Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radio upgrade options for a 2003 BMW 320D

Options
  • 16-05-2006 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in the process of buying a 2003 BMW 320D.

It comes with usual standard horrible in-dash BMW Radio/Cassette.

This unit isn't the usual generic car-radio shape, but very specific to the dash.

Is there anyway I could upgrade it on this particular model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There are plenty of kits available similar to the ones listed in the link.

http://www.installer.com/kits/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The fitting kits for an aftermarket headunit in an E46 BMW mount the headunit to one side of the dash - looks a bit odd. If you can live with it, you pick up the kit for €20 or so.

FP06-04.jpg

There is a centred one available from BMW, but they'll relieve you of €160 or so for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

What plonker spends that much money on a bmw and doesnt even get a cd player?

Or more to the point, what makes car manufacturers think that the more expensive their cars are the less they can provide as accessories (VW in particular)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The 320D comes prewired for a 6 CD changer in the boot, but it is probably expensive enough for the unit. I think there was a thread here about the 320D CD player a few weeks ago.

Personally, I don't think the stereo looks all that bad; I rather like the integrated look. The tape part looks a little dated, but on the upside it means I can connect my MP3 player easily enough. I don't know if the '03 model is any different to the '00 one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I like the tape player in mine - got the changer for €150 or so too. I don't think aftermaret head units suit the E46, so I wired up my stock system to a signal processor and high end alpine gear and the sound now is amazing, but still looks factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What plonker spends that much money on a bmw and doesnt even get a cd player?

My bad. The car did have the 6-disc changer in the boot.

Those converters look interesting, but I'd say they'd spoil the look of the dash.

It would be nice to get something with a removable HD to play MP3s, but, meh.

Advertisement