Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Perfect 10??

• 16-05-2006 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what in your opinion is the 'perfect size' for an average woman/girl. According to alot of people(alot Americans) this size is a pefect 10.yet and american 10 is an irish 14!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

Yipee I'm a 10.

Although I got a size 8 dress in town today.

I'd say 10/12 is ''perfect''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

well a size 8 on a tall woman is differnt to a size 8 on a petite woman... one means the person is too skinny whereas the other is just right, respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

'Cos we love our loves
    In different sizes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

if i knew what womens sizes meant then i would like a 10,or would i:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

14 is curvy, 12 is average 10 is slim, 8 is nice and slim(depending on the woman) and 6 is boney
    ----
    most irish women would be a 10/12 depending on there proportions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

like a 12 so,pm me ladies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

gotta be a 12! or a 14 depending on the woman. 8 would be a bit too small for me unless she was very petite.

In sayng that i've know some very attractive 16/18.... some big women just do it justice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

According to alot of people(alot Americans) this size is a pefect 10.yet and american 10 is an irish 14!

I think that term refers more to being a perfect 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Sizes in the states mean nothing because they vary widely from brand to brand of clothing. There are actually size zero jeans now, i think about 10 years ago that would have abeen a 4 or 5. The manufacturers keep making the sizes smaller so women will feel good buying their clothes because they can get into a "smaller" size, ridiculous i know :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

I know it's stupid but I do that, I'll buy clothes from A WEAR and Jane Norman, because if I buy a dress there it will be a 12 and if i buy it in Penneys it will be a 14, even though physically they're the same size:rolleyes:

I think different places take there measurements from different nationalities?
    And sure most of the current womens sizes were gained from the 1950's were the standard was set.
    In the 2000's women are taller with larger busts and waists, i dont think all clothles sizes have kept up with this, thats why you have such differences between one shop and another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Sizing in the States is not equal to European sizing; US 0 is our size 4 so our size ten is a six in the States.

I think, as another post said, a perfect ten has more to do with position a scale of one-to-ten than the size label on your clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Haven't these sizes been getting smaller; like what a 10 is today is what a 14 was years ago? I think this 'size' system is a bit silly to try and base any comparisons on tbh.

It seems deliberately vague and meaningless so that women spend more time in shops trying things on, and thus spend more money but that's just a guy's opinion. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

There's no perfect size really since everyone is different shape but size 16 would be pushing on fat clothes in fashion shops like river island don't go past 16

But you can order clothes for the larger women from catalouges from 14 to 28 :eek:

You could be really thin but bigboned so you'd need a big size like 14 you could also be small framed but cubby and wear a 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭mazroo

on the top shop web page a ten is 34inch bust 36inch hip and 27inch waist
    12 is 36 inch bust 29 waist and 37 inch hips 14 is 38 bust 31 waist and 39 hip..

Size ten!!!! thats small... well to me.. im a twelve. Id rather be a lil looser in the 12 but it fits just right with no disgusting overhang.Size differs from shop to shop. I also like a-ware and bershka can have some forgiving jeans.. IE sometimes you fit into the size down.. and have a smug look on your face for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was just wondering what in your opinion is the 'perfect size' for an average woman/girl. According to alot of people(alot Americans) this size is a pefect 10.yet and american 10 is an irish 14!
    Are you confusing this with the concept of "10 out of 10" = "Perfect 10" or the film "10" which is associated with the phrase "Perfect 10"

Indeed there is a "model" magazine (i.e. men's magazine) called Perfect 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

tovalee wrote:
    I think that term refers more to being a perfect 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Sizes in the states mean nothing because they vary widely from brand to brand of clothing. There are actually size zero jeans now, i think about 10 years ago that would have abeen a 4 or 5. The manufacturers keep making the sizes smaller so women will feel good buying their clothes because they can get into a "smaller" size, ridiculous i know :rolleyes:

they actually go to minus sizes im not sure how far but there definatly -1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It really depends on how tall the girl is, my gf is about 5'9" and she's a 10 & it looks great but saying that if she was 5' then it might not look so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭mazroo

It really depends on how tall the girl is, my gf is about 5'9" and she's a 10 & it looks great but saying that if she was 5' then it might not look so good.

Smart lad...Ur right.. also its taste. Id say your g friend has a really nice body... I am 5'6 and 12 but i like it and have no complaints:) if you carry it well and are toned... cool.. confidance is key hear everyone

Its all down to weather you can carry off how you look and dress to suit your shape....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I agree, as long as you wear something that you're comfortable in and you can pull it off, well three cheers!

I'm generally a size 10, 5'6 but in the likes of shops (River Island is a big culprit) which make tiny sizes I could be a 12. I love the Designer at Debenham's ranges because I'm always a size 10 and have gotten a few size 8 tops which I love! American sizes are completely different, I'm a size 6-8 in the States.

All the different high street stores here do measure clothes and cut them differently, women are larger than they were 50 years ago so they've slightly upped clothes in measurement but have kept the sizes the same.

Anyone else sometimes find River Island annoying with sizes, especially jeans!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'd go for a 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm generally a size 10, 5'6 but in the likes of shops (River Island is a big culprit) which make tiny sizes I could be a 12. I love the Designer at Debenham's ranges because I'm always a size 10 and have gotten a few size 8 tops which I love! American sizes are completely different, I'm a size 6-8 in the States.

Exactly the same as you except 2" smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

mazroo wrote:
    Smart lad...Ur right.. also its taste. Id say your g friend has a really nice body... I am 5'6 and 12 but i like it and have no complaints:) if you carry it well and are toned... cool.. confidance is key hear everyone

yeah she does, nice bum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I'm 5'8" and generally an 8-10. Occassionally a 12, but more often an eight.
    So many shops don't have clothes that fit me properly, they're always slightly out in one aspect or another.

The most important thing is that your clothes fit you properly imo, regardless of the numbers. It's the best way of increasing your confidence in your appearance. :)

Advertisement