Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebreathers

• 16-05-2006 10:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭

Divernet News, dateline 16 May 2006
    Incident off Littlehampton leads to death
    A diver is reported to have died after diving on a wreck off Littlehampton, Sussex on Sunday.

The diver, reported to be a man in his late 30s, was in a group diving from a diving charter vessel about seven miles south of Littlehampton. According to the Coastguard, he was found unconscious at the surface after ascending at around midday.

According to the charter vessel's owner, the diver had been using a rebreather, which may or may not have had any relevance to the accident. According to the Coastguard Watch Manager involved in the incident, it was thought that the diver may "have experienced a cardiac arrest".

The casualty was taken aboard the dive boat and given first aid by group members, who reportedly included a nurse. He was airlifted by rescue helicopter to Queen Alexandria Hospital, but did not survive. A post mortem is being carried out, and local police are investigating the incident.

Does anyone use rebreathers, they certainly seem to have a bad name recently, I personally would be slow to use one.

Any thoughts ??

Benny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

ive looked into them but there is too much maintainence with cleaner co2 scrubbers and making sure that they are functioning correctly etc etc.

ill be sticking with air and nitrox thanks very much...

there is a few guys on here that are experienced in the use of rebreathers afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I did the Inspiration Mod 1 course and am putting the shillings together for one now.

Any speculation regarding the incident is just that, speculation.

I can say that if not used correctly a rebreather is dangerous. About as dangerous as not monitoring your SPG and going OOA at depth. About as dangerous as driving your car too fast. About as dangerous as crossing the road without paying full attention to what you are doing.

Just because someone died using a rebreather shouldn't reflect on the rebreather. It could easily be diver error or other factors (ie. lack of fitness etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

Peace wrote:
    I did the Inspiration Mod 1 course and am putting the shillings together for one now.

I can say that if not used correctly a rebreather is dangerous. About as dangerous as not monitoring your SPG and going OOA at depth. About as dangerous as driving your car too fast. About as dangerous as crossing the road without paying full attention to what you are doing.

Just because someone died using a rebreather shouldn't reflect on the rebreather. It could easily be diver error or other factors (ie. lack of fitness etc .

never a truer word said.....

@peace : where did you do the rebreather course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

never a truer word said.....

@peace : where did you do the rebreather course?

I did the course with a group of friends in Malin Head. The instructors came from the UK (Mark Hooson) and Menorca (Simon Townsend).

We stayed in the Dive Lodge run by Geoff Millar (aka Divenorth) and dived from his boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Mick F

Peace wrote:

F*ck me!! A calm and measured response to a rebreather death. Whatever next?

OK, smartarse mode off. Peace is absolutely right. Rebreathers are potentially very dangerous and do take a bit more prepping than open circuit. They also do require special training, and a very alert user. They will kill if the diver is not doing what they were taught on their course.

Having said that, so long as the diver uses them correctly, maintains them properly, and most importantly of all, changes the scrubber well within the required parameters, then they offer a completely different diving experience.

I am an RB newbie and currently have less than 20 hours up on my unit, but even with my dodgy bouyancy skills (bouncing along the bottom like a slinky spring down a stairway!) I can really appreciate the difference. The fish will come closer, gas management ain't a problem. NDL times go through the roof.

It's horses for courses, but it suits me.

Mick F.

• Advertisement
Advertisement