Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog for someone not home during the day .. Advice.

Options
  • 16-05-2006 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all.

I am a huge dog lover and have had a dog all through growing up at home. I think i would make a great dog owner and be able to give it a great loving home. Problem is, I live in the city and would not want the dog roaming around near the roads during the day for fear it might get knocked down. Are there any types of dogs that would be content roaming around the garden behind locked gates during the day while i am at work. I don't want to be cruel to the dog by leaving it on its own all day but maybe there is a specific breed of dog that would be quite happy. I would obviously bring it for walks and fresh air + loads of attention when i am home and on my days off. I have a friend who keeps his dog locked in the kitchen all day while he is at work and i think this is very cruel ( and have said as much).

Any help would be much appreciated.

( i have been putting off getting a dog for the past two years for this reason)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

UpsideDown wrote:
    Hi all.

Are there any types of dogs that would be content roaming around the garden behind locked gates during the day while I am at work.

The quick and simple answer ...

No, there aren't !

And the slightly elongated answer ...

Dogs are social animals, they need contact and interaction. From that point of view it makes feck all difference whether the dog is locked into the kitchen or in the garden for most of the day.

Add to that the fact, that while you're not there, you can't train or correct or supervise your dog ...but it can quite happily "teach" itself all sorts of unwanted behaviour that is very difficult to change during the few "together" hours.

This applies to all dogs regardless of breed, size or type.

Leaving them alone for a few hours is fine ...but all day, every (working) day is just too long.

( i have been putting off getting a dog for the past two years for this reason)

You can tell a real animal lover by the fact that he/she doesn't keep one until the conditions are right.

And to all those, who are going to post in the vain of:

"I have a such-and-such, and he has the big garden to himself all day and he is so happy (with his toys / digging holes / sleeping all day) and he doesn't mind at all ...go ahead, I really recommend getting a such-and-such ..."

Nope ...he isn't happy ...it is just what you've made yourselves believe !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpsideDown

Thanks for the advise peasant. I think i''l hold out until conditions change if they do in fact change. It wouldn't be right.

(p.s. what if i got two of them..... No :o )

Getting two looks only "better" at first glance.

We like to believe that two dogs would keep each other company, that they would happily play with each other for half the day and snuggle up to each other for the rest of it ...

Well ...that just *might* happen.

But the far more realistic scenario is, that not before long you will be the proud owner of two bored dogs, locked into a garden without any stimulation or supervision, gauding each other into such *fun* activities like:
    - constant barking
    - annoying the neighbours
    - squabbling over food / toys
    - digging through the fence
    - and other unsavoury activities

...and the end result will be, that they rely on each other for guidance and give you the two fingers (or paws:D ) when you finally come home and try to teach them manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

We got our first dog in January, 2005 at 4 weeks old she was a house dog until she was 6 months old due to illness (we nearly lost her). When we decided to get a dog it was on the condition that it would be part of the family and would have human interaction during the day. We got a second dog in October to keep the first company and we were lucky it worked they adore each other and they do play with each other during the day. But that wasn't enough for me so we have a neighbour who comes in twice a day and takes them for a 20 minute walk each time. We have also got someone who from next week is going to take to take them twice a week for an hour and a half each time either up the mountains, to the park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I recently got a miniature dachshund pup and for the first few weeks he was alone one or two days a week for up to 7 hours (from now on he'll only be alone for up to 4 hrs maybe 3 days a week), and he didnt seem to miserable or depressed when I'd get home at all, but as peasant says, thats just what I think, and they have no way of telling you.
    I'd say if he's going to be alone more than 4hrs a day, it would be unfair to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

In an ideal world dogs would be integrated in their human pack at all times. But this isn't an ideal world and alot of rescue dogs sit in their kennels 24/7 without much human interaction etc. So the what's the lesser of two evils? Maybe you could get an older, very settled dog?

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I tried to edit my initial post but it looks as if I can't do it so I add it here:

Another option is dog sitting, maybe someone in your area would love to do that during the day. A flyer at the local vets might bring some results.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

the place we kennel our dog says they have "day dogs" who are left every morning and collected in the evening. could be pricey tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

I have never had dogs, so I can't really comment either way, but I know they can be expensive to feed, especially the big ones, so would the majority of people not have to be out at work all day to afford to keep them?

They're not THAT expensive to feed ...vet bills could be a different story though.

But you're right, it's a bit of a catch 22 situation :D

Having said that, your dog would probably be at its happiest if it could roam the streets and lanes with you 24/7, rummaging through bins for food, keeping each other warm at night ...:D :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

peasant that post is after putting the song from the Littlest Hobo in my head! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 denver

Hello,

O.K. so I am sure people are going to bite my head off here! I have 2 dogs, both Siberian Huskies and have had them for over 5 years now. Both my husband and I work and were concerned about the dogs being home alone but after seeing so many locked up at dog pounds and shelters, we decided they would have a better life with us then there. (Our dogs are adopteed/rescues, I think there are far too many unwanted dogs out there to justify buying one from a pet store/breeder.) Remember that dogs spend a huge amount of time sleeping . They certainly need human contact but if you were home all day the dog would not be awake the whole time and hanging out with you as they really do need a lot of sleep. ( I can't remember the exact stat, something like 70% of their day is spent sleeping?) I live in the US where dogs are a part of the family and are treated extremely well. they are allowed in most shops, hotels etc. There are doggy day cares if you work and want the dogs to have company during the day but it is canine company that is emphasied rather than humans. They have regular, long nap times (often 2 hours at a time) as once agin, dogs need to sleep. I walk the dogs every morning before leaving for work. They have a doggy door so can wander between the house and the back garden. (The older one likes to sleep on the leather sofa!). As soon as I get in from work I take them for another walk and then one more before bedtime. They play together a lot and Huskies are known for doing better in 2 dog households. When I am off they tend to spend most of their time sleeping until it is time for a walk or playtime or they will go outside and play together. They like their "space" and will often go into their room for a few hours to sleep. (I told you dogs in the US are spoilt, they have there own bedroom!). Before we got the dogs we talked with vets, shelters, animal organizations etc. about "latchkey dogs" and all said it is not cruel to leave dogs while you are at work. Similar to humans it is the quality of time you spend with dogs that is really important, not just quantity. Dogs should never be let roam around the streets, that is way too dangerous. They should have a good sized fenced garden and access to a dry and warm shelter or house. So in my humble opinion you can be a dog lover and good owner and work fulltime. Just because you are at home all day does not mean you will automaticaly be a good owner. So that's my 2 cents, now I am sure people will critize me and say I am cruel to dogs!

P.S. When we first got each dog we took time off work to train them, get them used to each other, thier surroundings etc. Training is a long process and one that can't be done a few hours each day so anybody thinking of getting a dog, wheter you work or not, should factor that into the equation. They do not have the destructive habits described previously such as barking, digging, destroying house etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think some people tend to put more value on dogs than humans. Just because a dog doesn't get interaction during the day doesn't actually mean it is suffering only that it's not getting as good a time as the dog next door.

I wish we all had that choice. how would the op deal with having children - give up work because the child is actually better off with a parent around?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Denver, you're right of course but most people won't put in the effort in the beginning and the dog just ends up in the pound because it chews/barks/messes, etc.

Here dogs are disposable saw some shocking figures the other day about how many are put down in pounds here.

Also depends on how long they are gone during the day. If you leave at 7 and get home at 7, that's not really leaving you enough time for time with an animal now is it. I live in the super extended commuter belt and know people gone 13 or more hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

I totally understand how much some people want to have a dog.

We went for 10 years waiting for the right time to get one.

An invaluable help is to get a dog walker. Someone who will take the dog out for at least an hour a day - preferably somewhere open and safe where they can get a lot of exercise running about for the hour.

This can be pricy but well worth it as the dog will get its main exercise daily and also be calmer and more relaxed when you get home.

Check out if any are available in your area:
    http://www.irishanimals.com/care/kennel.html

[Quote: Also depends on how long they are gone during the day. If you leave at 7 and get home at 7, that's not really leaving you enough time for time with an animal now is it. I live in the super extended commuter belt and know people gone 13 or more hours a day].

I forget that the commute time in Ireland can be so long. I leave at 6.15am and am back by 3pm but my husband does not leave until 9 so I suppose that helps. We are thinking of moving back next year and bringing our 2 dogs with us. I am scared that they will be stolen from the back garden. Do you think that will be a problem? Thinking we will live more out in the country, maybe Cavan and will have a fenced in garden. Not sure on the doggy door, heard you can't get house insurance with one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a West Highland terrier. I have one. She's fully content to fun around the house, and our garden (actually, she just runs to the bottom of the garden where the rat hole is, but anyhoo's). If I were ever to get a dog myself, I'd get two westie's, so that they'd have company.

Also, cos they're small, they wouldn't need as much space to run around in.

Also, cos they're small, they wouldn't need as much space to run around in.

Exactly ! But why not go the whole distance and get a Chihuahua ...sure, they're so small they can spend their lives in your handbag ...

aaargh ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Dont think its right to get a dog if you work full time.If your talking about leaving a dog on its own from morning till evening 5-6 days a week a think its unfair.You should also take into consideration that the dog will already be spending 9hrs+ on its own at night(yes i know its asleep),then you stick a rough 9hrs+ on that with work, commuting,leisure activities,erands and its feck all time really for a dog to have company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

denver wrote:
    [Quote: Also depends on how long they are gone during the day. If you leave at 7 and get home at 7, that's not really leaving you enough time for time with an animal now is it. I live in the super extended commuter belt and know people gone 13 or more hours a day].

I forget that the commute time in Ireland can be so long. I leave at 6.15am and am back by 3pm but my husband does not leave until 9 so I suppose that helps. We are thinking of moving back next year and bringing our 2 dogs with us. I am scared that they will be stolen from the back garden. Do you think that will be a problem? Thinking we will live more out in the country, maybe Cavan and will have a fenced in garden. Not sure on the doggy door, heard you can't get house insurance with one. Thanks.

Hi Denver.There is a pretty bad problem in Ireland with theft of dogs but it really doesnt matter if you live in the country or the city,both are pretty equal.If you have neighbours in your vancinity it should be a bit more of a deterant than a house on its own,but im pretty sure the sight of two siberian huskies would be too much of a task for a theif;) .Fencing is also a good idea,just use your own common sence as to what would be a good enclosure for them to be safe.

• Advertisement

Hi Padi89,

Thanks for the tips. That sucks that people would steal your dogs. At leaset in the States you can leave your garage open and your car unlocked and it would be fine. You might be gunned down at a store but your dogs would not be stolen! Our 2 dogs are pretty big, one an oversized Husky that weighs 60lbs and the other is a Husky/Lab mix and weighs 120Lbs! Looks like a black bear or something! They don't bark (typical Huskies) but the black one will growl if he hears something or somebody near the fence so hopefully that and their piercing ice blue eyes will be enough to put people off. Only problem is if someone actually came into the house/garden the dogs would happily go over and lick their face and go off with them! We would need a 6ft fence so will have to see if that will be a problem. Maybe the solution would be to tell my husband he will have to earn enough that I can stay at home all day and protect them!

Advertisement