Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insects

Options
  • 16-05-2006 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

has anyone else noticed that over the last week or so there are a fook load of little airbourn critters? mainly greenfly. i've never seen anything like this cycling in ireland. i'm in dublin and in the last few days during my 20minute cycle i have collected anything up to 30 greenfly stuck to my fleece.

has onyone else noticed this?

and before anyone asks, yes i have had a shower:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

yes! definitley the past few days there has been an explosion of greenflys.
    cycled home from college today to find my black top had turned green, and smushed flies all down my arms!

one flew into meh eye aswell.

it was especially bad around the botanic gardens/tolka river area.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

go any where near any park and your done for, mouth and eyes destroyed with the green feckers,

i suppose there on the earth to do something????? better than wasps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

yes it seem paticularly bad around raheny clontarf artane region!!!! i can see them out my window everywhere and when i cycle i am wearing shades now coz i dont want to lose my vision at a critical moment

• Registered Users Posts: 40 garrath

I've noticed it too, but it was a lot worse yesterday than today. I wear glasses and 4 or 5 times I had to remove a greenfly from them. I also swallowed a similar amount; they don't have much of a taste, but they have a strange texture.

A friend of mine was cycling home yesterday and one flew in his eye, which made him lose control slightly, hit the kerb and fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

yes it seem paticularly bad around raheny clontarf artane region!!!!

My route takes me through Clontarf. I've lost count of how many of the buggers I've accidently eaten and had to pick out of my eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

its the inevitable plague that has hit the northside, the soutside caused it because they knew it would cause a drop in houseprices and an opposite rise in houseprices in their homeland:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

wahlrab wrote:
    its the inevitable plague that has hit the northside, the soutside caused it because they knew it would cause a drop in houseprices and an opposite rise in houseprices in their homeland:D

You are probably right. As I was cycling in on a stolen bike and keying all the cars I passed, I did notice that there was an aura of sorts across the bay to the south. Initially I presumed it to be a gap in the clouds with the sun breaking through, but further study revealed it to be God Himself rounding up all the flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I wish that was the case, I'm travelling from Tallaght to the city centre and its really bad around crumlin. Though that said i'm on a moped but i try to keep my visor up as i hate it down. Thankfully i hate a faceful of green flies more.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

garrath wrote:
    they don't have much of a taste, but they have a strange texture.

Try them with a pinch of salt, good energy food for those hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah there are tons near the tolka, on Botanic road. It's disgusting. Have to breath through your nose and wear shades all the time.

little bollixes

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Aldi had 'sports' glasses on offer a few weeks ago with interchangable lenses including clear lenses which are brilliant for solving this problem on cloudy days. They are also useful for dust and im sure im not the only one who has problems with wind in their eyes when they are cycling really fast downhill!!!
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Mucco wrote:
    Try them with a pinch of salt, good energy food for those hills.
    Good for the protein as well on those long treks home from work!

Advertisement