Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch/Accelerator/Revs problem

Options
  • 16-05-2006 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a problem that has recently developed on my '98 Mondeo. Every time I clutch the revs raise slightly, by about 100rpm in fact. It doesn't make a difference if I'm at 2000rpm or 3000rpm when I clutch, the engine revs higher by 100 for about 5 seconds and then very slowly drops back to idle. The idle speed is now about 1500rpm, used to be 1000 before today.
    Just to summarise. I come all off the power, clutch in, revs raise and stay there for 5 secs, then drop to 1500.
    I'm just wondering if my accelerator is sticking or is my clutch on the way out. I'm fairly inexperienced with these matters so any help would be appreciated.
    1998 Ford Mondeo 1.8 zetec GLX aircon
    150,000 miles
    Timing belt changed two months ago.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I wonder is something tugging your accelerator cable when you dip the clutch??? It sounds silly but you never know.

Its also possible there is a clutch postion switch which is defective - I dont know if there is such a switch on a 98 Mondeo - maybe someone else knows for definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I'm not sure but it could be the clutch or the pedal box on the car or both and that will cost you im afraid if is. I think your best geting it looked at before you do anymore damage........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers guys,
    I'll get it checked out and post up any solution. I kind of knew I'd end up in the shop with it anyway but it can't hurt to ask around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When you are find yourself at 1500rpm ('high' tickover) and gearbox in neutral, try very quickly depressing the throttle all the way and releasing it immediately. If you want to try this while in gear, be very sure you have the clutch fully depressed when you do so!

This should/may drop the revs to the proper tickover. Possibly a sticky throttle mechanism? More wasteful of fuel than dangerous, IMHO.

Not your ornery onager

Cheers Esel,
    I used to have that problem with my old micra and that used to sort it. Not working here I'm afraid. I'll bring it to a mechanic if I can't see anything obviously wrong myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

To see if its your clutch on the way out do the following:

Start the car, Put it in First, Gently come off the clutch to the "bite" and if she moves without conking you can rule the clutch out!!
    This was happening on my car recently! Do you notice anything different while driving it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

id say its you 'Idle speed control switch'
    or air bypass as ford call it.its very arkward to reach & will probably just need cleaning out with brake cleaner or carb cleaner.
    a new one is about €70 i think.
    as for the clutch the '98 mondeo had a hydrolic clutch (no cable)
    here's a link about the I.S.C.V http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/Idle.html#Idle%20Speed%20Control%20valve
    juck click when you see 'idle speed control valve';)
    hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
    you're not called Mondeoman for nothing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Roen wrote:
    Cheers,
    you're not called Mondeoman for nothing ;)

No Problem M8,
    This is how Ford check that your clutch is not slipping

TEST CLUTCH SLIPPAGE

1 Chock the wheels and apply the parking brake.

3 Start the engine, depress the clutch pedal and engage fourth gear.

4 Run the engine at approximately 2000 rpm.

5 Release the clutch pedal slowly.

6 Does the engine stall when the clutch pedal is fully released?

Yes = clutch is ok

No = clutch slipping.

:D

Advertisement