Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fm104 Phoneshow

• 16-05-2006 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I have posted this before, but would like to get to the bottom of it. Last time I posted about the phoneshow a lot of people expressed their dislike for it. I was just wondering why? Now fair enough, it can be crap some nights. But most nights the topics are interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It's just skangers shouting at eachother all the time. Granted, I do listen to it but purely for it's entertainment value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Its annoying sometimes how dim-witted and narrow-minded many of the people that phone in are. They give the impression that they have never moved outside the little box they have been living in all their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I used to listen to it, and while the topics are usually interesting, and Adrian isn't bad, the callers he lets onto the show are just the lowest scum ever, usually. Junkies and morons for the most part. I used to get incredibly frustrated listening to it, cos I wasn't ar.sed ringing in, so couldn't set them straight. ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I will agree with you to a point. Some of the callers are scum and have no manners. Btw, they are not all skangers as you put it. There are a lot of culchies ringing up now. But is that really a reason to dislike it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

sometimes its ok. use to listen to it all the time as i like talk radio but since the introduction of newstalk i get my talk radio fix enough!!!

another reason i switched off was people who think they know everything and talk absolute crap. like that tosser FRANK who always rings in. amuses me when he talks about the drug culture in the city (not that im promoting it) but to hear his opinions and what he thinks goes on.

i listen now and again but ray foley is better and usually the 98fm phone in is more craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Because the host is an over opinionated pr*ck and his callers are either pure scum or worse,pretending to be pure scum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I will agree with you to a point. Some of the callers are scum and have no manners. Btw, they are not all skangers as you put it. There are a lot of culchies ringing up now. But is that really a reason to dislike it?
    well yeah, the show only exists as long as there are callers, and as long as the callers are predominantly uneducated twits, I won't be able to enjoy it. Now that I think of it, are there any other shows that function in the same way, but draw in a different crowd? It's mostly intelligent people allowed to speak on Newstalk106, but the shows don't really allow your ordinary caller debate with another ordinary caller. They only let the 'important' guests debate like that.

I'd like an alternative to the Adrian Kennedy phone show, with more filtering done on the contributers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

worse then the pure scum is the complete posho's who call in every now and then. granted, i haven't listened in months thanks to my discovery of podcasts and/or newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, reasoned listener debate would be nice from a radio show. In fairness, advertisers pay cash in the hope that listeners will buy their products so they prefer mindless fools who will listen to every ad and think "Wow, those sound bleedin' deadly, I'll buy/rob one of them from the shop tomorrow".

Many of the contributors to that show on FM104 are mindless fools so advertisers are obviously making big bucks from these people, imo.

I would love to see NewsTalk or even RTE1 develop a show with a similar format but with better topics and less idiots shouting how thery will "find your gaffe and sort you out pal!". Instead they could call them out with pistols at dawn :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Aren't some of the callers set up to call in? Like brought on the air on purpose to get a rise from the listners??? Like can they all be "genuine" callers???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah some people are rang and sked to contribute and asked to go totally against the topic. just to get people to ring in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Ah - I used to listen to Adrian Kennedy a good while back and I actually thought his show was OK. He's an alright presenter, and at times he can bring up good topics for Dublin and surrounding areas to discuss. Don't listen anymore - well, maybe once in a blue moon to Get it off your Chest with himself and Jeramy. I'm more of a Tom O Brannigan fan myself. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

MaltEagle wrote:
    Ah - I used to listen to Adrian Kennedy a good while back and I actually thought his show was OK. He's an alright presenter, and at times he can bring up good topics for Dublin and surrounding areas to discuss. Don't listen anymore - well, maybe once in a blue moon to Get it off your Chest with himself and Jeramy. I'm more of a Tom O Brannigan fan myself. ;)

He's a politically biased muppet. (Tom O Brannigan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I was just wondering why?

I really dislike scumbags, I dont want to hear their narrow minded, ill informed opinions on anything. Its bad enough having to put up with this scum on public transport, in bars, shouting in the street.

For me radio is all about entertainment, these fools serve no purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

you all say this,if you don't like the people,why don't you ring in then?
    you all seem to think "oh I don't like the people who ring in,they're all scum" so if you all ring in there will be different people won't there?
    I really like the show,it's fun to laugh at people on it,and I think it's nice when Adrian calls somebody an idiot and hangs up on them.

phasers wrote:
    I think it's nice when Adrian calls somebody an idiot and hangs up on them.

Yeah, it is priceless when he does that. Makes it so much more entertaining especially when the person deserves it.

Saying that I haven't listened to the show in ages. I just haven't got the time. It is fairly good and provides a good bit of entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

T&#225 wrote: »
    yeah some people are rang and sked to contribute and asked to go totally against the topic. just to get people to ring in
    Surely that would be against the rules of the BCI?

phasers wrote:
    you all say this,if you don't like the people,why don't you ring in then?
    you all seem to think "oh I don't like the people who ring in,they're all scum" so if you all ring in there will be different people won't there?

No. The whole point of the show is to have Jerry Springer trailer trash types. People phoning in to give a reasoned and balanced point of view generally don't get on air. Those that are lucky to go live on air are usually placed alongside some space-cadet who jumps all over them without giving them time to air their views or even listen to those views.

This phoneshow is for the intellectually challenged. If that entertains you well and good, I admit that sometimes it can be amusing but then you realise that many of these people are for real and not doing it for comedy. That's when the true level of their ignorance becomes shocking :eek:

As for people being asked to contribute, I wouldn't put it past FM 104. I doubt it's against the BCI rules as the station could probably get around it by saying that these people are valid contributors and the station want to give a balance to both sides of the argument. I think it would be hard for the BCI to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Bond-007 wrote:
    Surely that would be against the rules of the BCI?

Which ones, specifically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Firstly, you'd do well to prove that callers are set up. In my professional opinion (working in radio a decade), there would be the odd, odd, occasion where someone might be encouraged to go on a paricular side of the fence.

I will say however, that if you think the AK show is just "skangers ringing in and shouting at each other" then you don't listen to the show very often. There's an element of that but there's plenty of 'educated people' taking part in the discussions from when I've listened in.

Tom Brannigan is a bit up himself from my experience, I've personally witnessed him speaking as gaeilge at the top of his voice in my local pub just so the whole place can hear that he can speak the language. Pat on the back Tom, we all only did 12 years of it in school.

His show is aimed at a totally different audience these days and his JNLR figures are embarrassing reading.

• Advertisement

Well, I must admit that I stopped listening to the show a long time ago, precisely because at that time it was all skangers and scumbags and not a reasoned, intelligent person in earshot!

Perhaps it's changed, perhaps not, either way I prefer my radio to be scumbag free and won't be tuning the band on my wireless that way any time soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

That's completely your choice, I would rather listen to music at that time of night myself but anyone who comes on here and says it's just scangers screaming at each other is simply ignorant.

Big Balls wrote:
    That's completely your choice, I would rather listen to music at that time of night myself but anyone who comes on here and says it's just scangers screaming at each other is simply ignorant.

I haven't listened to it in a good while not because I don't like it anymore, just haven't really gotten the time. Anyway, as you say it is ignorant saying that every caller that rings in is a skanger. That is completely not true, there maybe one or two, but don't class everyone the same. There are mostly inteligent people that ring in and give a decent argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Balls wrote:
    Firstly, you'd do well to prove that callers are set up. In my professional opinion (working in radio a decade), there would be the odd, odd, occasion where someone might be encouraged to go on a paricular side of the fence..

They definitely used to use stooges for their Phone show when Chris Barry was doing it. I know from personal experience. I could not be sure if they still do but on the odd occasion I listen to it it would not surprise me if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

FM104 can't control the content of the phoneshow, yes the people may be scum or acting like it, but at the end of the day its a cheap way for FM104 to acheive its ''current affairs and vocal'' requirements for the amount of hours required in their licence handed down by the BCI. :(

FM104 can't control the content of the phoneshow, yes the people may be scum or acting like it, but at the end of the day its a cheap way for FM104 to acheive its ''current affairs and vocal'' requirements for the amount of hours required in their licence handed down by the BCI. :(

Of course they can and do control the content of the phoneshow. They operate a 30 second delay before it goes to air.

I agree phonshows are used as a cheap and easy method of meeting the current affairs and music to speech ratio requirements of their licence.

The Muppet wrote:
    They operate a 30 second delay before it goes to air.

Yep thats true. But that is only to edit out whatever is said.

Yep thats true. But that is only to edit out whatever is said.

The technology can be used to terminate unsuitable callers before the objectionable part of a call is broadcast or as you say edit out specific parts of a call while still allowing the call to go live to air (almost) .

At the end of the day, if you dont like it you can always elect to another station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

At the end of the day, if you dont like it you can always elect to another station.
    At the end of the day...

It's night, so deal with it!

Achilles wrote:
    At the end of the day...

It's night, so deal with it!

What does that have to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

All laws become obsolete when the sun goes down.;)

All laws become obsolete when the sun goes down.;)

Nope im pretty sure laws apply after 9.30 to all radio stations :D lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Re: calling people to come on and present a certain argument.

I cannot see how that would be in any contravention of the BCI rules. Indeed, FM104 like all broadcasters are obliged to ensure that any news or opinion show is, insofar as is possible, balanced. If there is no one calling in to represent a differnet view point, then there may actually be an obligation on them to seek one.

Besides, one-sided debate is never interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

"Hello, Good Evening and welcome to FM104's Phone Show. This is Adrian Kennedy with you right through til 1 o'clock tonight, Our telephone number is6797104. Tonight we'll be asking if it's ok to <insert scum activity here>, we'll also be looking at a new study that says 95% of you are scum... But we top and tail the show with our nightly piss take where you phone us in a desperate attempt to get on the air while we attempt to fill up space with annoying songs that most people saw on YouTube Many Years ago,"

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

"Hello, Good Evening and welcome to FM104's Phone Show. This is Adrian Kennedy with you right through til 1 o'clock tonight, Our telephone number is6797104. Tonight we'll be asking if it's ok to <insert scum activity here>, we'll also be looking at a new study that says 95% of you are scum... But we top and tail the show with our nightly piss take where you phone us in a desperate attempt to get on the air while we attempt to fill up space with annoying songs that most people saw on YouTube Many Years ago,"

:rolleyes:

Take it your not a fan of the show:p

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

I've a story to tell about the AK phone show. About 3 or 4 years ago, my mates and I were drinking in a house, having a few cans and just joking about on a Thursday night. We were all about 18 or 19 at the time. The phone show was on in the background and the discussion was about 'should gays be allowed adopt children?'. So one of us rang up and pretended to be gay and advocated that gays should be allowed adopt children. just so you know, it wasnt really a subject any of us had a particular stance on, we just played the devils adovcate for a whole hour. Between the four or five of us, we just kept coming up with arguments that dispelled the counter-argument altogether with the absolute bare minimum of effort. Now there are plenty of strong arguments people may have against gay adoption but I sure didn't hear one for the entire duration of the show.

The level of response was 'its not natural, Adrian'. The phone show is a great forum for the ordinary man to put his point across but its so facile and the topics are deliberately provocative so it kind of shoots itself in the foot.

When a bunch of drunk teenagers can argue successfully on that show for an entire hour, you know its not worth listening to it.

PS. Anybody notice the cliched line of 'Theres no facilities adrian!'!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

i have to say i like the show purely for the entertainment value and most topics that come up are interesting.

Ziycon wrote:
    i have to say i like the show purely for the entertainment value and most topics that come up are interesting.

Well said, well said. For a while the topics were getting really crap and boaring. But I was listening to it for a couple of nights both this week and last week and I have to say that they were really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 forgodssake22

Dont be so snobby now.

The get it off your chest hours is always entertaining. At the end of the day it is an entertainment show and it serves its purpose. Its been running for over ten years now so obviously some people enjoy it. Different people have different tastes.

People still call him Chris after all these years.

• Advertisement

As they previous poster has stated, the show has been going for over ten years. If nobody was listening to it then it would'nt be broadcasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Havent listened to it in a while but there was some aul wan they used to have on most nights, Bernie I think :confused:

FM104 used to ring her up just to get her for her 1930's old skool outlook on life on and she was practically on every night, she sticks in the mind as much as the presenter :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MetalMosher

Let's not forget though, FM104 "is" Ireland's most listened to late night talk show. That may be the quote from the sound bytes, but it's true. Statistics have proven it, and more than likely, people are listening to it JUST because it's entertaining, like we've said. Hopefully it's not for the intellectual or quality chat value; because I would say that factor is gone.

Its the city channel chiefs that are bonkers! what a cheap way to fill an hour of program time by sticking a webcam in a radio studio and broadcasting it for an hour....:o BORING TV!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I think its great, i dont much like music so i have little use for a radio and i dont drive either so i dont relay get to listen to it that much

Whenever im in a friends car around that time i ask them to put it on and i worked nights for a month about 3 months ago and i listened to it every night when i was in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 as_seen_on

I listen to the show but only to the get it off your chest part and the start of the debate. Once I hear the skanger shouting I know the argument is going one sided and Kennedy does nothing about it as he is biased nearly all the time. I think that Jeremy carries the show through and gives a few laughs get it off your chest would be no good without him

I was listening one night and the debate was about kids calling a the fire services to an estate and throwing stuff at them. Then this skanger from somewhere like Drogheda or Dundalk rings in, puts his best skanger accent on and when challenged by Adrian tells him to go f**k himself and hangs up. Hilarious.:D

as_seen_on wrote:
    I listen to the show but only to the get it off your chest part and the start of the debate. Once I hear the skanger shouting I know the argument is going one sided and Kennedy does nothing about it as he is biased nearly all the time. I think that Jeremy carries the show through and gives a few laughs get it off your chest would be no good without him

I totally agree with you, get it off your chest would be nothing without Jeremy. But they are a great team, both Adrian and Jeremy, the show would be nothing without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Its the city channel chiefs that are bonkers! what a cheap way to fill an hour of program time by sticking a webcam in a radio studio and broadcasting it for an hour....

its their best show for ratings though plus city channel have barely any money yet are still managing to make a profit already

Hopefully it's not for the intellectual or quality chat value; because I would say that factor is gone.

I didn't think there ever was one. Sometimes Adrian can't even speak English, eg "Executor" instead of "Executioner" when they were talking t that religious psycho.

And I never get why they start a topic, answer a few calls, and then say "(sad tone)In a moment we'll be talking to [name] whose sons were killed in [gangland thing] but (happy tone) first here's your chance to win €80 on WHAT'S IN KENNEDY'S HEAD!"

PS : This is coming from the "PPI Current Affairs show of the year"

• Advertisement
Advertisement