Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bt e-mail setup - help needed

Options
  • 16-05-2006 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Have been using BT broadband for best part of a year now.

Only just tried to access the BT e-mail account. Using Outlook Express my password keeps getting rejected according to OE. I have a gmail account setup in OE... no problems there.

these are the settings I'm using for the e-mail account. Can anyone advise? Have contacted tech support via e-mail but respose is less than rapid..

**On the Servers tab**
    pop3 server
    incoming: gpo.iol.ie
    outgoing: mail.iol.ie
    account name: name (from e-mail address name@btbb.ie)
    logon using...: unchecked
    my server requires...: checked

**On the advanced tab**
    outgoing port (SMTP): 25
    incoming (pop3): 110
    both checkboxes unchecked

Is there anyway to login via a web page so I can check that the e-mail account has been setup and my password works.

Cheers...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

cheers for the link but that doesn't work for me. The tech guy specifically said the e-mail was of type [name@btbb.ie] whereas that page is [name@iol.ie]. Either one doesn't work for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

@btbb is the username extension for connecting to BB.
    According to the website your email should be "name@btireland.ie".
    What is my email address going to be?

Your email address will end in @btireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

incoming should be pop.iol.ie and outgoing gpo.iol.ie. the 25 and 110 are right.

thanks for the tips folks but no dice on these + about 20 different variations of same.

here's hoping from a response from tech support

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

erm did u register an email with them?
    its @iol.ie aswell their site is wrong.

also @btbb is a broadband login not email.

I didn't register an account. I had assumed one was set up when my broadband service was activated. I have notes of the converstaion I had with the tech support guy about web page set up etc and my notes say e-mail: name@btbb.ie
    However this would seem to be wrong now from the gist of responses. I certainly didn't register an account by filling in a web form.

There's a link in the guide in the BT support section which points to http://register.iol.ie/email/register.html

I see that iol belongs to BT but it isn't at all clear that I should use iol to set up my e-mail.

This page asks loads of personal details which I'm not to happy to give. I put in a load of crap and didn't get too far. Does everyone with a BT account use this site to register their e-mail addresses and if so does anyone know what minimum details are required..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

just get a gmail account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

try just using 'name' instead of 'name@bt...'.

Comparing the hassle ratio I would go with what was suggested in the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Hi,

I was with eircom / now BT

whats BT smtp to send?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

worded wrote:
    Hi,

I was with eircom / now BT

whats BT smtp to send?
    mail.iol.ie
    BTW, I still use the Eircom setings and they work on BT