Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission refused-fingal co. council

• 16-05-2006 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all

Just received the bad news from Fingal Co. Council. They have just rejected my application to build a 5 bed detached on my corner site in Castleknock. Reasons they gave were that the house was "overbearing" and not in character with surrounding houses (even though the front looks the same) and that there weren't enough parking for the house (even though we have enough room for 3 or 4 cars).

I'm not too sure whether to resubmit a new application for a smaller 4 bed detached or appeal to An Board Pleanala for the 5 bed. I know if An Board Pleanal reject it, the decision is final. Our architect thinks that the planner for Fingal Co. Council seems to have been looking for a reason not to grant permission and he's seen them do this before.

Also, whatever we do, should we be seeking the services of an independent planner to do a report for us for our next submission, either to Fingal or An Bord Pleanala?

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted....thanks!

Larmo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'd be inclined to proceed with An Bord Planala and if you fail there go back and apply for the 4 bed property.

Did a neighbour object to your original application?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

From your description it seems they have a problem with either the appearance of the proprosed development or how it will 'visually impact' on the immediate area.

I'd like to know if you had any third party submissions and if so on what grounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I thought they'd let you build anything in Castleknock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi larrymo,

How about meeting the planner for your area ( cap in hand ;) ) and ask him / her straight out how your proposal offended the neighbouring area because you a very community minded sort of person.

Remember that if you get permission for a smaller house there are a lot of exemptions that you can use later.

Better to work with the plannners than to try going up against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Appeal to Bord Pleanala.

If you are unsure of your appeal application I know someone who consults on such matters, PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 larrymo

Thanks for all replies, folks, keep 'em coming.

I have to wait 4 weeks to either appeal or not appeal the Fingal decision. After that, I'm free to contact the planner who gave the decision and go through it with her (seems to be a lot of young female planners there). Not sure if they are being conservative in their decisions, i.e., negative, because they're young or whether they've been giving a brief from up on high in Fingal to reject most anything in the area.

Has anybody had dealings with Fingal whereby they've had trouble getting permission for something like this? Would they rated as a difficult Co. Council to get approval from?

In relation to appealing the matter to An Bord Pleneala for the 5 bed house and fail, can we then submit an application for a smaller 4 bed house to Fingal and appeal it to An Bord Pleneala if that fails?

Sorry for all questions, folks, I was just a bit taken aback by the reasons given by Fingal for refusal. Cheers!

Larrymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,479 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can apply and appeal as many times as you want, the only risks are (a) getting a reputation (b) you cement the future of the property and loose any hope value if you ever wanted to sell.

Advertisement