Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Madness

Options
  • 16-05-2006 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Anyone read the story on the front page of the star?

http://www.thestar.ie/index.php

I haven't read it but i can only imagine he was speeding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow, that's one hell of a sh1t website they've got.

Anyways, is this the guy from Portlaoise where he ended up in a tree and on fire, while the guy in the other car crashed into a ditch and survived? Rumour has it they were racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Stephen wrote:
    Wow, that's one hell of a sh1t website they've got.

Anyways, is this the guy from Portlaoise where he ended up in a tree and on fire, while the guy in the other car crashed into a ditch and survived? Rumour has it they were racing.

he was driving 5 days . 5 like

he could be the perfect use for any company that wanted to show how bad male drivers are . thers no way he wasnt speading . im not sure of the exact road but i have a ida and think he may of lost controle of the car before the crash due to a bad bump in the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Not to tar all with one brush, but the only cars I see driven around with monstrous sized alloys are boy racers... and that Accent has big alloys, I wonder if they were the correct offset/fitment??
    Still, another life lost on the roads whatever way it happened.
    Did he get his prov or full licence last week??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm 28, and I've 18" Alloys under my MINI, am I a boy racer too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Newspaper notes he was a learner driver, so I guess it was his provisional. So now ask the question would this have happened if he was accompanied by a licensed driver? Plus the fact if he only had a license five days had he had any lessons? Tragic accident, but so easily preventable.

• Advertisement

Did you go to a sh1t shop to get them fitted, do they stick out from beneath the wheel arches?? Are they the wrong fitment, like so many 206 I see- if so then yes.
    *I have 2 300zx twin turbos and a 911 - am i a boy racer??????
    You miss my point, Accents arent the most ppular car, and big alloys difficult to come by in the proper fitment, if they didnt fit, or were a non standard size then the car can tramline and handle sh1te.... maybe it contributed...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

what difference would the licensed driver have made in this case? there are plenty of full license holders who are just as stupid on the road.

Just because a passenger has a full license does not mean that they are a responsible member of society. There is a big flaw in the irish licensing system, in my opinion provisional license holders should only be on public roads supervised by properly regulated instructors. Nobody else.

If I am legless drunk and call my 17 year old provisional licensed brother to drive my car home from the pub with me in the passenger seat, am I capable of supervising his driving?

The provisional license system was introduced to give learner drivers the opportunity to drive on public roads for the purposes of instruction not as a loop hole to get on the road which it has become.

Agree with Whippet there, many full licence holders are idiots.
    But look at the facts, 5 days on the road.. no matter what way you cut it, it looks pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I feel sorry for this guys parents ...

Having said that ...many moons ago, when on my first car, I think my parents would have confiscated it from right under me, had I shown the first signs of doing it up in a "racey" kind of way.

Of course doing it up doesn't say it all about your driving style ...but it sure could be an indication of a driver leaning towards ...shall we say ..."overconfidence" rather than safety and being sensible.

Don't get me wrong ...I did some silly things even in a crappy Renault 4 ...but had my parents enabled me to get something "faster" ...I wouldn't be annoying ye with these lines today :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

whippet wrote:
    The provisional license system was introduced to give learner drivers the opportunity to drive on public roads for the purposes of instruction not as a loop hole to get on the road which it has become.
    When people get a full licence do they suddenly stop racing crap cars on crap roads? No - they'll do whatever they want anyway. A pink licence doesn't make you smarter. Effectively what people need is a maturity test not a driving test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement