Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to plant hedge beside a low wall

Options
  • 16-05-2006 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a low concrete wall along the side of my house which is then beside a fairly busy road. I want to plant a hedge along the length of to the wall to improve privacy. I am looking for pointers on what type of hedge to get, ideally it should be fairly thick and stay green all your round. I would like to buy the bushes as mature as possible, anyone know what type of bush I should go for, also how far apart they need to be planted to give good coverage (i.e. overlap).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

If you're not in a hurry, Yew will give you a great looking hedge and lots of privacy. Privit is a bit quicker and will take a fair bit of abuse. Leylandi is your instant conifer hedge, but they grow far too fast and are a magnet to dirt. For a thick hedge you'd want to stagger your planting, but distance will depend on type of tree and age(take advice from your garden centre).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pnh

Leylandi would fit the bill but it grows quickly and after it reaches your desired height say 10 feet you have to be disciplined enought to trim and cut it twice a year usually Apr/May and then early Autumn .It can look well if you do this each year-but leave it to its own devices and it goes mad and looks awful.With the others you need patience

Advertisement