Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone listened to Kill Em All recently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Haha, "bollocks" to me? :rolleyes: Pity such attitude does nothing for your posting style, eh? It's simple, bub: Kill 'Em All had attitude. Everything afterward had as much attitude but with better musicianship to boot. Doesn't take a genius. Which is just as well.

A: no need to be a prick about a comment that was not meant offensively. I am intelligent, without question, and there is no need to call it into question.

B: Nothing after Kill 'Em All had that same raw energy, and no, I am not of the older generation, I am almost certainly of a generation younger than your own, so that's not the issue, but that album had fury, which is what mattered. Nothing afterwards was the same in that regard, though the compositions and structuring got more intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Kill 'Em All - Meh, its alright. Kinda shows how good Dave Mustaine would have been in that band

But ..And Justice for All, on the other hand, is a masterpiece! The guitar tone is unreal, the drums sound so excellent (for Lars). Too bad about the retarded tech who couldn't record bass properly.

Yeah, I can't like that album much for the lack of bass... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah, I can't like that album much for the lack of bass... :(
    Some guy did his own job of remastering it and now the bass is audible. Its actually quite good. It's the only version I listen to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They did that on purpose didn't they?

• Advertisement

They did that on purpose didn't they?

I'd heard there was some sort of spite with Newsted, so they cut out his bass material, could just be hearsay though, to be honest. The re-release Slurms is referring to is called ...And Justice For Jason methinks. I wanna find it. It'd help me appreciate that album. I know it kicks ass, but it sounds awful...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Was just listening it today for the first time in God knows how long. Really gott to give it to them, four great albums. I sometimes forget they were good and theink they were over rated. Then I listen to the music.
    Oh memories. Right, off to play seek and destroy on the 'axe'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Slurms wrote:
    Some guy did his own job of remastering it and now the bass is audible. Its actually quite good. It's the only version I listen to now.

Actually he recorded himself playing bass along to the cd. Remastering wouldn't make a difference, you can't really turn up what isn't there. Good effort by the lad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Doctor J wrote:
    Actually he recorded himself playing bass along to the cd. Remastering wouldn't make a difference, you can't really turn up what isn't there. Good effort by the lad :)

I'd like to hear this, often thought about doing it! where could one *ahem* procure it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Slurms wrote:

That sounds like something worth picking up. Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

I'd like to hear this, often thought about doing it! where could one *ahem* procure it?

Found it!

http://www.jasonizer.com/justice.html

I'd heard there was some sort of spite with Newsted, so they cut out his bass material, could just be hearsay though, to be honest. The re-release Slurms is referring to is called ...And Justice For Jason methinks. I wanna find it. It'd help me appreciate that album. I know it kicks ass, but it sounds awful...

No I read that Newsted wasn't even in the band for the recordings, and they didn't wanna put huge emphasis on the bass making it look like they were trying to replace Burton.

Ehhhh, Newsted joined the band in 86 and recorded the bass-heavy Garage Days Revisited EP in 87. He was around for the 88 release of AJFA for sure. The sound of AJFA is just a sonic reflection of the dominant characters of the band. They were going for a big, prominent bass drum sound and big, heavy, thick low-end guitar, both of which were operating in the same frequency range as the bass. Given that most of the basslines on AJFA were just shadowing what the rhythm guitar was doing it's no surprise he got cut from the mix. In fairness to Bob Rock, he spent a lot of time with Jason finding a bass tone that could co-exist with the bass drum and rhythm guitar sound on the next album without being overwhelmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Listened to it recently, I remember the last time I went to see Metallica they only played one song from Kill Em All, Seek and Destroy and I was always puzzled by that....although in retrospect its a 23 year old album and 'Hit the Lights' might be a great song but it doesnt hold much weight in the wake of songs like 'Fade to Black' and 'Master of Puppets'

Cliff recorded an interview 12 hours before he died, in which he said that he had hardly listened to Kill Em All since it was released, and that the band had moved on from then a lot...basically Kill Em All was a collection of songs the band had had lying around since 81 that they just hadnt recorded, it was every piece of original material they had PRIOR to that and there was no sitting down and writing the album over a period of time, no plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Cliff might not have listened to Kill Em All a lot because his influences on it were not prevalient

http://www.metallica.com/Media/Albums/albums.asp?album_id=1%20

He was not one of the key song writers at that early stage

Doctor J wrote:
    Ehhhh, Newsted joined the band in 86 and recorded the bass-heavy Garage Days Revisited EP in 87. He was around for the 88 release of AJFA for sure.

Well thanks for clearing that up, I was just repeating what I read.
    But does that mean they adapted to his sound for AJFA?

Cliff recorded an interview 12 hours before he died, in which he said that he had hardly listened to Kill Em All since it was released, and that the band had moved on from then a lot...basically Kill Em All was a collection of songs the band had had lying around since 81 that they just hadnt recorded, it was every piece of original material they had PRIOR to that and there was no sitting down and writing the album over a period of time, no plan

But that applies to every band's first album. Until you put out an album, you don't really think of your tunes in an album format as they no doubt did afterwards. Before you get signed you just write the best tunes you can without any particular one-disc concept in mind (OK I'm sure there is an exception somewhere but this applies to the vast majority of bands out there).

Well thanks for clearing that up, I was just repeating what I read.
    But does that mean they adapted to his sound for AJFA?

I recall an interview with Newsted just prior to the black album coming out where he explained that the tone he had for AJFA was more sutable for slap bass (funk, Larry Graham type of thing) and it didn't sit cleanly with the rhythm guitar or the bass drum. On the black album there are a lot more mid frequencies in the bass tone and that cuts through when so much of the lows are taken up by guitar and drum.

It's odd, because the tone he had on the first Flotsam And Jetsam album was pretty good and worked with the guitars and drums on a vastly smaller budget. On the other hand, it still goes back to Lars and James (still) having the biggest say in the sound of the band. They wanted a particular sound at the time and bass wasn't part of it. It's just the way it goes. I read an interview with Dan Spitz from Anthrax recently where he said that it was just the way of the time, big guitar and drums, little or no bass, it applied to Anthrax too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Doctor J wrote:
    On the other hand, it still goes back to Lars and James (still) having the biggest say in the sound of the band. They wanted a particular sound at the time and bass wasn't part of it. It's just the way it goes.

As far as I remember they only ever took two pieces of music from Newstead, Blackened and My Friend of Misery, and in 15 years of his input into the band thats got to be harsh...I'm sure he was sitting on tons of demos and bass recordings and maybe we'll hear them one day.

Perhaps thats why it was so insulting when James refused to ALLOW jason to record with a solo band while he was in Metallica, as well as refusing to use his material, because im sure he had material he wanted to use

As far as I remember they only ever took two pieces of music from Newstead, Blackened and My Friend of Misery, and in 15 years of his input into the band thats got to be harsh...I'm sure he was sitting on tons of demos and bass recordings and maybe we'll hear them one day.

Perhaps thats why it was so insulting when James refused to ALLOW jason to record with a solo band while he was in Metallica, as well as refusing to use his material, because im sure he had material he wanted to use

That's exactly it. But don't forget "Where the wild things are"...you're forgetting a third of his writting credits there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Just to drag the discussion back to Kill 'Em All, what are people's favourite song on Kill 'Em All? My personal favourite has to be The Four Horsemen although it's a close run thing with classics like No Remorse, Seek and Destroy and Anaesthesia (Pulling Teeth) also making a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

malice_ wrote:
    Just to drag the discussion back to Kill 'Em All, what are people's favourite song on Kill 'Em All? My personal favourite has to be The Four Horsemen although it's a close run thing with classics like No Remorse, Seek and Destroy and Anaesthesia (Pulling Teeth) also making a claim.

Motorbreath. Love it!!

Motorbreath and Anaesthesia.

Whiplash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Got to love Seek & Destroy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Yeah,seek and destroy...or Whiplash....or No remorse

I always get the same feeling from Kill "Em All that i get from Cowboys From Hell.
    Just real balls to the wall metal,play as fast as you can without thinking too much about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Has to be Whiplash, Jump in the fire, The four horsemen, Metal Militia.

Anyone else think the way James pronounces "motor breath" in the song fairly odd ? Sounds like "mootor breath" to me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Pyr0 wrote:

Anyone else think the way James pronounces "motor breath" in the song fairly odd ? Sounds like "mootor breath" to me :confused:

Isn't it more like Mowtaaaaar breath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Oobie wrote:
    Mowtaaaaar breath!

That sounds about right. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Oobie wrote:
    Isn't it more like Mowtaaaaar breath!

More Mowtaaaaar Baaaa-reth, I thought.

Advertisement