Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Duty and Renting Stamp Duty Claw Back

Options
  • 16-05-2006 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I've heard of it and I've been wondering what the story is with it - I've heard a few different things - but someone told me the clawback was for the proportion of the 5 years that you rented it - do you know if that's the case or am I being way over-optimistic!!!
    I'm in my place about 4 1/2 years, so if they were to clawback the lot for the sake of six months it would be a big loss and I'd be better off waiting till the 5 yrs was up....

What do you guys recokon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

There's no mention of it being on payable on a pro-rata basis that you suggest on www.oasis.gov.ie

Enquire with the revenue commisioners is probbaly the best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Psygnosis wrote:
    I've heard of it and I've been wondering what the story is with it - I've heard a few different things - but someone told me the clawback was for the proportion of the 5 years that you rented it - do you know if that's the case or am I being way over-optimistic!!!
    I'm in my place about 4 1/2 years, so if they were to clawback the lot for the sake of six months it would be a big loss and I'd be better off waiting till the 5 yrs was up....

What do you guys recokon

I think it is CGT that is calculated on a pro-rata basis in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

My understanding is they claw the whole lot back as the deal is you live in it for 5 years not close to. There are cut off points and 5 be the number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

revenue.ie is the place to go:

http://www.revenue.ie/revguide/stampduty.htm

It seems pretty clear to me that if you rent any time within the first five years (other than rent a room) then you are subject to the full clawback. Ouch - wait the six months.

Advertisement