Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Civic Type-r

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Are you serious. IMO for a N/A engine thats very good.

Thats the same as the Golf GTi and the GTi has a turbo.

Think about adding a turbo to the 'R and watch her move.

The new Civic's are i-VTEC engines, great piece of engineering.

MPG should be far better than any other hot hatch out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

200 bhp is plenty on a small fwd hatchback. Torque & MPG are more important day-to-day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the new civic looks disgusting.and 200bhp,:confused: .
    i would prefer a new shape integra type r or even a gti or of course the opc.
    200bhp seems really scabby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

That car looks like it has been crashed head on. Its ugly.

Get a grip will ya all you conservative types.

200bhp from a N/A engine K20A I-VTEC engine is cracking.

No other similiar car can produce that power output with a urbo or supercharger attached.

If you see the Civic if person it looks alot better than on the website.

Give me the 1.8 Civic Black with Cream Leather any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i like the look of the car actually, i think its perfect aside from that dam 80's piece of sh!t-plastic spoilerish thing. looks AWFUL.

200bhp is pleanty for fwd cars, as tiff himself said 200 is the sweet spot for a small fwd car anything more and its torque steer - population you. also very impressive considering the lack of a turbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

drdre wrote:
    200bhp seems really scabby

That's what I was thinking.... they could have given it a more powerfull engine to give it a bit more of a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Didn't the outgoing Civic Type R have 225bhp or is it the Integra?

steve06 wrote:
    That's what I was thinking.... they could have given it a more powerfull engine to give it a bit more of a kick.

yeah and also the shape looks weird.i still love the new integra shape and its got more bhp over 220bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Isn't the engine exactly the same as was in the outgoing type-R since 2001? :confused:

As others said, very impressive for N/A and about the max most FWD cars can handle. Mind, both max power and max torque are only reached at very high rpm. Great on a racing circuit, but pretty useless in day to day driving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Awww lads the new civic is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen on the road. there manky. Granted Im a bike rider, which means I'd piss most cars off the road anywyas lol. but the new civic is cat looking. Import an ould mustang for yourselfs.

bazz26 wrote:
    Didn't the outgoing Civic Type R have 225bhp or is it the Integra?

Thats the DC5 2L i-VTEC

kluivert wrote:
    Thats the DC5 2L i-VTEC
    i love the dc5, i seen a lovely one in sandyford with carbon fibre exterior.and white body colour:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Jeez, some people are never happy.

200PS or 197 BHP is the output power from the 8th Gen Civic Type-R. No matter what you think from an NA engine that is impressive. The GTI only achieves that with a turbo. What most people don't understand is that the Type-R is about the driving experience - not max power. Therefore power to weight, response, balance etc all come to the fore.

The DC5 Integra, yes has more power than the Civic Type-R but is also a heavier car and need this. Really what are you going to do with 240BHP at the front wheels of the Civic? Not a whole lot with control that's for sure.

Another key advantage with the iVTEC engine is that it isn't actually lumbered with a turbo. Honda haven't been keen on turbos for petrol due to lag and heavy fuel consumption as such they focused on delivering more power through RPM than force. I mean if you really want Turbo buy a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Was thinking o buying a 02 - 03 Type R, anything I should be .. wary of ?
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

unkel wrote:
    Isn't the engine exactly the same as was in the outgoing type-R since 2001? :confused:

As others said, very impressive for N/A and about the max most FWD cars can handle. Mind, both max power and max torque are only reached at very high rpm. Great on a racing circuit, but pretty useless in day to day driving

No they changed engines when they ruined the sleek and sexy look of the civic in 2002 with that pug ugly monstrosity that lasted till 2005. 2006 has the same engine but now they have brought back the type-r.

True on the torque, mine only hits it's power band at about 4,500 rpm and then shoots to 7k (and then further down the red line). But what makes a civic quick and reliable is the weight it has, there it's light so it works out.

However put one passenger in there and you'll notice a huge difference in your acceleration.
    jayok wrote:
    Jeez, some people are never happy.
    The DC5 Integra, yes has more power than the Civic Type-R but is also a heavier car and need this. Really what are you going to do with 240BHP at the front wheels of the Civic? Not a whole lot with control that's for sure.

One of my mates have done this and he has an LSD, which you most sorely need. Without it the car is all over the road. Other then that being in it as both passenger & driver it took a little getting used to. However once I settled in it became quite a nice driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

i would prefer the new Audi S3 coming out the end of this year

same 2.0 turbo engine as the golf gti but tuned to 270bhp (this is the latest figure being mentioned - seems high for a 2.0 litre)

Permanent 4wd
    Civic -type R beater.

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/audis3spiedmar06/

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

yeah and it will cost 3 bizillion yoyo when VRT man get his hands on it;)

layke wrote:
    No they changed engines when they ruined the sleek and sexy look of the civic in 2002 with that pug ugly monstrosity that lasted till 2005. 2006 has the same engine but now they have brought back the type-r.

Well there's a BIG difference between the D16A in the 6th gen Type-R and the K20 in 7th Gen. So I wouldn't even try to compare. Yes the 6th Gen 1.6 put out 185 BHP but you need to push this to 8,000 RPM before anything really started. It was also as safe as driving around in a crisp bag. Wouldn't recommend anyone buy one!

One of my mates have done this and he has an LSD, which you most sorely need. Without it the car is all over the road. Other then that being in it as both passenger & driver it took a little getting used to. However once I settled in it became quite a nice driving experience.

In a 7th Gen CTR? Wasn't aware LSD was available.
    Mc-BigE wrote:
    same 2.0 turbo engine as the golf gti but tuned to 270bhp (this is the latest figure being mentioned - seems high for a 2.0 litre)

Permanent 4wd
    Civic -type R beater.

Yawn - another overpriced, underspec'd German barge (aka the mid-life crises 05 Golf GTI that is becoming as common as muck at the mo). As an overweight car with the 4WD sapping power it'll need that 270 BHP just to get off the lights. Only Audi's to impress me is the RS stuff. Civic Type-R beater - maybe but they aren't really in competition. Probably better compared to a Imprezza - actually that's an insult to the Imprezza :)

jayok wrote:
    Yawn - another overpriced, underspec'd German barge (aka the mid-life crises 05 Golf GTI that is becoming as common as muck at the mo). As an overweight car with the 4WD sapping power it'll need that 270 BHP just to get off the lights. Only Audi's to impress me is the RS stuff. Civic Type-R beater - maybe but they aren't really in competition. Probably better compared to a Imprezza - actually that's an insult to the Imprezza :)

Overpriced- definitely but the civic r won't be cheap! (But it will feel it:D )
    Underspec'd- disagree with you there, should have all the goodies the civic will have.

Have you ever driven a Quattro? I know what car I’d prefer in a corner:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

jayok wrote:
    Well there's a BIG difference between the D16A in the 6th gen Type-R and the K20 in 7th Gen. So I wouldn't even try to compare. Yes the 6th Gen 1.6 put out 185 BHP but you need to push this to 8,000 RPM before anything really started. It was also as safe as driving around in a crisp bag. Wouldn't recommend anyone buy one!

In a 7th Gen CTR? Wasn't aware LSD was available.

and unlike all German cars... the civic will work all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

jayok wrote:

You clearly haven't driven the GTI, a barge it ain't.

I can't believe you have the balls to come on and slate a car like the S3. It came with full leather Recaros, climate, 18s and 225bhp in the latter models all back 5 years ago in 2001.

So how you can assume the new model will be underspecced I do not know. :confused:

I might point out as a GTI owner that it has more torque than the new Type R and a lot of that is produced a LOT earlier than the Civic will do. :D

After 18,000 kms, my front tyres at €240 a corner are gone, I dunno how/why manufacturers are putting much more than 220 bhp ish into FWD hatches as it just ruins them.

Big Balls wrote:
    You clearly haven't driven the GTI, a barge it ain't.

Actually I have and it's all about the experience. The GTI is a wonderful car, nice with good low end torque, but it just doesn't handle or give you the thrill of like a Type-R. I am sorry, but it just doesn't. The GTI is about giving you comforts (leather seats, cruise, etc) and the poke. The Type-R is about the driving. *IF* I wanted a straight line car for motor way cruising then yes, I'd look at a GTI. Around town, twisty bends it just doesn't feel as sure-footed. Now the Type-R is noisy, rev's to high-heaven, minimal spec (no a/c as standard) but handles like a train on rails and when push the VTEC really lets you feel alive. I just done see the same thrill from the GTI. The Type-R is a drivers car the GTI is a family car with a good bit of poke. Hence its proving popular with thirtysomethings (can get insurance and kids in)
    I can't believe you have the balls to come on and slate a car like the S3. It came with full leather Recaros, climate, 18s and 225bhp in the latter models all back 5 years ago in 2001.

So how you can assume the new model will be underspecced I do not know. :confused:
    As I said the S3 just isn't special enough to warrant it. I am NOT comparing this to a Type-R as they just are in the same class (S3 is higher).

Re the new model - it's to keep the base cost down.
    I might point out as a GTI owner that it has more torque than the new Type R and a lot of that is produced a LOT earlier than the Civic will do. :D

After 18,000 kms, my front tyres at €240 a corner are gone, I dunno how/why manufacturers are putting much more than 220 bhp ish into FWD hatches as it just ruins them.

The GTI has more torque because of the use of the Turbo. This is great for boosting low end torque but comes at the cost of rev limits, weight, and fuel consumption. Again it's about experience - if I wanted low end torque I'd buy a diesel. The "R" in Type-R is for Racing this is what you are buying.

I supposed what I am really trying to say is that the GTI and Type-R server different purposes. Each to their own. If you want a comfortable daily-runner, with the good bit of lift when you need it buy a GTI. If you want the noise, and bone shaker experience and indeed thrill of driving buy a Type-R - each to their own.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've just bought a 2002 Civic Type R and I am 100% delighed with my purchase. Mine has a little work done to it so it is pushing 220BHP and believe me this is a quick car. The balance is incredible you can chuck it round corners unline any other car I've driven. Its very comfortable yet still has the racing feel. Unlike the Golf GTI which is like an arm chair with a turbo.

jayok wrote:
    Actually I have and it's all about the experience. The GTI is a wonderful car, nice with good low end torque, but it just doesn't handle or give you the thrill of like a Type-R. I am sorry, but it just doesn't. The GTI is about giving you comforts (leather seats, cruise, etc) and the poke. The Type-R is about the driving. *IF* I wanted a straight line car for motor way cruising then yes, I'd look at a GTI. Around town, twisty bends it just doesn't feel as sure-footed. Now the Type-R is noisy, rev's to high-heaven, minimal spec (no a/c as standard) but handles like a train on rails and when push the VTEC really lets you feel alive. I just done see the same thrill from the GTI. The Type-R is a drivers car the GTI is a family car with a good bit of poke. Hence its proving popular with thirtysomethings (can get insurance and kids in)

As I said the S3 just isn't special enough to warrant it. I am NOT comparing this to a Type-R as they just are in the same class (S3 is higher).

Re the new model - it's to keep the base cost down.

The GTI has more torque because of the use of the Turbo. This is great for boosting low end torque but comes at the cost of rev limits, weight, and fuel consumption. Again it's about experience - if I wanted low end torque I'd buy a diesel. The "R" in Type-R is for Racing this is what you are buying.

I supposed what I am really trying to say is that the GTI and Type-R server different purposes. Each to their own. If you want a comfortable daily-runner, with the good bit of lift when you need it buy a GTI. If you want the noise, and bone shaker experience and indeed thrill of driving buy a Type-R - each to their own.
    All good points, I suppose I should drive a Type-R before I dismiss it, but I would imagine that needing to rev the engine hard every time you want to push it must be bad for the engine and gearbox and overtime might get frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

V-Tec engines are designed to be reved hard, you aint doing anything to it, that it wasn't intended to do.. just make sure and keep oil in it though..

Zascar, I'm half thinking of getting the same myself
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Mc-BigE wrote:
    All good points, I suppose I should drive a Type-R before I dismiss it, but I would imagine that needing to rev the engine hard every time you want to push it must be bad for the engine and gearbox and overtime might get frustrating.

Hence the reason we see so many Hondas breaking down on the side of the road. :rolleyes:

Mayshine wrote:
    Hence the reason we see so many Hondas breaking down on the side of the road. :rolleyes:

Yes, saw top gear a few years ago and JC was on about the reliability if VTEC engine in the S2000 that there has been very little complete engine failures in all VTEC engines in the world, is this true?

mayshine, I was mainly referring to the revving of the engine hard to get power. compared to a car that has low end torque, to me that sounds frustrating to constantly "ring the cars neck" to get all the power.

as I said I’ve never driven a vtec, but I had a 2.7 bi-turbo S4 up to a few months back (no it didn't break down!...yet) and that car revved to 7500rpm but never needed to go above 5 or 6K to get enough power to take on most.
    not a fair comparison but just comparing a high rev n/a car to a turbo car.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Yes, saw top gear a few years ago and JC was on about the reliability if VTEC engine in the S2000 that there has been very little complete engine failures in all VTEC engines in the world, is this true?

Actually there has been no warranty VTEC failures recorded by Honda!
    as I said I’ve never driven a vtec

Its just one of those things you have to do - just once ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

To be honest Mc-BigE, before I got my honda I would have said the same as you, but then I drove one, and then I bought one

Its hard to describe because every other car you have ever driven just doesn't really seem to enjoy being redlined, then you get in the honda (s2000 in my case) and the bast*rd car just keeps telling you to rev it. It enjoys it and therefore you start to enjoy it too.

Then there is that noise. Its fantastic.

It appeals to a certain type of driver (an not a lazy one, that is for sure) but if you are not that type of driver, then I would agree with you that revving it for power could be frustrating.

However if you are that type of driver then you will enjoy the purity of a normally aspirated engine, the crisp linear throttle inputs, the engineering skill in delivering that amount of power without resorting to forced induction well then you'll enjoy a vtec engine. Its why BMW M cars and Ferraris and 911 GT3s and some others are special also. Honda have managed to give you that special feeling (in terms of engine) that you usually have to pay much more for

Advertisement