend to be dead in the water fairly fast. It doesnt seem to be going away but I reckon im too short for them anyway.

Im really liking the tight polka dot dresses with the belts around the waist but i dont see myself getting any wear outta one. Im quite broke ya see so im looking to buy summer clothes il actually wear.

I was in River Island there on Sunday and i was looking at white jeans which were lovely. But i didnt know wot id wear with them, all my tops seem to be white and not bright colours, i would have to buy a whole new outfit if i bought them.

I found myself veering towards my usual. The pale blue boot cut jeans with a bit of sparkle or diamonte on them and the dressy muscle type tops. Im so fed up with always wearing the same style of clothes. I am of of the opinion that if its not broke dont fix it, but i have been wearing the same style for over a year now.

I admire people with a good sence of style and who can follow trends well. I know i look trendy and well when i go out but still i would love to have an eye for fashion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

Well since it's the summer it's going to be allot easier for you to solve this. You need to create a new style. You have one right now but you would like to change.
    If moneys the problem then try buying some basic tops in cheap places like Pennys. You can then buy a main item of clothing and spice it up in different ways. It's amazing what accesories can do to an outfit.
    I'd suggest you buy those white jeans and then buy the rest later on when you have saved up. When I see something I love - I buy it regaurdless of what I have at home.

Style to me is my personality shown through my clothes. You always feel great when you're wearing great clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

the trend is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I dunno why people bother following trends, i just (try) to wear clothes that suit me, i keep seeing people in skinny jeans that really don't fit/suit them.

On a side note i'm so annoyed polka dots are in cos i love them and have a million things with dots and now i'm inadvertantly cool.
    I'll be glad when this whole dot thing blows over....

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Get the white jeans as you can dress them up or down. As suggested get some vest tops in Pennys or No Name - lemon, lilac, red etc would be lovely with white and you could get some fancier tops like halter necks and dress them up. I never buy expensive accessories and people are always admiring my accessories and when I say I get them in Pennys they won’t believe me. Also I’m not tall either and find leggings really comfortable and so cute when worn with dress-style tops. Also the cropped jeans are nice too and worn with pumps for casual and wedges to dress up. They have tonnes of styles of both in Dunnes at the moment. As for following trends just go with the ones that suit your shape and cashflow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I don't really follow trends at all. I buy what I like and what suits me. Having said that, I'm so happy dresses are back cos I love dresses and they used to be so expensive, even daytime dresses.

Awear has some great dress atm, some for only €35. I've my eye on one that I want to get, it's the type of thing you could wear with pretty ballet flats during that day or dress up with heels and some nice beads at nighttime. Rhinestones are great for that type of jewellery, it's always good quality and some of their stuff is cheaper than Monsoon or Oasis!

If you want something new, I'd definitely suggest a nice flared skirt that you could wear differently, according to the time of day and event. I saw a lovely linen one in awear for about €40 in black or white. It might be less of a drastic change than a dress. Or if you don't like skirts/dresses, a pair of well-cut wide leg trousers. But skirts and dress tend to get a greater reaction, from both guys and girls, so if you're looking for a new look, that's my suggestion.

I actually wouldn't advise you to get the white jeans if you're not confident in them. Yu're much better off imo to get something you feel comfortable in, as you'll wear it more and look better in it.

You could also make an appointment for a personal shopper in topshop or debenhams. IIRC there's no compulsion to buy, and you can advise them of your budget and what you're looking for, and then they'll make suggestions tailored to your figure and colouring. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Get the white jeans, I'm sure they're fab!!
    I love the whole nautical look this season, so navy stripes and red stripes I love. As mentioned above, go to Penneys for some great cheap tops. I saw some gorgeous striped vests in loads of different colours including the nautical colours and they were 3 euro each!! I mean you could buy an entire summer wardrobe in there for less than 100 quid!

I bought a holiday outfit recently entirely from Dunnes, loads of people coming in and out of the dressing room commented on how fab it looked. I got a pair of fitted, knee length beige shorts which were priced 25 euro, when I got to the till they were actually 12 euro! ( I love it when that happens!!) Then I got a simple white vest top which I think was a fiver and a pair of black rope wedges with a ribbon tie for 15 euro so an entire very cute outfit for a little over 30 euro. I'd seen Gwyneth Paltrow wear something similar a while back and so put the outfit together and I love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

white jeans seem to be in this season cos of liz hurley...
    id stay clear...
    saw this girl in town with them on.
    my fella quicly pointed out that she has a black thong on with them...
    im such a clean freak that if they got dirty id go mental... hence i never wear white.

never did the skinny jeans...used to follow trends but dont now.
    i think you grow outta it as you get older..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Following trends just means that you look like everyone else walking down the street...

I'm probably a bit boring, but i think it's best to find two or three colours you like and that suit you, and build up the basics in these - trousers, skirts, tops. Stuff that you can mix and match. Then you don't always have to go buying loads of shoes as well. As far as the white jeans go... it's a personal preference. If you're prepared to build up stuff to go with them (and of course you're confident that the world can't see your knickers through them) and you think you'll get at least a few months wear out of them then you probably should just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Following trends means never being able to buy what's on sale.

It's a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Some people follow trends and wear clothes that clearly dont suit them, but they cant see this. If it looks good on you, wear it, if not dont(even if its the latest thing.)

I saw some yoke outside the Submarine bar in Crumlin a couple of weeks ago, its was like the 80's vomited on her. Legging, layers of mismatching clothes and polka dots, the girl clearly didnt realise that she looked a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭mcoolmcool

I hate following trends,

this whole 80's thing is getting onmy nut, I mean with the leggings and the stupid layers!

And whats the deal with the mullet haircut girls are getting lately!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Dudett

I never follow trends... I create them!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I hate following trends too. I never have, and never will, in my life, own a pair of skinny fit jeans, or Ugg boots or anything else.

Get the white jeans if you feel REALLY comfortable and wear them regularly. Otherwise, don't bother.

Advertisement