Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths

Options
  • 16-05-2006 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Anyone here doing it? What questions are you doing?

Im doin:
    1,2,3,4,5 and 10

But it all depends on the day really. I have 9 and 7 to fall back on if there are some nightmare questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I have them all studied, I'll do whatever is easiest on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

how do you find it as a subject? I find it fairly handy but they can throw up some bitches of questions the odd time:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

you get about 40/50 marks for the basic App Maths stuff though, so it's not the end of the world if you don't manage to complete the sometimes annoyingly complex trigonometry which tends to come up of at the end of part (b)s

It's actually a really fair subject. The paper stays to the same layout every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Wish I was doing this. I'm doing higher maths physics and accounting and I'm hoping for an A1 in all three. Is it harder than pure maths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

NADA wrote:
    Wish I was doing this. I'm doing higher maths physics and accounting and I'm hoping for an A1 in all three. Is it harder than pure maths?

Yeah, much harder, but I find it easy, reallll easy :D

It's harder at first but gets easier. There's no comparison between applied maths and physics, the maths in physics is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Lord Oz wrote:
    It's harder at first but gets easier. There's no comparison between applied maths and physics, the maths in physics is a joke.

True?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

NADA wrote:
    True?
    True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't think it's harder than pure maths, have a good understanding of trigonometry and algebra and get used to resolving vectors and you're sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I reckon it's significantly easier than Honours Maths. Occasionally the endings of questions are horrible, but to get your basic 40 out of 50 per question you basically just have to learn off a method. Maybe the concepts/questions are harder, but getting marks is certainly easier.

I'm doing questions 8, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 10 (in that order, probably). With 1 and 2 as backups.

Anyone else just leaving Applied Maths study to the week and a half (the week and a half that I have, at least) between it and the second last exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

Im doing Q1,2,3,4,5 and 10......no back ups:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 niamhy101

I'm doing 10,8,6,4,5,3 in that order with 1 and 2 as backups, its not that hard once you get used to the subject, and you get marks for just getting what the question is asking, and putting down a general answer that could do for alot of qs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

my friends are doing this subject and apparently it is going to be marked really easily this year because last year there was a big drop in the number of A's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

1,2,3,4,5,6,10 and my best six to be marked. what is ye'er least favourite question? SHM can be vicious.

ah now SHMs a doddle, they're pretty much all the same! i love that q! that and Q8 and Q10 are defo the easiest on the paper! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

1,2,3,4,5,10 with 8 for backup. We didnt do 7 or 9.

niamhy101 wrote:
    ah now SHMs a doddle, they're pretty much all the same! i love that q! that and Q8 and Q10 are defo the easiest on the paper! :)

Arrrghhghg!!! How could you say that! What about projectiles or Connected Particles or Linear Motion? On the other hand, you may just have a teacher that understands SHM and calculus.......ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

my friends are doing this subject and apparently it is going to be marked really easily this year because last year there was a big drop in the number of A's.

And you know this how? Perhaps your friends have links in the examinations office in Athlone! Its never marked too badly anyway, the pullys & weights question usually has 40 marks going for drawing the forces and giving the correct equations

Connected Particles is a beaut of a question, but Moments of Inertia is my favourite. 20 marks for just writing out one of 3 theorems! Great one to start with. I have 9 days off now until Applied Maths so I'm gonna make sure I fully understand everything between now and then just in case they throw a few curveballs like in maths. If I don't get an A1 in this, I will not be amused!

My teacher is the Chief Advising Examiner or something, though, so hopefully I'll get a few tips :D

• Advertisement

My teacher is the Chief Advising Examiner or something, though, so hopefully I'll get a few tips :D

Well if you do get some tips do lash 'em down here. But I suppose that would negate your advantage :(

Zoodlebop wrote:
    Well if you do get some tips do lash 'em down here. But I suppose that would negate your advantage :(

Don't worry, I certainly will not get any tips. He's very secretive about the whole thing - we only know his position because other teachers in the school told us. We have a class on the morning of the exam though so maybe he'll accidentally leave a few papers around or something. ;)*

*Even though he most certainly won't :(

Zoodlebop wrote:
    Arrrghhghg!!! How could you say that! What about projectiles or Connected Particles or Linear Motion? On the other hand, you may just have a teacher that understands SHM and calculus.......ah well.

They're pretty nice too!! TBH, my teacher gave us a really good over all knowledge so hopefully i can get through on that!! Projectiles is a doddle but Linear Motion can be a b*tch sometimes!! just little tricks, specially if you look at the older papers, my teacher has us doing papers from the 1980s - before i was born!! bit insane!!!

Advertisement