Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did your throttle ever snap??

• 16-05-2006 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Yesterday..in the middle of overtaking someone...my ****ing throttle snapped.
    The bastard.

I think i pulled too hard, too quick..on the throttle , and it made a clicking noise..and then the bike came to a slow halt...as i was on the right side of the road overtaking...

wtf like????????????????????
    did this ever happen to anyone??
    very dangerous indeed...it was

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Never happened to me but it can happen like any cable I suppose! I once had a cage die on me in similar circumstances and that was unnverving enough, the bike would cause brown pants syndrome I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

i was driving from limerick to dublin, nearer to limerick,
    late on a sunday , throttled out of a roundabout when it snapped
    on a ar125
    only way to get it home was to wrap the cable around my finger and pull
    took about an hour to get through dublin due to light changes and cutting out , was ment to be in dublin around 10-11 didnt get home till 3am
    all the garages were shut ,never forget it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Did you not get any prior warning? For example, stiff/sticking throttle etc. Unless the swage on either end of the throttle failed, I would have thought you would have noticed something before the cable snapped.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Afrosticks

yeah you are right come to think of it..
    for the last few weeks...when i pull the throttle back...it stays back all stiff...even if i take my hand away.
    And if i touch it forward ..it would be grand again.
    Damn i sometimes surprise myself with my stupidity.

thanks for your replies heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

ever oil the cable?

• Advertisement

nope.
    don't see how i could either

tell

What bike do you ride? My throttle cable goes under the tank - hard to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

hasn't happened to but it did happen to a buddy and he just fixed it and when his clutch cable snapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afrosticks wrote:
    nope.

tell

Open the handlebar assembly. Remove the cable from the throttle mechanism. Slowly drip oil in to the cable sleeve, working the cable up and down manually to help the oil enter the sleeve. Use a light oil (3-in-1 or similar). Don't forget you have to use enough oil for it to penetrate the full length of the cable. Reassemble everything. It's all fairly straightforward.

If you don't feel up to doing this, ask for it to be done when getting your next service.

You should do the same with the clutch cable on a regular basis..

TBH, you should have a spare throttle cable and clutch cable in your 'spares kit'. You do have a 'spares kit', don't you?

Not your ornery onager

Not one with spare throttle cables..no.
    I drive a honda shadow 600 by the way.

I didn't know about any of this stuff..and i've been driving for 3 years :/
    All this info is very much appreciated. thanks.

i'm the type that when something goes wrong..i just get it serviced..as i'm not an expert. But i will have a look now..as i didn't realise any of this.
    The bike has been grand all along...but now all these problems are popping up.
    I will definitely look into getting a spare cable aswell as a new one..and a clutch cable too.

Goddamnit..i knew i should have got that Jeep instead.
    Ok..ok..i didn't mean that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

just remember you'll get charged for driving over the traffic in the jeep less charges for driving around on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ANTO D10 DUB

Afrosticks wrote:
    nope.

tell
    there's a handy tool for this , work's like a grease gun .
    i picked one up in mountjoy motorcycles ,the hydralic one is what i have
    http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?type=tool&flag=19

savage
    thanks for the link Anto..quite handy

Advertisement