Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Refund

Options
  • 16-05-2006 12:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

Hi, i bought a laptop for nearly €4k off dell last summer, its been giving me trouble since around january.

Anyway ive had the cpu, gpu and motherboard replaced by them, the problem is still there so its obviously a very big problem.
    I told dell that i wanted a full refund last week and they said they had to send my case over to some special department and get back to me, shouldnt of taken more than 3-4 days.

So i rang them today ( 7 days later ), and they tell that they will not give me a refund and also will not give store credit to the value of the original product. They want to give me a laptop that is the same spec as the one i got last summer. However the same spec now would be only worth around €2,500.

Thinking of taking to the small claims court for the value of the original pc, just wondering where do i stand legally?
    Do i have a good enough case to take them to court?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I dont think that matters. You should just accept the replacement. If the lap was working and you sold it tomorrow u would get less then 2500

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

i paid €4k for a working laptop, i want a working laptop worth €4k right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

He spent about a month without a fully working laptop and then goin through **** like ill call ya in 3 or 4 days and then never call! he's entitled to some compensation methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

KamiKazi wrote:
    So i rang them today ( 7 days later ), and they tell that they will not give me a refund and also will not give store credit to the value of the original product. They want to give me a laptop that is the same spec as the one i got last summer. However the same spec now would be only worth around €2,500.

Just take the laptop man, it's no big deal.

Edit: Sorry didn't realise you didn't have it for a month or so, might be worthshile pursuing it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

maybe some but not a full refund

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

KamiKazi wrote:
    They want to give me a laptop that is the same spec as the one i got last summer. However the same spec now would be only worth around €2,500.
    You bought a Laptop, it developed a fault within the guarantee period and they are offering to replace it.
    Unless you have anything with 'money back guarantee' on it, you probably don't have a leg to stand on.

(btw, what kind of a laptop could possibly be worth €4k?)

Gurgle wrote:
    (btw, what kind of a laptop could possibly be worth €4k?)
    a sexy laptop:p :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

KamiKazi wrote:
    Hi, i bought a laptop for nearly €4k off dell last summer,

So around what, 10 months ago?
    KamiKazi wrote:
    its been giving me trouble since around january.

So you should still be within 12 months warranty? Or isn't there one with DELL (I seem to vaguely recall something about 90 days :confused: )
    KamiKazi wrote:
    Anyway ive had the cpu, gpu and motherboard replaced by them, the problem is still there so its obviously a very big problem.

That weighs in your favour, sounds like the goods were not of merchantable quality to begin with. I'm open to correction on that one, since you've had 5 or 6 months' use trouble-free...
    KamiKazi wrote:
    I told dell that i wanted a full refund last week etc
    They want to give me a laptop that is the same spec as the one i got last summer. However the same spec now would be only worth around €2,500.

And that sounds fair enough, tbh. You have to realise that lappies depreciate faster than cars (another reason not to buy a lappie if it's mostly for 'desktop' use), and that's pretty much that.

On account of the fiffing-&-faffing from the other isde, I'd take the replacement and push for a 12 month warranty from delivery date of the replacement... But if you're going SCC, my €s are on Dell I'm afraid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I thought retailers were only obliged to give you (in this order):
    Repair
    Replacement
    Refund

1 doesn't seem to have worked and now Dell wants option 2 - seems perfectly legal to me.

Could maybe get a freebie from Dell as compensation for the month lost though.

Relevant legal provision would be Sale of Goods and Supply of Serivces Act 1980

*edit: oops didn't realise you didn't put a disclaimer on your post - mods might ban you! Please read the charter, no-one here can give legal advice and you should say that you will not take any advice given here as legal advice (just so that you don't sue anyone here :D )

thanks for that, just wanted to know where i stand

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ordinarily, I'd have to ban everyone in this thread for seeking/giving legal advice (except Thirdfox who has a disclaimer in his signature). However, because it has to do with consumer protection law, and information on that is fairly readily available, and it's not easy to find a lawyer who deals in it, I'm just going to move this over to consumer issues.

I'm not even going to bother warning anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

4k?

That doesn't sound right. I'm not offering legal advice here, I'm just genuinely puzzled as to how an earth you managed to spend 4k on a laptop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I think if you max all the options on the Gaming laptop the cost will be around €6000... (but you're getting one hell of a package there... 21" extra moniter thrown in etc etc. :D )

Advertisement