Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reviews of 6280 & N70

• 16-05-2006 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

So folks,
    Since these phones have finally arrived on the three network, can people who have gotten them please comment on pros and cons of them. I know they are only just out but any problems so far?
    Looking to get one of them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Gar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Fúck

www.mobile-review.com

www.gsmarena.com

These are very nice review sites and have helped me a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Only got the 6280 on 3 yesterday and my number hasn't been ported yet so haven't started using it properly.

I played around with it a bit when I got home though. It didn't crashed or anything! Tried all the apps included in it. The camera is great and the sound on the speaker is decent. It's only slightly bigger (when the slider is closed) than my old 6230 and the screen is nice and big.

I used the included data cable to backup the data on my 6230 and transfer it onto the 6280. The PC Suite software seemed to hang when it completed the transfers so I had to Ctrl-Alt-Delete and end it. But everything got transferred ok.

The texts from the 6230 inbox seemed to be in random order in the 6280's inbox though. I'm hoping that it's just due to the transfer and they won't be all over the place all the time. I sent three test messages to it and they appeared in the expected order (newest at the top).

Overall, at this early stage, I'm well impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Got the 6280 on 3 network yesterday. Overall very happy with it...

The Cons:
    Out of the box the back cover is very difficult to remove, thought I was going to break it at one point.

The charger is not the same charger as previous nokias I have had, its a small issue but I like the fact that I can charge my phone in nearly any friends house I visit and even in the local pub at times. The new charger is a smaller head and 5volts 890mA as apposed to my old ones at 3.7volts 355mA. I guess its a small price to pay to get a battery to power that large screen.

Not havin a slider phone before I didnt realise you have to watch how you handle it, taking it out of your jeans can take a second or two to make sure ya dont damage it.

The Pros
    Excellent large screen with great colour and clarity, especially on its side watching video trailers or taking pics/videos. I cant get over the resolution it.

Navigation can all be done without opening the slider to access the keys.

The video feature is excellent quality once adjusted to the max allowed, although this does eat up the 64MB mini SD card very fast.

2 mega pixel camera is very good also, it take a bit of practice to get a good photo, if you click in haste it can have pixelated poor results. But it is very close to the quality of a stand alone 2 mega pix camera.

The media player is excellent, especially the mp3 player, if used with the stereo headphone provided it is top notch. The speaker onboard the handset muffels the sound in comparision, especially if left on a table more than a meter away.

Video calls on 3 are fairly good too. Definitly good enough to have a converstaion without getting annoyed. Its just about on par with skype video if anyone has used that. The frame rate can lag at times tho, if for example you move around the room quickly. The quality is enough to recognise the room the other person is in, and the layout of a PC screen nearby but not the content or icons.

Overall absolutly spot on tho. More than i expected from a phone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

What's it based on? Is it Series 40 software, have you got a pic of the 6230 side by side with it please nialldinho?

Elites, did you get it through a mate sim free at that price?

yeah, i think it's S40.

i can't take a pic now but i'll try to remember when i get home tonight.

• Advertisement

I'd appreciate that, thanx. It has bluetooth?

yep, and infrared.

Here are the side-by-side pics:

Very nice, I think one of them might be on the cards, I did a little bit of reading on it, the screen has 262k colours and has 3d, €179 on €25 a month bill with 3 unless I can find it cheaper, it's just a little wider that the 6230, I'd says it weighs the same though. I dunno about the silver buttons, are there any other covers availabe yet?

Thanks for the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Great review fade2che, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Great phone. The lack of S60 was disappointing though. I got a Moto E1000 yesterday, as it was the best phone for under 100euro, and I just wanted a cheap phone for video calls. The gf got the 6280, and while it's a lovely phone, I thought it would be a S60, especially for the price and size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

chrislad wrote:
    Great phone. The lack of S60 was disappointing though. I got a Moto E1000 yesterday, as it was the best phone for under 100euro, and I just wanted a cheap phone for video calls. The gf got the 6280, and while it's a lovely phone, I thought it would be a S60, especially for the price and size.

Yeah thats really disappointing. Was considering one but I automatically assumed it was running Symbian. Definately wouldn't be interested in one now....s40 phones are so limited, and a bit of a waste imo when they incorporate otherwise great features like the above, 2mp camera etc.

edit: lol, suppose this makes the good old 7650 my favourite nokia slider still...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'm seriously considering getting a 6280, at least to tide me over till I can get my hands on an N73. Elites, where did you get yours sim free? I really don't wanna switch to 3 to get this phone, as I'm quite happy with Meteor and I've no need for video calls.
    I've heard the camera quality is pretty awful, can anyone post some pics? The lack of Symbian 60 is pretty awful as well, it's probably the main thing holding me back from buying the phone right now, I dunno though.

The camera quality is decent enough, but not as good as the K750i.

I've done comparisons, as have many other phone sites. The K750i has a better lens, and better range. Video on the Nokias are way better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

K750i has autofocus, 6280 does not... I thought it had been shown that the K750i has the best 2 megapixel camera right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Just a quick question, can the 6280 infrared be used as a tv remote control or is the range too short. If it can what kind of software do i need?

#Elites wrote:

You can get loads of cool themes for this phone from loads of sites, and it takes the usual Java games and such.

Where's a good place to get free themes etc. And not crap like crazy frog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Also I think the infrared is high speed rather than CIR (Consumer IR) - will only work from a metre at most (not enough to be a remote really).

Handy if you need a button that isn't on your TV though! (I use my PDA as a backup remote :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

One quick question to anyone who has a 6280. Is the voice recording quality on it good? As in can it record very loud noises quite clearly? I ask because i always record my mate's gigs when they play but on all the phones ive had so far the playback on them is terrible. U can barely hear anything at all!

• Advertisement

There are loads of IR software out there, I use my phone for my TV and DVD player, but they are for Symbian only - s40 (java) is not an ideal platform for decent apps like that, I still think it was a huge mistake on Nokias part not to run the Symbian OS on 6280...really limits its functionality, there are literally 1000's of excellent quality games and multimedia/business/etc apps for symbian

Its not cheap either. Its no cheaper then the 6680, which, despite only having a 1.3mp camera, is definately imo a far superior phone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

will it fit the 6230i carkit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I'm a little dissapointed now that i have tried to transfer video podcasts to the phone.
    What extension to the videos need to be to be played on the 6280?
    I cant get mp4 to play. There is sound but no picture.
    I tried to convert it to 3gp at 320x240, but when the blutooth transfer gets to about 25MB it freezes. There is about 950MB free space on the 1GB card i bought.
    Can anyone tell me what files types this phone will play properly, what the best video converter is and how to transfer stuff over bluetooth to it that is over 25MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I'm seriously considering getting a 6280, at least to tide me over till I can get my hands on an N73.
    I just looked up the specs on Expansys:
    http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=136146&tab=1

That N73 looks to be very sweet indeed... Quad band or Tri-band + 3G! And based on OS Symbian OS 9.1, S60 3rd edition. I wonder what it's going to cost... and if 3 will have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Do any of you know if it's possible to flash 3's 6280 to the original firmware? If so, how? There are a few things 3 have disabled/removed that I'd like to have access to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Well i ended up getting the 6280. very pleased with the phone. There are only 2 things that are irriating me.
    The fact that you cant go to what ever web page you like on wap.
    and that when you add a word to the predictive dictionary it does not stay...

anyone noticed anything similar?

gar wrote:
    and that when you add a word to the predictive dictionary it does not stay...

it keeps them for me.

is there any way to lock the keypad without sliding open and shut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

#Elites wrote:
    the word not saving is a bug that can be fixed by flashing to a nokia firmware (not the Operator ones) .

.... and how exactly do you do that? I have the same problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Do any of you know if it's possible to flash 3's 6280 to the original firmware? If so, how? There are a few things 3 have disabled/removed that I'd like to have access to.

Bring it to some where like the Mobile Phone Repair Company in Sandyford and request the latest generic firmware. I did that with a Vodafone N70 a couple of weeks ago, when I arrived back after a few hours I discovered they had flashed it with the same original 2.05 firmware! However one of the guys behind the desk made a few calls , took the phone and 15 minutes arrived down with the latest 5.x firmware on it :-)

I would suggest doing a google search for firmware details so that when you arrive you can specify the exact firmware you need

Advertisement