Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bike...

Options
  • 16-05-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get either the Specialized Enduro Elite or the StuntJumper FSR Comp. The brain on the Enduro is the main thing Im after, and the only stuntjumper with a brain is 1,000e more than the Enduro Elite.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what to do or viable alternatives?
    Im open to anything, once it is s**t hot and is betwen 2,000 and 3,000e.

Cheers in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What kind of riding do you want the bike for? The Enduro is a very different beast to the Stumpjumper. It's a lot heavier and designed for "freeride" type riding.

None of this years Enduro models have a Brain shock. You'll only find that on their Epic models. So that narrows down your choice if you're after a specific shock.

Don't choose a bike based on a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Ive been in Cycleways looking at 06 Enduros and they all have a brain. From entry level to top end.
    Problem is that only the very top Stuntjumper has it. This would be perfect, but it's 3700e, 1000e more than Im willing to pay.
    I do mainly cross country, so the lighter stuntjumper would be good for this, but I don'y wanna have to avoid any jumps either. There is more travel on the Enduro to facilitate this.
    Im spending quite a bit, so I have to get it right first time. Ive been using a Trek 4500 till now which has served me well till now, is light, but does not hug very rough terrain and is petrified of jumps!
    Again, any advice at all is greatly appreciated::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭turbine?

reviews of the 05 enduro indicate that it is a good bike but had lost some of its enduro focus, shifting more to freeride and away from going uphill.
    the stumpy, in my opinion would be a perfect xc/trail bike for general use, and able to take in most / all of the jumps and drops one would expect on a typical mtb trail.
    I thought only the epic had a brain, but i havent seen or read anything about 06 specialized mtbs. The enduro and stumpy having them is unusual, I thought that it didnt kick in until a series of bumps set it of, releasing the rear suspension (the hard tail / softail ride thing). That wouldnt be good on a bike like the enduro, which might take one big drop, without a series of bumps to kick the brain into action? correct me if im wrong.:confused:

Ooh, you're right, the Stumpjumper Pro has a Brain shock. However it's not really necessary - the platform damping on most modern shocks takes care of bobbing on climbs very well. That extra bit on the Enduro shocks isn't a Brain though - it's an external reservoir. It works the same way as the standard shock on the Stumpjumper.

I'd recommend the SJ over the Enduro. It's a much more versatile bike. You should take them both out for a spin - Cycleways have test bikes you can try out.

Im defo thinking on the StumpJumper FSR Pro now. I like the Avid Juicy 5's. I don't need the adjustability of the 7's.
    I lifted a StumpJumper in cycle ways and it is rediculously light and thats exactly what I want. It's an M4 manipulated frame; is that carbon? It certainly doesn't feel like a metal anyway.
    The Pro is also 2300e, a saving of 400e over the Enduro Elite which I was also looking at.
    Im almost certainly going to go for the Stumpy, but between now and then, if anyone knows of other branded bikes that can compete with my Stumpy:D , be sure to let me know:cool: :):p

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Morgan wrote:
    Ooh, you're right, the Stumpjumper Pro has a Brain shock. However it's not really necessary - the platform damping on most modern shocks takes care of bobbing on climbs very well. That extra bit on the Enduro shocks isn't a Brain though - it's an external reservoir. It works the same way as the standard shock on the Stumpjumper.

Morgan, you must'nt be going up hills fast enough :)

I ride an Epic and the brian is fantastic. Climbs like a goat and no bob whatsoever. Downhill soaks up all the big bumps. Run a Terralogic on the front so the damn thing nearly rides itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Im defo thinking on the StumpJumper FSR Pro now. I like the Avid Juicy 5's. I don't need the adjustability of the 7's.
    I lifted a StumpJumper in cycle ways and it is rediculously light and thats exactly what I want. It's an M4 manipulated frame; is that carbon? It certainly doesn't feel like a metal anyway.

No M4 is alu alloy. Light but not as light as the M5 which is s-works terrority.
    Maybe its a carbon look finish ?

Morgan, you must'nt be going up hills fast enough :)

I ride an Epic and the brian is fantastic. Climbs like a goat and no bob whatsoever. Downhill soaks up all the big bumps. Run a Terralogic on the front so the damn thing nearly rides itself.

Touche.

I've ridden a few Epics and liked them. However, if I spend 2.5k on a bike I want the suspension working ALL THE TIME ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Morgan wrote:

what about last years trance 1, with the reduced price its 2500 euro

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_trance_1.html

• Advertisement

NOOOOO!!!

Ive just been onto cycleways and all StumpJumper FSR's have been sold out for the year!!!! NO MORE BEING MADE!!!!!

I don't believe it. I had my heart set on it and all. He said the only way is to get a shop that has one in stock. I feel like crying:(

He did recommend the Canondale Prophet, however. I have done no research on this bike, but he seemed really enthuastic about the Prophet, so Im gonna look into it. Does anyone have any hands on info on this bike.

Im hoping to rent a Prophet for saturday and just try it out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Mikes Bikes in Dunlaoighre sells Specialized bikes. Give him a ring, he might have something left

A fellow biker AND a jelly head... I like it... You KNOW what Im talking about:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Darkman9999

Man this forum sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A fellow biker AND a jelly head... I like it... You KNOW what Im talking about:p

;)

Man this forum sucks

Nice first post "Darkman9999". Thanks for the contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Darkman9999

Don't mention it

Advertisement