Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick O Brian series

Options
  • 16-05-2006 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Well I've finally come to the last book of the 20 in the Jack Aubrey series and I don't think I've ever felt so sad to be coming to the end of a book / series.
    After 20 books I really feel like I know each character intimately, I also have accumulated a wealth of historical and naval trivia along the way.

One of the first books I ever read was a Ladybird book on ships and I was fascinated by the pictures of Men of War in battle, 30 odd years later and that fascination is still with me. The detail and accuracy that is involved in these books is phenomenal, the Times quite correctly describes him as the "greatest historical novelist". There are so many facets to this series it's truly amazing, from the history of the napoleonic wars, the origins of many english phrases in use today, the morality of the 19th century, the imperialist attitudes of the military and politicians of the day, an amazing wealth of orinthological information (most of which went over my head), (then) current medical thinking, naval strategy, tactics, discipline and motives. It's not often one gets the opportunity to learn so much...and still enjoy it !

I'm really going to miss Jack Aubrey's awful puns, Maturins clever "asides", the complex sexual antics of them both, open air amputations, the thrill of the chase, the heat of battle and the smell of powder. After a lifetime of
    Sci-fi / fantasy it was so refreshing to find heroes as human as myself.

For anyone with the least interest in matters historical or naval these are a must read, the most beautifully written books and have given me so many hours of pleasure.

Anyone else feel the same way ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've yet to try one. Any recommendations as to which to pick up first?

Of course if you're into the whole seafaring thing there's a few dozen Clive Cusslers to read... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've yet to try one. Any recommendations as to which to pick up first?

Of course if you're into the whole seafaring thing there's a few dozen Clive Cusslers to read... ;)

It doesnt really matter which one you dip into because they are all very entertaining books.

I began on the Nutmeg of Consulation or the Fortune of War, cant remember which, since its so long ago, but I was hooked from the beginning. Its funny but Ive been putting off reading the last two or three books in the series for about a year now, because two major characters die at the end.

I guess that was his genius, making characters that are so vivid you almost know them.

Clive Cussler comes within range

"Let fly!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

start at the begining, otherwise you miss out on a lot of the "running" stories and don't appreciate the character development so much, the overall plot is very linear although each book is a tale in its own right.

clive cussler , him of the antartic nazis ? never again, worse than dan brown.

Advertisement