Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help with eircom broadband plz.

• 16-05-2006 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

I rang eircom today my broadband was set for the 22nd of may I rang on 8th of may to order it.

Now I have a few mates who told me its normally on before that so I rang eircom today and was told by the lad that it was actually done and was on. I told him I had not recieved my modem as of yet. Now he could not check the system as the part to see if my modem was dispatched.. Any way I told him I had my own ehernet based modem in the house and could I use that. He said should be fine stick it in and it should automatically pick up the broadband.

So I've put in the ethernet modem and asked it to obtain ip address automatically. Now all 3 lights came on however when I try and open a website it does not let me.

Now am I right in saying that when all 3 lights are on that dsl is in fact enabled on the line. It's not blinking just standing there.

Now I rang back and after being 20 mins on the line i eventually got through only to be told the lad I spoke to was wrong and my dsl order is still pending for the 22nd at 9am.

And that I would have to ring back to see if my modem had been sent tommorow. Now I'm just wondering why so is al 3 lights on my ethernet modem showing fine, just cant access the net.

Is there anyway I can get on the net or im not doing something right via the modem or connection setup, please help much appreaciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Dunno, if it syncs up then it's likely that the line is DSL enabled.

Have you configured the modem?

First reset it, it'll more than likely have a little pinslot on the back you can push down for 10 seconds or something, turn it off and then on again and go into the IP for the router (probably 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254)

For Eircom you'll need to use the following settings:
    Encapsulation: RFC 2516 PPPoE
    Virtual Cirtuit: 8 VPI, 35 VCI

and in username and password (different to the u/n + p/w you used to access your modem IP) put your phone number (in the form of 01-1234567 or whatever the area code is) as username and account number (it's on your Eircom phone bill) as password.

Save those settings and see if it works

Edit: Oh by the way google the make and model of the modem for the manual for it and see what the IP to access and username/password to enter for the router (usually admin, admin or admin, 1234)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

steveland? wrote:
    Dunno, if it syncs up then it's likely that the line is DSL enabled.

Have you configured the modem?

First reset it, it'll more than likely have a little pinslot on the back you can push down for 10 seconds or something, turn it off and then on again and go into the IP for the router (probably 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254)

For Eircom you'll need to use the following settings:
    Encapsulation: RFC 2516 PPPoE
    Virtual Cirtuit: 8 VPI, 35 VCI

and in username and password (different to the u/n + p/w you used to access your modem IP) put your phone number (in the form of 01-1234567 or whatever the area code is) as username and account number (it's on your Eircom phone bill) as password.

Save those settings and see if it works

Edit: Oh by the way google the make and model of the modem for the manual for it and see what the IP to access and username/password to enter for the router (usually admin, admin or admin, 1234)

I have never heard of Eircom using a phone number as a password. According to the website the basic settings are:
    Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

K but how the hello do i get those settings.

Im using an ericsson hm230dp adsl router, its ethernet based and I dont have a clue what im doing, im desperate to get this workin :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As far as I can see thats a fairly old modem so the chances are its been used before? If that is the case probably the only settings you will need to change are the user name and password. I had a search on the net and cant find a users manual - if by any chance you have a cd for the modem it may also contain the manual.

Most routers are accessed through a browser by typing http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 you may then be asked for a sign in and password to access the router itself this is usually admin and admin or admin and password

If you are lucky enough and get beyond that you will be at the set up page and enter the details above. If there is a status page somewhere in there it should tell you whether you have actually a connection with Eircom by showing the speed you are syncing at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

That router was supplied by esat for their llu dsl product. I don't know if it supported PPoE (I thnink it supports PPoA).<edit> it does support PPPoE</edit>
    look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-77506.html
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-86836.html

I think esat locked the web interface, though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

so basically i can't configure the router, I'll have to either wait for them to send me one or else go and buy a new one.

But am i defo right in saying no way would the 3 lights come up on the router unless the line had been enabled. ??

Advertisement