Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Smart Firmware Update

• 16-05-2006 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Friend of mine was updating the firmware on his S.T supplied router and in the middle of the firmware upgrade something went wrong and lost connectivity. Since then his modem doesnt work!The dsl light flashes and then goes dark, then starts to flash again, but not staying on green, He has pressed and held the reset button but this has not helped the cause. When he connects his laptop directly up the router does not hand him out a IP at all and he cannot ping the router.
    Any idea or advice?On a temp side, he does have an eircom Netopia lying around, is it possible to set that up to work with Smart Telecoms connection?
    Thank for your help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Any advice > Yeah, read the instructions where it tells you to use a wired connection to do firmware upgrades. :rolleyes:

No the Netopia is ADSL smart is ADSL2+ so it won't work as they use different frequencies IIRC

Try ringing Smart explain the situation and see if they'll send out a new one.

Better one, just tell them it has stopped working... did I say that??? Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just to clarify, was he connected to the router using a wired or wireless connection?
    You will lose wired and wireless connectivity during a firmware update like this-but if connectivity was not restored through a wired connection then you have a major problem.
    As a matter of interest was the power cut to the router during the update? This is what will cause the most damage....and the router will most likely need to be returned to the vendor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Any advice > Yeah, read the instructions where it tells you to use a wired connection to do firmware upgrades. :rolleyes:
    Bit sarcastic there - the smart telecom standard supplied router is a non-wireless version, just wired. Unless he payed out €140 for the wireless version, which he hasn't mentioned, let's just assume he's on wired with a PC when he tried updating.
    No the Netopia is ADSL smart is ADSL2+ so it won't work
    The connection will work so long as his line is in the parameters of an ADSL1 connection. However, the connection won't have the full stability of an ADSL2+ connection. Also, if the OP is too far from the exchange or his line is noisy, then this may present some problems, be it in the form of slow sync, dropouts or inability to connect at all.
    Try ringing Smart explain the situation and see if they'll send out a new one.

Better one, just tell them it has stopped working... did I say that??? Nope
    OK, you seem to be in a bad mood today. Thankfully though, it seems the OP has got some advice elsewhere already and posted it on the smart support forums here. All that has to be done is tell them what happened regarding the firmware upgrade and they will usually replace the modem - this isn't the first case of firmware failing to update and then mucking up a router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm the guy with the router that is dead.

Being a sarcastic guy myself I dont take offence to munstercycling's comment on reading the instructions. The upgrade was performed on a windows Xp SP2 laptop, with all processes killed other then the usual system ones. Antivirus was turned off in case it wrote to the disk during the update. I connected through a wired-connection, 10Mb Full-duplex. I set the card to auto negotiate first and then tied it down to 10-full. It was the perfect situation for an upgrade.

I started the upgrade, it started upgrading, then stopped, then the webpage timed out, now it won't reset, there are lights on it it, and it recognises when an ethernet cable is plugged in, but it does not sync, and it wont give me an ip address. if I give myself an IP it still does not reply to pings. I think it is fscked.

It happens, thats life. Also the reason I was upgrading was because I was getting slow speeds, losing sync, and instability of connection, which may have been down to the router in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Kensington > And you are? ;) BTW I'm in a BAD mood EVERYDAY!!! LOL

@ skylops: My comment was made because so many people try to use the wireless connection to do something that is expressly stated should be done over a wired connection. You didn't have to go that far in the prep for the firmware update, taking out the virus scanner and booting to safe mode would have done it for you.

Anyway give smart a call and get them to send out a new modem (preferably with the updated firmware preinstalled ;)) and all should be rosy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

From the sound of it your router has been bricked. No way to fix it so ask Smart from a new one. As MC said you might want to leave out the fact that you tried to update firmware in case they kick up a fuss.

If they turn your request down then you'll have to buy your own router.

Advertisement