Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to cycle

Options
  • 16-05-2006 5:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of any nice spots to cycle about? I'm full of great intentions to get fit and cycle over the summer, prolly won't try but sure what harm.

Nice spots for walking would be good too.

And where can you park a bicycle in town?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's a really nice path around the marina in Blackrock/ Mahon, down Castle Road. It may be a bit far from you though. It's also a lovely walk. Down the old railway line in Blackrock is lovely too.

You can park a bike in Paul Street, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

most places are a complete pain in the arse, mostly due to the ignorant ****ers that won't move when they see you coming at them at speed. Three places I'd normally head to myself are Rochestown (walkway from Rochestown, over to Blackrock, up to the pitch and back down thru Mahon and back to Rochestown.

Passage west isnt bad, short though. Carrigaline to Crosshaven walkway isnt bad either. Those two probably only if you have a car though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

\o/ for havin the mammy's car then! now i jsut need appropriate weather

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

The path along the Lee out by the county hall is nice for a walk or a run, its a little short for cycling though. If you want to get fit, cycle up Dublin Hill every day, I have to face it to go to work, its a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

cycle from singers corner to AIB Western Road, a lovely smooth surface, you can do 18mph even on a mountain bike, and then (and heres the good bit) on the way back you can cycle in the bus lane

but thats just a novelty, and traffic is no fun, so as rymus said just use the blackrock rail line, again a nice smooth surface and a magic hill that feels like it goes down in both directions, a bonus is if you're on a racer from the you could break the speed limit along the marina road, doing about 55kmph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

has anyone got suggestions for weekend cycles (say 100km) starting from Cork?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

vector wrote:
    cycle from singers corner to AIB Western Road, a lovely smooth surface, you can do 18mph even on a mountain bike, and then (and heres the good bit) on the way back you can cycle in the bus lane

but thats just a novelty, and traffic is no fun, so as rymus said just use the blackrock rail line, again a nice smooth surface and a magic hill that feels like it goes down in both directions, a bonus is if you're on a racer from the you could break the speed limit along the marina road, doing about 55kmph
    ill be lucky to exceed walking speeds :D

Advertisement